Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
So screwmount(M42) lenses...Is it just my imagination or are they much cheaper?

Then any other kinds of lenses while providing the same IQ as newer or K mounts? I ask this because I been digging into Ebay lately looking around at everything and I see Screwmount(M42) mount lenses are going for much less money...Sometimes half for the same specs and as I am looking them up they seem well reviewed. Since I want to buy multiple lenses soon I was wondering IF I went with all Screwmount lenses I could Just leave the converter on and it would Just be like changing lenses normally?

I plan on Buying a Zoom, and a couple primes....I Just can't seem to find a relatively cheap wide lens(18-24)...I am sure I will eventually come across this though, I hope. Just curious about all of this, since this site has been the most informative I have been on thought I would ask here. I already know what adapter to buy and how to connect it from the other information provided here, seems simple enough.

09-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It's a pain in the ass if you plan to use both M42 and K-mount lenses and swap the adapter all the time. Some of the SMC lenses are worth it though...

Wide zooms did not exist in the M42 era.
09-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Generally m42 zoom is cheaper than prime, but much bigger and heavier. Price wise m42 is generally lower compared to modern AF lens, but has steadily in the upswing as more people are interested. I use m42 prime a lot so I just leave the adapter on. It's fun to use these lenses made half a century ago.
09-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I see so they use to be cheaper, guess I missed out on that, they still seem pretty cheap for the most part from what I see, most are under 50 that I have seen...which is pretty great I think. I am not looking for a wide zoom, just a wide lens in general between the mm of 18-24 mainly because I know how it really equals out to less wideness on a camera that is not full frame. Heft doesn't bother me so much for some reason...so thats ok I would guess.

09-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter

It's pretty hard to generalize. Many M42 lenses are pretty inexpensive, yes, and there are some excellent ones. But there are some pretty bad ones too!

I think the best old-lens values are in the normal-to-moderate-tele range, more or less 28mm to 135mm, especially primes. Many old lenses in this range have outstanding image quality.

Once you start going really wide, or really long, though, you might miss some of the MAJOR improvements contributed by modern lens technologies (aspherical lens elements, various flavors of low-dispersion glass, etc.). Modern lenses have taken great strides in correcting distortions and minimizing chromatic aberration. And I haven't even mentioned lens coating improvements!

Personally, I stick to primes, and avoid old manual zoom lenses, whether K-mount or M42. Because the camera can't tell what focal length a zoom is set to, you have to choose a single value for your shake reduction, and any zooming you do away from that value will reduce the effectiveness of SR. This might or might not be important to you, but it's worth mentioning.
09-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I wish you were right.....but I have to disagree......that is if you're talking about genuine Asahi Pentax items, particularly the later Super Multi Coated series.
Some are reasonably priced, but try & purchase something like a 15mm, 17mm, 24mm, 85mm 1.8, 120 2.8, etc etc in original condition with hood, caps, case etc, & you'll find they're pretty expensive.....and becoming more so, as more enthusiasts become aware of their optical qualities.
Cheers, Pickles.
09-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hmmm I see, I have to be careful then...So lets say I go with some K mounts and some M42...Is switching that much of a pain? I mean I am gonna assume it will take twice the amount of time to take off the M42 lens and that it right? Honestly its between these two types. I will probably never buy a new lens from lets say B+H because I do not have hundreds to spend and I find it nearly impossible to justify a newer lens since I don't use auto-focus( I like maximum control I guess)
09-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
I wish you were right.....but I have to disagree......that is if you're talking about genuine Asahi Pentax items, particularly the later Super Multi Coated series.
Some are reasonably priced, but try & purchase something like a 15mm, 17mm, 24mm, 85mm 1.8, 120 2.8, etc etc in original condition with hood, caps, case etc, & you'll find they're pretty expensive.....and becoming more so, as more enthusiasts become aware of their optical qualities.
Cheers, Pickles.
I see what you mean....Thats a shame, guess I am part of the problem then since I am more aware now...that was bound to happen though since I never could afford new lenses so I researched into this.

09-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you are using both M42 and K-mount.. if you want to swap between them, first you have to unscrew the M42 lens (screwscrewscrewscrew), then you need to remove the adapter (fingernailbreakingtime) then put the K-mount lens in. And then if you want to change back to M42 you have to do the same procedure backwards.

So when I'm out shooting I either go all M42 or all K-mount. Mixing them up is just annoying.
09-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
If you are using both M42 and K-mount.. if you want to swap between them, first you have to unscrew the M42 lens (screwscrewscrewscrew), then you need to remove the adapter (fingernailbreakingtime) then put the K-mount lens in. And then if you want to change back to M42 you have to do the same procedure backwards.

So when I'm out shooting I either go all M42 or all K-mount. Mixing them up is just annoying.
Guess its decision time...That sounds like way to much of a pain...hmmm...
09-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

One other option would be IMO (more expensive tho) to find a way to bind the adapter to the lens and have an adapter for each. That way it would take the same amount of effort than changing a K-mount lens.
09-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Is that even possible? That would be interesting to do maybe...I mean lets say I buy only 1 or 2 M42 it would not be to much price wise I suspect...Anyone ever try this?
09-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Super Glue
09-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by agsy Quote
Super Glue
Lmao you never know...
09-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Some other reasons why screw mount lenses tend to be cheaper than K mount - supply, supply, supply. Simply, there were more screw mount camera body makes and for a while there Pentax ruled a corner of the SLR market. By K mount time, Pentax market position wasn't the same... Nikon, Canon, Konica, Minolta had taken over, and soon enough Olympus with the OM. So one reason used K mount glass can be more expensive - there's not enough supply.

Mixing K and screw really is no big deal- like Shashinki says, you just make a decision at the beginning which mount you'll be using and go. In many ways screw mount is easier to use than non A K-mount.