Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Judging by the photo, it looks to be in immaculate condition. You got a great deal. They can go from 300-400 for one in that condition. Great job, Swift.

Irishwhite, the Bokina looks great on my red K-x.
Yes, the lens is in fantastic condition. There are some scratches on the front rim, I assume from the metal cap? There are a few scratches on the DoF scale and there is a small dent on the side of the 1:1 converter. Other than that it is immaculate.

09-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
wow Swift. you got yourself a heck of a deal there. I had been on a look-out for awhile for one more copy in genuine K-mount for that price. honestly I could had snatched it from you for $250 easily if only I had known all about it. but I guess luck wasn't on my side and fate doesn't want me to have one more for the K-mount, yet. been extremely busy with work and it has diverted me away from the computer and eBay for about a month now. guess I have to enjoy my copy's full capability on a different camera mount instead, like the m4/3s and EVIL APS-C. although I use it on my Pentax camera from time to time with the use of an adapter.

first of all, I hate you for snagging the lens. this just tells how much I love the lens and how impressed I am with it.

second, it is one heck of a lens. magnificent if I should say it and worth every penny.
Haha, sorry Actually, after I bought it I was worried that I paid way to much for it cause it was on ebay with that BIN price for around 18 hrs. I thought maybe the only way a lens like this stays that long is if it is too expensive.
Oh and it is a genuine K-mount.
09-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Haha, sorry Actually, after I bought it I was worried that I paid way to much for it cause it was on ebay with that BIN price for around 18 hrs. I thought maybe the only way a lens like this stays that long is if it is too expensive.
Oh and it is a genuine K-mount.
yeah it's funny it went unnoticed for that long, especially with all the sharks lurking around here. 12 hours would had been enough time for someone to snag it.
09-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Wow, we must have been perusing eBay for this lens about the same time. I snagged one, too, at about the same price at auction. It looks and feels like it has never been used and it is a beautiful thing. I've been using it for about a week now, and for the first time ever, I think I am in love with an inanimate object.

Regarding Irishwhite's comment: it wouldn't look nearly as good on my fugly red k-x

It looks darn good on my fugly red K-x.

09-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I wasn't trying to say the title was lame, just that it's a common one!
09-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #21

beautiful bokeh in that photo - congrats on your purchase
09-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
beautiful bokeh in that photo - congrats on your purchase
Thanks.
09-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's another shot from the Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5
I think this better shows what this lens is capable of.

K10D, VS1 90/2.5 Wide Open

09-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

That is indeed very nice!!!
09-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
That is indeed very nice!!!
Thanks Joep.
09-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

To Colton and Cynthia,

if either both of you ever wanna or need to sell your individual copies, just let me know. I'll be on standby til I find one copy for the exclusive K-mount. thanks.
09-16-2010, 05:02 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Hi Pentaxor,

I found it by setting up an advanced search with daily notifications via email on eBay for "Vivitar Series 1 90mm". The title did not include Pentax or K mount, so I think it was missed by a lot of Pentax fans, but my search picked it up. It only took a few days for it to show up. I never saw the lens that Swift1 purchased, so who knows how that one was listed.

I see from you signature that you already have one of these beauties. Is it not a K mount?
09-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynthia Quote
Hi Pentaxor,

I found it by setting up an advanced search with daily notifications via email on eBay for "Vivitar Series 1 90mm". The title did not include Pentax or K mount, so I think it was missed by a lot of Pentax fans, but my search picked it up. It only took a few days for it to show up. I never saw the lens that Swift1 purchased, so who knows how that one was listed.

I see from you signature that you already have one of these beauties. Is it not a K mount?
it's not. but it is perfect for the m4/3 and mirrorless APS-C cameras without any problem using a non-optical adapter mount which retains it's aperture speed brightness, DOF and focal length . I can use it for K-mount using a 3rd party optical mount adapter which makes the lens quite longer at 125mm macro/3.5 which could work well for macro use and candid portraiture. also there is a bit of issue when using such optical adapter, it creates some glow/halo and CA in the bokeh highlights (traces of purple/magenta) which can be annoying or extra work during post-processing. the loss in contrast is negligible because it can be restored during post-process. such IQ degradation can be due to the quality of the correctional optics used on the adapter. I would try another experiment that would use better optics and see if it improves or solves the problem.

anyway, here are some samples.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 09-16-2010 at 12:37 PM.
09-17-2010, 05:28 AM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it's not. but it is perfect for the m4/3 and mirrorless APS-C cameras without any problem using a non-optical adapter mount which retains it's aperture speed brightness, DOF and focal length . I can use it for K-mount using a 3rd party optical mount adapter which makes the lens quite longer at 125mm macro/3.5 which could work well for macro use and candid portraiture. also there is a bit of issue when using such optical adapter, it creates some glow/halo and CA in the bokeh highlights (traces of purple/magenta) which can be annoying or extra work during post-processing. the loss in contrast is negligible because it can be restored during post-process. such IQ degradation can be due to the quality of the correctional optics used on the adapter. I would try another experiment that would use better optics and see if it improves or solves the problem.

anyway, here are some samples.

Looks like you do quite well with the set up you have. After I asked you about the mount, I noticed a comment you left in the lens review thread about having the C/FD mount. Good to see you can make it work.

Does the adapter effect the focusing of the lens? Which K-mount camera are you using with it?
09-17-2010, 08:36 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynthia Quote
Looks like you do quite well with the set up you have. After I asked you about the mount, I noticed a comment you left in the lens review thread about having the C/FD mount. Good to see you can make it work.

Does the adapter effect the focusing of the lens? Which K-mount camera are you using with it?

it does work although I still feel quite not completely satisfied with the adapter for the K-mount. it does affect focusing particularly infinity. that's why it requires a correction element which I don't think has been corrected nor treated for controlling CA. the element can be removed which eliminates any IQ degradation and can be used for close-up macro photography but you lose infinity. now I'm looking for an element which somehow corrects this problem, probably an MC (multi-coated) element. I'm using it with the K-7 btw.

although the lens is perfectly fine with the Novoflex glassless adapters for the m4/3 and NX/NEX mount.