Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens Hoods for Older (M-series) Lenses

Hey all, so I've just made a startling yet obvious discovery - the screw-on hood for my DA40 ltd fits perfectly on my M50/1.7! And now I'd like to get my hands on a second hood so I can use it as a permanent hood for the M50/1.7 (or if there're alternative screw-on hoods which'd be cheaper, that'd work too. But the slightly goofyish look of the DA40's does help to make the camera look overall less intimidating). Sooo, does anyone know where I can buy/order one cheap?

09-10-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't think those 40mm hoods are sold as spare parts, but metal hoods like this one (which are the ones designed for 50mm lenses) can be found quite easily on eBay and other places:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter

If you don't mind non-Pentax hoods, there are a lot of options out there. I buy mine from seller heavystar on eBay. His quality is excellent for round metal screw on hoods and the prices are very fair. I also have a collapsible rubber hood that I use on my M50/1.7.

Steve
09-11-2010, 12:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Use Soldbear's idea of 49 to 28mm step down rings and don't worry about a hood.

Thank you
Russell

09-11-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I try to find original Pentax hoods for all my lenses. Yes, they will cost more but I'm something of a collector so I want original parts. In any case I got most of my hoods, both K and M series, off EBAY. You have to watch as they don't come up often and you will pay a premium for them. My other source is to check KEH Camera

Pentax Manual Focus Lens Shades and Hoods - KEH.com

They always have a few in stock and you may find what you need here.

Tom G
09-11-2010, 06:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't cheap out on hoods. Yes, you can get a petal hood for $1.50 shipped. And yes it will screw nicely onto your lens. But you know what it won't have? Threads to put your cap back on. That's pretty useless in my opinion.