Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Some test photos with kindergarden 1st day

I have some opportunity with my m42 lens in Pentagon 50mm f/1.8. Most are shot in f/2.8, some in f/1.8 and some in between. Now without the exif, it is difficult to remember. Sharpness seems to be good but it can be better if I manage to focus more accurately. I continue to need +2 in Ev in Av mode. And the preset WB on all flurocent and tungsten don't help me with a yellow cast warm picture and I don't have the skills and software to tune it. All are post processed in Picasa with 'i am feeling lucky' and 'auto color'

Comments & Critique are welcome especially on techniques with WB and focusing in wide aperture to get sharper pictures.

Thanks,
Hin Man

09-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Hin, WB is really easy to change if you are shooting in RAW. I use the software that came with the camera, Pentax Photo Laboratory (PPL). It will allow you to change the WB to all of the individual WB settings the camera has, or you can use a slider to change the WB to exactly what you want. From there you could just save the picture to a JPG file (or TIFF) and then take it into your favorite editing program.

The other option you could try is the custom WB setting in the camera. My experience has been hit and miss with this though. But the PPL program will allow me to fix it if I miss the setting.

Another program that I have used is UFraw to adjust the WB. It works well too.
09-05-2007, 10:14 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Those are great inputs for me

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
Hin, WB is really easy to change if you are shooting in RAW. I use the software that came with the camera, Pentax Photo Laboratory (PPL). It will allow you to change the WB to all of the individual WB settings the camera has, or you can use a slider to change the WB to exactly what you want. From there you could just save the picture to a JPG file (or TIFF) and then take it into your favorite editing program.

The other option you could try is the custom WB setting in the camera. My experience has been hit and miss with this though. But the PPL program will allow me to fix it if I miss the setting.

Another program that I have used is UFraw to adjust the WB. It works well too.
Fritz, those are the best inputs for my WB problems. Thank you so much for all the options and pointers.

Hin
09-06-2007, 02:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The bargain basement solution to improving the focus situation is to get a Chinese split prism focus screen for about $30.

The bargain basement solution for WB is to use a white coffee filter held over the lens and do a manual WB with it.

What I have done is use a step-up ring and a clear lens guard filter (don't use a UV filter) to sandwich a circle of white coffee filter. Makes it very handy to hold over the end of the lens and the clear filter helps keep it from getting poked out of place. Just throw it in your bag, it doesn't matter at all if the filter gets scratched.

At least try the adjustment with holding a single thickness of coffee filter over the lens. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how well it works.

09-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you Mike

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The bargain basement solution to improving the focus situation is to get a Chinese split prism focus screen for about $30.

The bargain basement solution for WB is to use a white coffee filter held over the lens and do a manual WB with it.

What I have done is use a step-up ring and a clear lens guard filter (don't use a UV filter) to sandwich a circle of white coffee filter. Makes it very handy to hold over the end of the lens and the clear filter helps keep it from getting poked out of place. Just throw it in your bag, it doesn't matter at all if the filter gets scratched.

At least try the adjustment with holding a single thickness of coffee filter over the lens. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how well it works.
Much thanks for the great tips on both WB and focusing with split screen. Your tips along with those from Fritz should really help me battle the WB weirdness in k100d. It is embarrassing to see the nice photos with cast of yellow and orange. I remember seeing the review, probably from imaging-resources, quickly points out the indoor WB problems in k100d.

About the focusing screen, do you have a vendor and a direct link that you recommend?

Thanks again,
Hin
09-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I don't shoot RAW all the time because I don't like to PP every photo I take. But when I am in a weird situation (like last week inside my son's school...much like your photos) I shot RAW because I didn't want to spend all my time trying to deal with the weird lighting and white balance.

So basically I am lazy so I don't shoot RAW except when I am feeling lazy so I do

P.S. I LOVE the vignetting in this photo even though some consider it a "flaw" of the kit lens
09-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote

About the focusing screen, do you have a vendor and a direct link that you recommend?
I got mine from this guy, as did our fellow Pentax Forums friend, Finn.
09-06-2007, 03:28 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you Mike, I love your reply

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I got mine from this guy, as did our fellow Pentax Forums friend, Finn.
It is likely that I order one soon. Thanks again!

Hin

09-09-2007, 04:54 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
blog post on m42 adapter

I have placed a blog post on m42 adapters with links that I have gathered on m42 adapters

Pentax M42 adapters - Hin's Tech Corner

Big thanks to FotoPete for letting me use his m42 adapter pictures in the blog post. I will update and refine the information as I learn more in the process. Thank you everyone for your valuable inputs.

Hin
12-21-2007, 11:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Hmmmm ... interesting indeed ... I have been thinking about one of these recently ... just need to figure out where I was going to get one .... good thing I searched ... looks like I'll get the Bowers one from B&H.

And then go hunting for some M42 lenses.
12-22-2007, 02:52 AM   #26
Inactive Account

I bought my M42 adapter (genuine Pentax) from KEH. I got my SMC Takumar 50/1.4, 105/2.8 and 85/1.8 lenses from them, as well. They ship promptly, are reasonably priced, and accurately describe the condition of the product. They'll be hearing from me again soon, I'm sure.

Some say the Pentax adapter can be removed without a tool. I haven't found that to be the case with my adapter on my K10D. I use the tip of a plastic bodied, retractable pen or some other non-marring tool to turn the adapter.

Here's a shot from the 105mm. Reid Hillview Airport, San Jose, California:

Daryl
12-22-2007, 03:49 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I use my *ist DS with a Pentax M42 adapter exclusively with my SMC Takumars. I don't use other lenses, as nothing comes close to the smooth, solid feel of an old screwmount Takumar, excepting maybe Leitz lenses. The main reason I've always preferred Pentax is the unmatched operational quality of their older lenses. The main reason I use a Pentax DSLR is the same.
12-22-2007, 05:41 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dndavis Quote

Here's a shot from the 105mm.
I'm fond of my lenses, but the Takumar 105/2.8 is one I genuinely love.
12-22-2007, 02:15 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I think the problem I face is finding an Taks here in Australia ... i guess I'd have to hunt overseas for them ... I'd really like to try some out first prior to purchase though ... I guess I shouldn't rush these things though.

And also get the hang of manual focussing as well as stop-down metering
12-22-2007, 02:26 PM   #30
Veteran Member

OK ... just to add ... I had a look at KEH ... and holy cow ... they have a decent range of Takumars in stock ... and quite a few of them in decent condition as well.

Now to figure out what ones are the better ones of the lot listed.