Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 1.4 tc. stripped Screws

I am not to sure if it is my fault, or sigma not building to standards. I think it is my fault though.
My Sigma 1.4 tc which i use daily stripped the threads on the bolt that holds one side togeather.
I never gave it much thought. I use it on a fairly heavy lens and rarely let it hang from my neck. But on occasion I will let it drop if I am doing something that takes two hands.
The lens weighs about 6 lbs. So I am very careful now. The conection is fine and the camera connection is fine. But Sigma warrened me against it. They said they would try to increase the bolt size to help with heavy lenses. So I hope when i get it back it is fixed.
Just something to think about if you use heavy lenses. I never really gave it much thought. Until i was without a tc. I am mad at myself for this.

09-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I am not to sure if it is my fault, or sigma not building to standards. I think it is my fault though.
My Sigma 1.4 tc which i use daily stripped the threads on the bolt that holds one side togeather.
I never gave it much thought. I use it on a fairly heavy lens and rarely let it hang from my neck. But on occasion I will let it drop if I am doing something that takes two hands.
The lens weighs about 6 lbs. So I am very careful now. The conection is fine and the camera connection is fine. But Sigma warrened me against it. They said they would try to increase the bolt size to help with heavy lenses. So I hope when i get it back it is fixed.
Just something to think about if you use heavy lenses. I never really gave it much thought. Until i was without a tc. I am mad at myself for this.
Hrm, yeah. A lens that heavy is bound to generate a lot of stresses on the mounts, whatever you do. If you're ever tempted to hang that off the TC or camera, I suggest a different mode of carry and/or something to distribute the weight. (I think they make lens support straps for this purpose: haven't tried them, though, since I don't work with lenses that big.) It seems to be common to hang the camera off the lens in these circumstances, rather than try to hang the lens off the camera.
09-17-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this is why some lenses like the tamron 300F2.8 actually have a strap attachment point on the lens.

it is just too heavy especially for the adaptall 2 mount.

I have not yet had an issue with my sigma TCs and my 70-200F2.8 EX, but it makes me wonder a little about why pentax replaced the lens mount when my K10D shutter failed.