Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 03:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sigma announcements on the 20th

Dear all,

This isn't going to be the most dramatic of news as I am sure we all expect Sigma to make lens announcements at Photokina, but Sigma UK told me in an email that new lenses are to be announced on the 20th.

I had sent them an email asking them whether or not the Sigma 180mm had indeed been discontinued, whether it would be reintroduced with improvements and whether the 150mm will ever be made available in Pentax mount. I had said that I was interested in buying a long macro lens.

They replied saying that whilst they do not know what is to be announced on the 20th there might be something of interest to me.

So ultimately the only thing they actually said was that there will be announcements on the 20th but I thought I might as well pass this information on. Such as it is

09-13-2010, 04:44 AM   #2

I sure do hope it won't be an announcement of discontinuing of all K mount lenses like the one from Cosina.
09-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by olenl Quote
I sure do hope it won't be an announcement of discontinuing of all K mount lenses like the one from Cosina.
I think there is little fear of that!

Sigma's line up is relatively complete so I would.think any lens announcements would be updates or existing lenses but who knows.
09-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It isn't all that important to me but I have to wonder. The last time I looked at Tamorn's site for instance, it didn't appear that their newer lenses were offered in Pentax K mount (of any sort) except existing lenses that are being continued. Third party manufacturers seem to be dropping Pentax like a hot rock. I wonder if there is something going on with the K mount licensing?

09-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope it is exciting news. I really love Sigma.
09-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenMerola Quote
I hope it is exciting news. I really love Sigma.
I do too. I have the 10-20 and the 17-70 as well as the 70-200 2.8 and I just acquired a 24mm 2.8 AF (old but looks like it was used very little).
09-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It isn't all that important to me but I have to wonder. The last time I looked at Tamorn's site for instance, it didn't appear that their newer lenses were offered in Pentax K mount (of any sort) except existing lenses that are being continued. Third party manufacturers seem to be dropping Pentax like a hot rock. I wonder if there is something going on with the K mount licensing?

Yes, i had the same thought. Tamron licenses their K mount lenses, perhaps Hoya upped the ante to get a license for new lenses. Sigma, on the other hand, has back engineered their lenses for the K mount, therefore pays no license fees. It doesn't make sense that Tamron would drop pentax when Pentax has a recent camera body, the Kx, in the top 10 sales in Japan. Hopefully, this is just a bargaining ploy with Hoya to drop their license fees.