Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yeah I have noticed that people are putting these up for much more then what they are listed for in the lens database here. Out of curiosity though, are those prices pretty accurate? Before I decided on getting K-7 I was buying Older Nikon Manual lenses but people have told me that Pentax manuals are cheaper.

Like here is an example:

Vivitar MC 28mm f/2.8 Wide Angle Lens Pentax Mount - eBay (item 140430015161 end time Sep-18-10 12:14:21 PDT)

and

Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 for Nikon Mount - eBay (item 250694553954 end time Sep-16-10 10:16:35 PDT)

Would that be an example of overcharging?

09-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
old Nikkors to modify
Oh yea about this, are they hard to modify? I heard Nikons could be used on this and that would be great since I love the two lenses I posted in this thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/25368-using-ca...ax-body-2.html
09-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Modifying Nikkors: I semi-answered that on your other thread. But basically, an AI(?) base with an arc and nub at the bottom of the aperture ring is easy to modify. After the first and most expensive (Nikkor 85/2) which I fretted over for a couple days, I'm at the point where the whole process takes 10-15 minutes, including the time it takes to haul my Dremel, dikes (wire-snippers) and screwdrivers out to the back porch railing where I work. The workflow:

* Unscrew the 3 screws that hold the base on.
* Carefully lift off the aperture ring. Note its orientation.
* With a Dremel metal-cutting blade #426, cut off the arc and nub.
* Sand/polish the bottom of the aperture ring till it's smooth.
* Replace aperture ring and base. Blow away dust.
* If any linkage tabs stick way out from the base, snip them off.
* Mount lens on PK camera and have at it!

As to whether those Vivs are overpriced -- maybe someone else here is authoritative. I ain't.
09-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Try kijiji and craigslist too

09-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Rio Rico I like your no-frills approach to lens conversions. Like you, I start hesitating with lenses passing the, say, 100$-threshold.
Absurdly, some lenses loose a lot of value when converted - blame it on the collectors .-)

Abstract, I understand you are looking for a nice 28mm lens and it might be a Vivitar. Therefore, you must have a look here too:
The Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary by Robin Parmar. Your ebay-Pentax-Vivitar lens is a Cosina lens and the Nikon could be one, too.
Note that Vivitar never made lenses themselves.

I can't leave without hinting to some easy ways to really take advantage of cheap quality glass to put on your Pentax camera. Regarding
real quality 28mm lenses it has got to be the M42 SMC 28/3.5 firstly, but I'll conclude with the Yashica ML 28/2.8 (second version). This
lens is very similar to its Carl Zeiss brethren on APS-C format and shares this attribute with the 50/1.4 - my 'best-bang-for-buck'
recommendation if you like the Zeiss look - in wide angle lenses it is really hard not to.

Last edited by georgweb; 09-13-2010 at 09:33 AM.
09-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just figured out something very interesting. When using m42 lenses the 6 o'clock pins are not shorted out (unlike when using manual Pentax lenses) therefore the metering is not accurate in Av mode. Shorting out the pins with a piece of aluminum foil fixes the metering and also makes it possible to use the catch-in-focus feature. I am now a happy user of my Takumar 50 1.4 .
09-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, I will definitely keep all of this in mind...Bookemarked most of these links, thanks a bunch...Vivitar especially, that always confused me.
05-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Reply to AGSY

I would like to see a picture of your method for shorting the A pins to get correct AV metering with M42 lenses.

I have noticed the +2EV problem with two M42 lenses and would like a solution - so I do not forget to set back to normal when I use an A lens.

05-05-2011, 02:11 AM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I would like to see a picture of your method for shorting the A pins to get correct AV metering with M42 lenses.

I have noticed the +2EV problem with two M42 lenses and would like a solution - so I do not forget to set back to normal when I use an A lens.
The best way I've found is to use a bit of metallic aluminum tape stuck to the lens. I have also scrapped paint off the lens base to expose the metal. Aluminum foil works for testing but is awkward for routine use.
05-05-2011, 05:26 AM   #40
Site Supporter

terminal shoritng picture

Thanks. Pictures tell a lot. I got my first Super Tak today.
05-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #41
Site Supporter

I would not permanently fix a mount adapter to a m42 lens (I have started collecting a few) because it will devalue the lenses in the market, and might be a problem if the lens needs other servicing (making it hard to access screw points).
An intermediate step wouldbe to buy a screw mount adapter for each lens and normally keep them screwed on. BTW, the screw mount adapter should be mounted to the lens first, then put on camera - otherwise the adpater seems to recede a little into the preventing the lens seating properly at the right orientation.
05-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #42
Veteran Member

tim60, you are quite right. Permanent adaptation is unwarranted. An adapter can be securely attached by using a rear lens cap as a wrench to tighten it on the lens body, and to remove it as desired. Some of my M42's have hosted adapters for so long that I've almost forgotten they aren't native PK mount. Yet if I find myself needing an adapter for another lens, one can be easily moved.
05-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reply to AGSY I would like to see a picture of your method for shorting the A pins to get correct AV metering with M42 lenses. I have noticed the +2EV problem with two M42 lenses and would like a solution - so I do not forget to set back to normal when I use an A lens.
Sorry, I do not my Takumar any more, but newarts's pictures are what you need. I think Takumars are one of a kind excellent lenses.
05-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #44
Site Supporter

I would not permanently fix a mount adapter to a m42 lens (I have started collecting a few) because it will devalue the lenses in the market, and might be a problem if the lens needs other servicing (making it hard to access screw points).
An intermediate step wouldbe to buy a screw mount adapter for each lens and normally keep them screwed on. BTW, the screw mount adapter should be mounted to the lens first, then put on camera - otherwise the adpater seems to recede a little into the preventing the lens seating properly at the right orientation.
i apply hot glue or rubber cement to the threads and mount the adaptors semi-permanently...this holds well but can be easily removed later without leaving any residue. Also, you can dial in where the lens markings will line up on the camera body by doing this. I have an array of official Pentax as well as knockoff adaptors and my best fitting adaptor was only ~$6 (USD) new. there are also some real crap adaptors out there so beware.