Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

GND, Starburst Question?

Since getting the DA 15mm Limited, I have been experimenting with ways to get the most from the unusual starburst effect you get shooting directly into the sun with this amazing lens.
I have a Lee GND on the way (backordered), and I was wondering how this would work on starburst shots? Has anyone tried it?

09-14-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Not sure if you can get a filter direct onto a DA15 ... I heard you need to use some "gutted" filters stacked to fit filters over the front of it ... otherwise I could be wrong.

I think a few members have done this to put a Cokin filter holder over the front of the DA15.
09-14-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the starburst you are looking for is a function of difraction at the sharp corners of the aperture when it is stopped down.

each corner produces a line across the frame, therefore an aperture produces one line per corner.

a ND filter will reduce the lighting overall, so you ned to be careful not to compensate with aperture, keep that stopped down, and compensate the exposure with shutter speed.

there are also cross filters that can produce a pattern similar, but they do it on all bright points
09-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mechan and Lowell. I plan to simply hold the GND flush against the front of the lens.
I always shoot this lens in AV and f-11 or so for scenic shots. Normally when including the sun, I overexpose a full stop or so to get a lot of foreground detail, which softens and widens the starburst, so I was thinking a GND (not an ND) would keep the starburst sharp while exposing for the foreground detail.