Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Forum Member

Location: Bergkamen in the nearest of Dortmund eastside of the Ruhr Area
Photos: Gallery
How to really identify a early Super Takumar 1.4/50 8 Element

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,

according to the info about the 8 element 1,4/50mm here at the lens review thread i bought such a lens, here is the auction i won:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150484443150&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT.

Now i found an ebay offer with different info about how to identify a 8 element early version. Here is the link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130431303010&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

i asked the seller why he is thinking, his lens is a 8 element version and gave him in addition the link to our forum with the review. He told me in his answer the description in our lens review is wrong !!!???

Can someone tell me who is right? Is there a more detailed source?

Thanks for any help.

M;chele

Last edited by Michele; 09-15-2010 at 12:48 PM.
09-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were a betting man, and I am, I would say the lens database is correct. For the simple reason, they have Nothing to gain by displaying false information. There is nothing for sale there. I do have to say that for such a rare bird, the prices people say they paid, seem ridiculously low.

09-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That photo is one of my 8-element Takumars, so I'd say that's proof enough! It's probable the seller that's wrong. Probably trying to sell the lens as an 8-element and hoping for the ignorance of others.

There's a seller on ebay right now trying to market his 8-blade 50mm as 'rare', even though that accounts for all the SMC's! http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-SMC-Takumar-1-1-4-50mm-8-diaphram-Lens-w-Pentax-/15...item2309e9cb84

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hello,
thanks for your answers!
So i can assume i caught such a rare Bird? I did it right?

Bw

M;chele

09-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michele Quote
Hello,
thanks for your answers!
So i can assume i caught such a rare Bird? I did it right?

Bw

M;chele
If the pic in the ebay link you posted is the one you won, it is the 8-element version. Be sure the serial # matches when you get it.
09-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks a Lot. The SN matches!!

Bw

M;chele
09-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I just had a look at my 50 mm 1.4 Takumar... And it's the early version. Sweet! I would explain quite a few things...

09-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an early 8-element Super Tak 50/1.4 as well.

Each of the four I've handled over the years have had S.N.'s in the 13Xxxxx range but I don't know for sure that's unique. For instance, mine's a 135xxxx and the one in the DB is a 137xxxx.

All of the other attributes listed in the PF Review were present as well.

Mine has never yellowed and I don't know if that's related to S.N. either.

H2
09-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the easiest ways to tell are the weight and the protrucing rear element as noted in the review database.

You have got a great lens, enjoy
09-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I have an early 8-element Super Tak 50/1.4 as well.

Each of the four I've handled over the years have had S.N.'s in the 13Xxxxx range but I don't know for sure that's unique. For instance, mine's a 135xxxx and the one in the DB is a 137xxxx.

All of the other attributes listed in the PF Review were present as well.

Mine has never yellowed and I don't know if that's related to S.N. either.

H2
I have a fairly extensive Serial # Data base for these lenses and there is a zone of overlap in the serial numbers in a certain area and in that area of overlap, it can only confirm the lens as a potential 1st version. The 8-element is a non-yellowing lens due to the lack of Thorium.
09-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
. . .overlap in the serial numbers . . . The 8-element is a non-yellowing lens due to the lack of Thorium.
Thanks, Blue. I seem to recall you, or someone, had noted that a while back but I couldn't find it with a casual search.

Is there a pointer to your SN DB? And do you have similar data on the 35mm's?

H2
09-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Thanks, Blue. I seem to recall you, or someone, had noted that a while back but I couldn't find it with a casual search.

Is there a pointer to your SN DB? And do you have similar data on the 35mm's?

H2
I had attached a zip file but have added to it since then. It is far from perfect but has serial numbers and models in an Excel spread sheet. I have a page on lenses, bodies, M37 etc. I created it by merging Nigel Uttings old M-Forty-Two data with data I have been collecting over the years. It has ~ 5000 lens entries in it. About 4000 of the are from Nigels old data base and about 1000 were added by me and there were some over laps. PM me and email address and I will send you the Excel file. Keep in mind this is an ongoing project and hope to get it to a stopping point.

The old thread is here regarding the M-Forty-Two site. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/93421-anyone-remember-where-pentax-lens-database-2.html

Edit: There are S #s from all the 35mm lenses and virtually all the taks.
09-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Are they definitely non-yellowing? Because several of the reviews here mention de-yellowing theirs.

I had no idea this lens even existed a few days ago. neat! Now I have one on the way from eBay. Fingers crossed!
09-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #14

i have 2 8 element versions. Look for different IR mark placement. You can also find out by serial code.

And lastly, yellowing is easily reversed with a UV light.
09-17-2010, 08:13 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I had attached a zip file but have added to it since then. It is far from perfect but has serial numbers and models in an Excel spread sheet. I have a page on lenses, bodies, M37 etc. I created it by merging Nigel Uttings old M-Forty-Two data with data I have been collecting over the years. It has ~ 5000 lens entries in it. About 4000 of the are from Nigels old data base and about 1000 were added by me and there were some over laps. PM me and email address and I will send you the Excel file. Keep in mind this is an ongoing project and hope to get it to a stopping point.

The old thread is here regarding the M-Forty-Two site. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/93421-anyone-remember-where-pentax-lens-database-2.html

Edit: There are S #s from all the 35mm lenses and virtually all the taks.
I bought a 50 1.4 from an auction site that isn't evilBay. It should be here tomorrow. The serial is a 154XXXX, I'll let you know if it's an 8 element. Fingers crossed.