Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2007, 09:24 PM   #16
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
reserve finally met... $4500 presently w/17 hrs. to go...

09-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #17
Site Supporter

EekBay.. Freakbay.. whatever you will, but it is becoming more and more a rip off for some sellers. Trouble is there are those out there who get carried away and are willing to pay outlandish sums, maybe just for the thrill of winning.
Postage is being manipulated as you say. Saw a hatpin 4" long (my daughter collects) postage : $80
I have just about given up on Ebay for lens etc.
09-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
EekBay.. Freakbay.. whatever you will, but it is becoming more and more a rip off for some sellers. Trouble is there are those out there who get carried away and are willing to pay outlandish sums, maybe just for the thrill of winning.
Postage is being manipulated as you say. Saw a hatpin 4" long (my daughter collects) postage : $80
I have just about given up on Ebay for lens etc.
I'm getting to that point too to be honest. You cannot win an auction for Pentax gear for a reasonable price anymore. The lack of new lenses and high sales of the K10D have created one heck of a market for certain lenses. Long glass going especially high...
09-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #19
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulAndAPentax Quote
I'll just watch it go over $5K later next week....
Good call! $5,100 winning bid.

09-09-2007, 10:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulAndAPentax Quote
I'm getting to that point too to be honest. You cannot win an auction for Pentax gear for a reasonable price anymore. The lack of new lenses and high sales of the K10D have created one heck of a market for certain lenses. Long glass going especially high...
I'm no longer sure what 'reasonable' is. We all understand that there
are not a lot of long high quality glass lenses around. If we are to assume
that those offered for sale are legit, and not stolen and not broken etc. they ought to be worth something in the range of what they sold for new particuarly if they the are autofocus. Most of the long glass I"ve seen on ebay including what I bought some time ago is not autofocus.

It seems to me that the firm prices on good used glass is evidence of a solid market and that is probably a good thing.

If and when the new long glass shows up it will need buyers for it to be successful and they won't be many if classic glass is 'just as good' and selling to pennies on the dollar.

Most of us sort of like Pentax because they have been semi-diligent in maintaining backwards compatibility in their lens family, but the cost of that from their standpoint is that the new products have to compete with the old.

How do you sell a new lens that likely isn't much different of better than
an old one and get a whopping premium for it. How much extra will you pay to get say a DA 50mm Macro over say a F 50 mm Macro???, and if like I do-- you own a Pentax-F 50 mm Macro in good condition, why in this lifetime would I buy a DA 50mm Macro???? NEver mind that the F model hasn't been made for 17 years.

to be successful you either need a strong market or planned or actual obsolence. I see Pentax as having a couple of choices if they want to maximize sales----either the market has to be strong enough to keep the used merchandise out of the way, or they have to self destruct the used merchandise so they can sell the new.

If the old glass continues to bring strong prices the marketers will put a lot less pressure on Pentax to kill the old glass. At this point it would be extremely easy for them to do....--- Indeed as soon as they percolate
the SDM throughout their lens line they only need to drop the screw focusing drive motor from the new bodies the bring out and everyone with an FA or F lens suddenly has a lot less value making the new lenses easier to sell.

they largely poisoned the value of the SMC and M series lenses with the crippled K2 mount, and they can and will do it to us again if the 'overhang'
of used lenses is too large. There is no need to break lenses that you can't buy anyway.

We have already seen how evil the planned obsolence can be in what happened to us with the TTL flash units.....
09-10-2007, 07:13 AM   #21
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I couldn't agree with you more, Roy.
It gets even worse when those of us north of the border purchase something in the US of A. And to rub salt in the wound there are those who won't even ship to Canada - for whatever unknown reason.

Wish I had the money for a lense like that.
wow, up from 4500 yesterday and sold for 5100... no way..

CS, it's a PITA shipping to canada(altho i do). it's 2 trips to the PO and filling out the custom ticket(there's2 and i always use the wrong one). plus what it costs. i've had items that ship to the US for $8 but to canada it's $23. like i sais it's just a PITA to do. i think that's why people choose not to.

roy