Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To Trade or Not to Trade? M50/1.7 Vs FA50/1.7

So I found a FA50/1.7 used at a local store and, looking at the reviews of it, pounced. This store allows me to trade in other gear, the value of which would be deducted from the sale price...Should I trade in my M50/1.7? The price for the FA50 is $120, and my M50 is quite good condition, works fine and smoothly, visible dust specks inside the glass but with no impact on images. While I really do like the prospect of having an AF fast fifty, ever since I got my M50 it hasn't left the camera, except to make room for my DFA100 for the occasional macro work, but otherwise, it's monopolized my k-x - it's simply tons of fun and it's the difference between me sitting around going "cool" when I see a potential image, and running to get my camera.

It's probably the combination of everything - manual focussing + metering, and though I could technically do the latter with the FA, it'd feel a bit goofy to do so when there's an "A" setting right there, that makes the M so fun. So...do you guys think I should trade it in for a discount? Not quite sure how much they'd take off.

09-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
So I found a FA50/1.7 used at a local store and, looking at the reviews of it, pounced. This store allows me to trade in other gear, the value of which would be deducted from the sale price...Should I trade in my M50/1.7? The price for the FA50 is $120, and my M50 is quite good condition, works fine and smoothly, visible dust specks inside the glass but with no impact on images. While I really do like the prospect of having an AF fast fifty, ever since I got my M50 it hasn't left the camera, except to make room for my DFA100 for the occasional macro work, but otherwise, it's monopolized my k-x - it's simply tons of fun and it's the difference between me sitting around going "cool" when I see a potential image, and running to get my camera.

It's probably the combination of everything - manual focussing + metering, and though I could technically do the latter with the FA, it'd feel a bit goofy to do so when there's an "A" setting right there, that makes the M so fun. So...do you guys think I should trade it in for a discount? Not quite sure how much they'd take off.
If you enjoy using the M50/1.7, then I would say just keep it for now. You got a great price on the FA50/1.7. Not sure how much they'd knock off for the trade-in (M50/1.7), but I suspect it's less than you could sell it for down the road if you decide you don't need both.
09-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Find out... I'd be surprised if they would give you more than 30 dollars... you could likely sell the lens yourself for closer to 50 if you are patient... and if you like the lens, just keep it. There is something fun about the all metal manual focus lenses.

Arguably there would be little to no difference in the rendering, so if you are a minimalist, I suppose it would be worth selling. I like to collect things, so I would keep it. It would also be fun to slap onto an old film body.
09-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The FA 50mm is one of Pentax's best 50mm's. I'd take it, but also keep the M lens, just because I think it's worth more to you than $30, or even $50.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

personally, I would buy it and keep the M1.7. the fact that you have control of metering and auto-focus at such a low price, is clearly a no-brainer. at your local craigslist, that would had been gone within minutes.
09-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I say keep it and get the A50/1.7 too!
09-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #7

You will not use the M if you buy the FA. Trade it or sell, but there is no point in keeping it.

09-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finger Quote
You will not use the M if you buy the FA. Trade it or sell, but there is no point in keeping it.
Maybe, maybe not. The OP did state that he really enjoyed using manual focus with the M50/1.7.

Having owned both the M and FA 50/1.7, the M is far superior to the FA in terms of manual focus feel.
09-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
Inactive Account

If you got an FA50 anything for $120 these days you got one hell of a bargain. Keep your M 50, you aren't likely to get much for it in trade, regardless of condition (they have to resell it). If nothing else, you can buy a reversing ring and turn it into a macro type lens.

09-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm, I think I'll end up keeping it after all, thanks! If not for any of the above reasons (and it IS so fun to use), I could use it now and then as my reason why pentax is awesome for having a $30 lens that rivals my friend's nikon lenses (nevermind that by the end of this I'll have a dozen $30 lenses, if I don't keep it under controk ).

That said, time to look for a cheapish wide angle prime...
05-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

FA price is awesome, I don't think you will get cheaper than that.
05-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

For that price I'd get the FA50 no matter what, you can then decided which one do you prefer. M or FA. Optically it's the same guts, but the focusing and the outer shell are different.
If you prefer MF, then M is a keeper for sure. But convenience of AF, AE and other EXIF data is very useful IMO. If you won't like the FA you can sell it at close to $200 IMO and if you'll like it you can still sell the M50 for over $50 so whichever way you won't be loosing on this deal....
05-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

This post was from almost 8 months ago