Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lens for my wife

My wife likes what she calls the "3D" effect which I have found means great DOF for most of her pictures. She uses a film body some or a K100D but she does not know how to set aperture or shutter speed and so needs an "A" lens or it's equivalent. She does like focusing in on close objects but "Macro" is not needed. She does Not like a Zoom lens. So I am thinking a 35mm or 28mm with a focusing range from say .3 to 3 or 4 meters before infinity will make her quite happy. I already own several, 5 or 6, AF zooms which she can use if she wants that long range. The biggest problem is Budget! To keep her happy I have to do this for no mare than around $50.00. So don't suggest some 300 or 400 dollar lens because that she won't let me spend. She would rather I spent that on my replacement 400mm. Yeah I am trying to find a different 400mm due to problems adapting my current one to the Pentax digital bodies. Thank You!

09-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I think one of the easiest ways to get into the 3D effects(low cost) is through normal lenses ie. 50 - 58mm variance.

I'd recommend the SMC Takumar 55/1.8 or some of the sharper HELIOS lenses. But all of these will require adapters and an understanding of manual controls in order to use them.

There are of course much better lenses, but... since your on a budget, these are the ones that pop into my mind.

On the wide end of things, the only lens I can think of that might work is the infamous Vivitar 28mm CF lens. It's a little pricier than you've mentioned, but it is close focusing and has the gift of 3D.

I have one laying around here that has a minor flaw on it, PM me if you're interested.
09-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
does she enjoy cooking and cleaning?

oh, wait....you weren't looking to trade your wife for a lens. nevermind.

LOL
09-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have her try a medium zoom at 50mm for a day. If that works for her pick up an SMC-A 50/2.0 for about $25. Then get 'er a lens reversal ring -- those ought'a keep 'er entertained for a week or so.

H2

09-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the humor guys. She does hate zooms and so far I haven't seen any 50mm lenses focus ring to know if they hit 3,4,5 meter before infinity or higher. If someone could Tell me about the SMC-A 50 mm f2 focus ring that could really help.
09-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
Thanks for the humor guys. She does hate zooms and so far I haven't seen any 50mm lenses focus ring to know if they hit 3,4,5 meter before infinity or higher. If someone could Tell me about the SMC-A 50 mm f2 focus ring that could really help.
TBH. I don't think I have any primes that will reach infinity at 20 feet or less.
09-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Should this be moved as a discussion thread instead, or do you want to keep it here? Seems like it could go both ways, but it seems more like a discussion to me

Edit: this is no longer a questions tongue

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Hrm, it's hard to get nice 'A' lens and 50 dollars to meet, generally seems.

I think for the '3D' effect I think you're referring to, (kind of like old '3D prints made as with separate layers) stopping down an old Sigma from the mid-late 80's might do the trick. I think for just *that* the effect can be most pronounced with a sharpish 50mm stopped down, (because of the actual focal length, not FOV: I assume she's using a digital? If not, you're golden, get a 50) usually with a pretty vivid film, but one can probably bring the same out with settings and post processing.

Sigma made some little zooms which might do the trick, though, (I know she doesn't like zooms, but they're *little,* at least. I think the one I'm thinking of is a 28-50, there may have been a 28-70: I think they'll be the only kinds with the A setting. They're really very little, considering they aren't abominably-slow, particularly by kit lens standards. (Maybe something like a 2.8-4? 3.5-4.5? They're a little funny-looking, teeny push-pull zooms with kind of a narrow 'waist' when extended, and I think it was when Sigma was using that sort of slanty-trapezoid knurling pattern on the focus-zoom ring, maybe just the rectangles. ) If I'm recalling correctly (Someone I knew a long time ago had one and it seemed to give nice chromes,) it may be a bit flare-prone, but gives the requisite 'edges' effect when the light's right for that.

An A28/2.8 might satisfy, though, if it has to be a prime. I think the focal length tends to 'flatten' things a bit, but it otherwise has the right characteristics.

If she *is* using film, by the way, you could do worse than the old Canon 'New FD' 50 1.8 for the effect I think she's going for. You could probably Ebay one, camera and all, on your budget. Cheap and common as you please, and with chromes in bright light, you'd seem to get a lot of that effect, (Whether you want it or not., it so happens. But our photofinishing customers tended to like it. I considered it garish, between the films trying to outdo each other for 'vivid color' and modern lens coatings, but people liked it. Me, I was mostly trying to avoid it. )

(And, Adam may be right about the discussion thread. )

09-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

When I think of a 3-D type of an affect that some photos give I always feel it has a lot less to do with the lens and a lot more to do with lighting and/or even creative use of post processing.

for a great example of what I mean, check this out: Chase Jarvis Photo Post Production Technique | Chase Jarvis Blog

If you look at the original photo...overall it's pretty flat initially. But give that photo to someone who really knows photoshop, and they'll make it into a remarkably dramatic "3-D" photos. Granted, that guy only uses top of the line equipment for the most part, but I think similar results can be had with a much cheaper lens setup.

All that being said....if you want a Pentax-A 50mm f/2 lens I'll happily send it along to you for the $25 price someone had mentioned earlier. I've certainly got enough of them!
09-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My husband had to go into the hosppital. He'll be back in a few days, probably
09-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure I speak for all here in expressing our concern and support for a quick recovery.

Regards, H2
09-14-2010, 06:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Is that Sigma Mini-wide 28mm still available in the Marketplace? Might work for your needs.

What is she using now btw? And what's the issue with a using a zoom lens?
09-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I'm sure I speak for all here in expressing our concern and support for a quick recovery.

Regards, H2
Well said.
09-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
He's Baacckkkk

Well I wouldn't call it a quick recovery. I just returned home and I now have a number of office appointments and outpatient therapies.
Back to the subject of the thread. Still looking to buy a 28 or 35 that close focuses but is not too expensive. I tried to buy one off eBay but it has never shown up so that is another issue to pursue with PayPal and eBay. So if any on has a lens that is an "A" series or has the "A" on the aperture. doesn't have to be fast so an f2.8, f3.5 is fine. Also I do not need an autofocus for her nor do I Have to have a Pentax brand. Any brand will do but I do need the auto aperture.
09-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
Well I wouldn't call it a quick recovery. I just returned home and I now have a number of office appointments and outpatient therapies.
Back to the subject of the thread. Still looking to buy a 28 or 35 that close focuses but is not too expensive. I tried to buy one off eBay but it has never shown up so that is another issue to pursue with PayPal and eBay. So if any on has a lens that is an "A" series or has the "A" on the aperture. doesn't have to be fast so an f2.8, f3.5 is fine. Also I do not need an autofocus for her nor do I Have to have a Pentax brand. Any brand will do but I do need the auto aperture.
I haven't heard much of anything from group members about the whole idea of an "A" lens that is somewhat close focus plus goes to infinity by 15 feet although there are plenty of examples in the database. I hope, oh so hope that I have located such a lens but I am waiting for the owner on here to get back to me so I can send him his payment by PayPal. I also won an auction on Ebay for a 20 mm but it is for my use since it is an all manual lens, no "A" position on the aperture ring. It is one of those Vivitar 20 mm f3.8 lenses made by Cosina that people seem to like on the forum. Plus I have seen the results and can only say that I hope my version will be as good. Thanks to all who have commented and hopefully I will be able to ask this be closed in the next 10 days.