Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2010, 01:48 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Soligor T4 to k-mount?

Hello everybody!
Here's my issue:
I have a 70's Soligor 135mm f/2.8 whitch has a T4 mount to M42 adapter ring ..
Anyone knows if there is a T4 to k-mount adapter ring? In the web I haven't found it.. Now I use it with a further adapter ring from M42 to k-mount, but like this I only can use it at 2.8..
Anyone can help me? Thanks!

09-14-2010, 03:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photodiox makes one I believe. You can Google them or look on Amazon. A lot of their adapters are listed on there.
09-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for you answer. I only found a T2 to k-mount adapter by Fotodiox.. but T2 is different from T4 because T2 has a screw mount whereas T4 a bayonet mount.
Elsewhere I read this answer:
"There is no T4 Pentax K mount. The K mount did not exist until 1975-76. The T4 lenses pre-dated the K mount. The TX lenses were introduced starting in 1975 and the series included a K-mount. However, there is no Ka mount as the TX series pre-dated the Ka cameras. A TX mount will fit on a T4 lens, however, you will lose one stop and automatic function, which is why the TX was introduced."
I'll keep looking for it otherwise I'll go for a TX to k-mount adapter; I guess it's hard to find, anyway..
09-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The Tx mount to T4 lens can be problematic - sometimes it works and yes, you lose the widest stop, other times, no luck.

Best bet: T4 screw -> M42/K adapter. Then, your problem is with the stop down - either disable the pin on the T4 adapter, or, if it's a 'CS' type with a push button stop down, a rubber band works well.

09-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

This UK company, SRB Griturn, ship internationally and sell good quality stuff.

T2 Mounts

I've had good service and products from them.
09-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There is no such thing as "T4 to K-mount" adapter.

T4, by design, does not allow full-aperture metering, which is a feature of K-mount.

The later TX is very similar to T4, but with full-aperture metering. This additional feature prevents TX adapter from fitting onto T4 mount. TX to K-mount adapters do exist, but are somewhat rare.

If you find a TX to K-mount adapter, you can use it with T4 lenses but you'll need to do a simple modification on either the T4 mount, or on the adapter. It's been a while so I'll need to dig up my notes. But IIRC, the modification on the adapter involves removing some parts, and is reversible. I'll post back if I can find my notes and photos of the modifications.

T2 mount, on the other hand, is something totally different.

Edited to add:

I found my old post: Modifying TX adapter to work with T4 lenses

Here is another thread on similar subject: What's the value of having a TX mount over M42?

Last edited by SOldBear; 09-14-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Added link to old post
09-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to everybody! Your infos are pretty useful..
So.. I'll try to find a TX to k-mount adapter and modify it as SOldBear explained. Otherwise I'll keep using T4 to M42 + M42 to K bayonet maybe trying to disable the pin in order to keep the stop down, as suggested by Nesster.

09-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

T4 is a PITA. I have just two T4 lenses, a Vivitar-Komine 28/2.8 on a T4-M42, and a Vivitar-Tokina 75-260/4.5-6.2 on a T4-FD. And I just sold the zoom on eBay for US$7.50 -- it gets shipped to Carolina today. Each of those cost me just US$9 so it's no big deal, but since I have no other Viv 28's, I'll probably disable the pin so I can actually use it.

T-mount, T2, TX, T4, Adaptall...as is said in the engineering business, the nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them... But don't get me started on RS and ISO and ASA, hey? Just think about all the memory card 'standards' exist: XD, SD, MemStick, MMC, CF, SM, probably a dozen more. Lo and behold, there also exist UNIVERSAL CARD READERS that can accommodate many standards. Why not a UNIVERSAL LENS ADAPTER? Just dial-in the mount type, insert lens, mount on camera, and GO. Right.
09-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
T4 is a PITA. I have just two T4 lenses, a Vivitar-Komine 28/2.8 on a T4-M42, and a Vivitar-Tokina 75-260/4.5-6.2 on a T4-FD. And I just sold the zoom on eBay for US$7.50 -- it gets shipped to Carolina today. Each of those cost me just US$9 so it's no big deal, but since I have no other Viv 28's, I'll probably disable the pin so I can actually use it.

T-mount, T2, TX, T4, Adaptall...as is said in the engineering business, the nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them... But don't get me started on RS and ISO and ASA, hey? Just think about all the memory card 'standards' exist: XD, SD, MemStick, MMC, CF, SM, probably a dozen more. Lo and behold, there also exist UNIVERSAL CARD READERS that can accommodate many standards. Why not a UNIVERSAL LENS ADAPTER? Just dial-in the mount type, insert lens, mount on camera, and GO. Right.
You forgot Y-S.

YS Interchangeable Adapter Mounts, Y-S lens mount