Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Some other reasons why screw mount lenses tend to be cheaper than K mount - supply, supply, supply. Simply, there were more screw mount camera body makes and for a while there Pentax ruled a corner of the SLR market. By K mount time, Pentax market position wasn't the same... Nikon, Canon, Konica, Minolta had taken over, and soon enough Olympus with the OM. So one reason used K mount glass can be more expensive - there's not enough supply.

Mixing K and screw really is no big deal- like Shashinki says, you just make a decision at the beginning which mount you'll be using and go. In many ways screw mount is easier to use than non A K-mount.
Easier? Thats interesting, how so?

Yeah I guess I could.

09-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
Easier? Thats interesting, how so?

Yeah I guess I could.
Easier because you can use a screwmount lens in AV mode. Metering isn't as accurate in AV mode, and the viewfinder gets dimmer as you stop down, but you can use EV+- to compensate for the inaccuracy and it's not that hard to focus wide open then stop down.
09-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On my KX whenever I use my SMC Takumar 50mm 1.4 in AV mode it does meter pretty well after I dial in positive 2 EV.
09-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by agsy Quote
One other option would be...to find a way to bind the adapter to the lens and have an adapter for each.
That's very feasible. I have two M42 lenses with fixed M42 adapters adjusted so that the aperture scale isn't hidden under the flash bulge.

I've set up a K100DS to semi-permanently retain the M42 adapter for use with the thirteen M42 lenses I have. With the menu tuned for center weighted metering and manual exposure mode the package seems very much like using my old Spotmatic. And it's a real pleasure to freely use the older lenses with the additional convenience of flexible ISO, WB and SR.

In addition, I've semi-permanently mounted an M42 adapter to a favorite Super Tak 50mm/F1.4 to use with other K-mount bodies. A dab of rubber cement or clear, acrylic finger nail polish on the adapter threads helps keep the lens secure.

H2

09-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #20
Veteran Member

When I was trying to decide which old Pentax SLR to go with the M42 vs K mount thing was a major factor. In the end I chose the M42's and an SPII because I could get them cheaper and because I didn't find the M42 mount nearly as annoying as some people seem to.

At this point I've used both a bayonet mount (C/Y) camera and a screw mount camera and I don't see any real difference in terms of ease of use between them. I haven't had the need to use an adapter, no DSLR here yet, but I'm sure that won't slow me down that much if I make sure it's a good one.

Ultimately it's about what's comfortable to you. Some people prefer bayonet, some prefer screw mount lenses, some use both.
09-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Binding adapters:

Rather than the expensive Official Pentax M42-PK adapter, many of us use cheap clones (often badged as Bower) AFTER REMOVING THE SCREW AND CLIP! (Very important, very easy.) Some use the cheap safe flanged adapters, sometimes after cutting off the flange so that infinity focus is retained. Either way, just screw the adapter onto the lens; use a rear lens cap as a wrench to tighten it. I use a couple dozenm of these and I haven't lost a lens yet.

Cheap screwmounts:

In the last couple weeks I've scored these M42's:

* Mamiya Sekor 55/1.8 (US$6.50)
* Sears-Ricoh 55/1.4 (US$16)

And a few in PK mounts:

* X-Fujinon FM 50/1:1.9 (<US$2)
* unnamed (Cosina?) 50/2 (US$3) new
* Sears-Ricoh 135/2.8M (US$3) like new

Plus shipping. Plus cheap stuff in other mounts that will take minimal modification to fit on my K20D. Meanwhile, I've seen scads of Tak f/2 50-55's NOT sell for US$10. And some really really good stuff, like the gem of a Tele-Tak 200/5.6, usually goes for well under US$50. I haven't even bothered looking at Vivitars, or almost anything selling for over US$20 (I'm on a maximally tight budget now).

Yes, old manual primes can still be a real deal, M42's and PK's alike.
09-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Binding adapters:

Rather than the expensive Official Pentax M42-PK adapter, many of us use cheap clones (often badged as Bower) AFTER REMOVING THE SCREW AND CLIP! (Very important, very easy.) Some use the cheap safe flanged adapters, sometimes after cutting off the flange so that infinity focus is retained. Either way, just screw the adapter onto the lens; use a rear lens cap as a wrench to tighten it. I use a couple dozenm of these and I haven't lost a lens yet.

Cheap screwmounts:

In the last couple weeks I've scored these M42's:

* Mamiya Sekor 55/1.8 (US$6.50)
* Sears-Ricoh 55/1.4 (US$16)

And a few in PK mounts:

* X-Fujinon FM 50/1:1.9 (<US$2)
* unnamed (Cosina?) 50/2 (US$3) new
* Sears-Ricoh 135/2.8M (US$3) like new

Plus shipping. Plus cheap stuff in other mounts that will take minimal modification to fit on my K20D. Meanwhile, I've seen scads of Tak f/2 50-55's NOT sell for US$10. And some really really good stuff, like the gem of a Tele-Tak 200/5.6, usually goes for well under US$50. I haven't even bothered looking at Vivitars, or almost anything selling for over US$20 (I'm on a maximally tight budget now).

Yes, old manual primes can still be a real deal, M42's and PK's alike.
Wow how did you get those for so cheap? Is there a better site then ebay for lenses? I looked up that Mamiya Sekor 55/1.8 on ebay and someone was selling it for around 200 O_O.

09-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I haven't even bothered looking at Vivitars, or almost anything selling for over US$20 (I'm on a maximally tight budget now).
The Series 1 Vivitars still fetch a pretty penny in M42 mount (over $300 for certain lenses), sometimes even more than in K mount because in M42 mount you're competing with photographers from other brands (Canon, Nikon, Sony...) who can also adapt them for their cameras.

09-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
The Series 1 Vivitars still fetch a pretty penny in M42 mount (over $300 for certain lenses), sometimes even more than in K mount because in M42 mount you're competing with photographers from other brands (Canon, Nikon, Sony...) who can also adapt them for their cameras.

Damn 300 dollars is probably something I would never pay unless I had a great job and it was godly .
09-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I put an M42 kit together 11 lenses a tc and a few other bits and peices for $800. For that I got 24, 28, 35, 50, 85, 105, 135, and 200 mm lenses from a variety of makers along with a 50 mm smc tak macro. About half my lenses are taks along with some lesser known but fine lenses. I would think a k mount kit would probably be about 50%more for the same lenses
09-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Nice collection
09-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I dont think switching lenses is that much of a hassle to be honest between m42 and K -mount

but like others have said, the M42 mount lenses are really well made and about 1/5 - 1/10th of the price of modern lenses with similar or better optical characteristics (IMO)

re: aperture for the KX if you shoot in M mode the metering is almost always bang on, if I use AV mode I have to dal in 1-2 full stops

In the last 4 months I managed to acquire these lenses

28 35 50 55 135 and 200 total cost of : 225 dollars + official K > M42 adapter for 30
best money Ive ever spent on photography!

D163
09-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Are you guys using other sources besides ebay for lens purchase? Is there some kind of ebay site just for camera stuff?
09-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

eBay is not the only source but I suppose it is the biggest. You do have to be patient. There are a number of sellers with buy it now prices 4 or even 5 times what auctions for the same lens close for. Do your homework set your price and realize you will not win them all and that is OK since there will be another auction next week.

It has taken almost a year but I now have a 20, 24, 28, 35, 50, 105, 120, 135, 150, 200, 300 and 400 all Super-Multi-Coated Takumar. I still want an 85mm but they are expensive. And maybe someday a 17mm/4 fish-eye.

As someone pointed out earlier not all M42's are cheap but unless you want something specific I cannot think of a less expensive way to put together a full kit. If you are willing to use manual focus and manual exposure. You can also use Av exposure with some adjustments on many M42's. For a basic kit (35mm, 50 or 55mm and a 135mm) you can probably get all three for $100 - $150 if you are careful.

I have not touched a k-Mount in 3 months now, I went cold turkey on M42's by finally removing my kit lens from my bag.

Check out the Takumar Club for a good discussion on using Takumar M42 lenses.
09-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
Wow how did you get those for so cheap? Is there a better site then ebay for lenses? I looked up that Mamiya Sekor 55/1.8 on ebay and someone was selling it for around 200 O_O.
I'm sailing the bay now. That MS 55/1.8 is a bit dinged but optically good. How do I get them cheap? Well, maybe you've heard the one about how you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince(ss). I bid low a lot, and sometimes I get lucky, and I miss 99% of them. I went a bit overboard to get the Sears-Ricoh 55/1.4 for US$16, which arrived today. Then a couple hours ago I missed a Tak 50/1.4 because I was a little too slow to snipe; it went for under US$34. I've about given up on getting old Nikkors to modify, cause the Nikoners are pretty alert and have deeper pockets.

Oh yeah, when you see something being 'sold' for a high price, check if anyone is actually BIDDING at that level. There are so many BINs (buy-it-now's) and high reserves and such, that don't sell. These get relisted forever because basic listings are free. They just wait there until somebody desperate for JUST THAT THING bites.