Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know what that white thing is the man is holding but it demonstrates the (only as far as I'm concerned) one issue with the FA77. The nice solid purple line around the object. If I had to guess, I would say this was a nearly wide open shot. Can even see some around the mans scalp against the grassy background. I still love my FA77 however..

Pentax FA77mm Ltd - a set on Flickr

09-13-2010, 07:30 PM   #32
Inactive Account

People who say that the FA77 isn't magical make me laugh.

That's right, I said it.

c[_]
09-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote

That's right, I said it.

c[_]
the FA77 is not magical !

I'm just making you laugh !
09-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #34
Inactive Account

There are many great portrait lenses in the photography marketplace ,but few of them is just like an artwork,fortunately,the FA77 is one of those which have a perfect combination of fine compacted workmanship and decent IQ

09-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote

That's right, I said it.
You're very welcome to have your laugh on my account as well.
09-14-2010, 03:36 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For portrait use the Super Takumars are excellent value at €200 to €300, the caveat here is that they are best used with a focusing screen from someone like Katzeye and one of the bigger bodies, i.e. K10D, K20D and K-7 because of the larger viewfinder. Optically they can deliver marvellous images with lovely bokeh and great contrast and colours. Stopped down and they sharpen up nicely.
The FA77 LTD @ €800 or so new is a different class of lens altogether. Half the size of a comparable 85mm Super Takumar, it is small, light, has auto focus and can deliver exceptional images. The 77 does have a higher peak ability if you're a pixel peeper but its main advantage is the punchier nature of the images it returns.
So to the OP, if you have the money go straight to the 77 if not find a nice Super Takumar and join the Takumar cult You will not be disappointed either way.
09-14-2010, 04:28 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
What happens is all 85mm m42 lenses are sought after by the Canon crowd, Pentax Crowd, the 4/3 crowd etc. Even the Auto Tak 85/1.8 prices are currently high.
damn Canon crowd. aren't they happy with their MF lenses?
09-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
For portrait use the Super Takumars are excellent value at 200 to 300, the caveat here is that they are best used with a focusing screen from someone like Katzeye and one of the bigger bodies, i.e. K10D, K20D and K-7 because of the larger viewfinder. Optically they can deliver marvellous images with lovely bokeh and great contrast and colours. Stopped down and they sharpen up nicely.
The FA77 LTD @ 800 or so new is a different class of lens altogether. Half the size of a comparable 85mm Super Takumar, it is small, light, has auto focus and can deliver exceptional images. The 77 does have a higher peak ability if you're a pixel peeper but its main advantage is the punchier nature of the images it returns.
So to the OP, if you have the money go straight to the 77 if not find a nice Super Takumar and join the Takumar cult You will not be disappointed either way.
I think this is a good summary, or at least it is the conclusion I finally came to. Thank you all for your contributions.

09-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
For portrait use the Super Takumars are excellent value at 200 to 300, the caveat here is that they are best used with a focusing screen from someone like Katzeye and one of the bigger bodies, i.e. K10D, K20D and K-7 because of the larger viewfinder. Optically they can deliver marvellous images with lovely bokeh and great contrast and colours. Stopped down and they sharpen up nicely.
The FA77 LTD @ 800 or so new is a different class of lens altogether. Half the size of a comparable 85mm Super Takumar, it is small, light, has auto focus and can deliver exceptional images. The 77 does have a higher peak ability if you're a pixel peeper but its main advantage is the punchier nature of the images it returns.
QuoteOriginally posted by alvarossorio Quote
I think this is a good summary, or at least it is the conclusion I finally came to. Thank you all for your contributions.
I would agree also with this. If you are big into portraits and have the money to spend then why not. For me, portraits are something I am starting tl play with, but not overly so. I bought the Samyang (AKA vivitar) 85mmF1.4 and while it may not be the 77 ltd, it suites my needs for the moment.