Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yeah, I think I want the quality on this trip. Never took two bodies with me on a vacation. Might be fun.

09-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As has been mentioned, it depends on your photo interest and style. Most of my photos are in Oregon and Washington, and I use 8-16, 24, 50, 90, 70-210 the most.
09-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't burden myself with two similar bodies. This is our dry season for another three weeks. Even if it does rain, it will be light. Take the fisheye for fun, the 16-50mm,& the 55-300mm. Polarizer is good too up high.
Enjoy your visit, the light is just starting to get good again.

M
09-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I wouldn't burden myself with two similar bodies. This is our dry season for another three weeks. Even if it does rain, it will be light. Take the fisheye for fun, the 16-50mm,& the 55-300mm. Polarizer is good too up high.
Enjoy your visit, the light is just starting to get good again.

M
thanks for the tip. I might just leave one body at home at your suggestion. It would lighten the load a bit.

09-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, it started pouring 2 minutes after I posted my brilliant suggestions.
Bring the K20D. And consult the long-term forecast for lens guidance.

M
09-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
Hi Lowell, Do you have the earlier version of the 70-200? I am asking because I have the HSM version which is not compatible with many TCs. If you do have the HSM version please let me know what TC works with this lens. Thank you!
Yes I have the APO 70-200F2.8 EX non DG non macro. By many accounts it is the best and sharpest even wide open
09-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

This is our dry season
As a guy who spent the first 25 years of my life in Western Washington, to this I say...HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE... Totally kidding man...

09-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

i'd take both bodies if I could, 55-300 on one and some wide angle on the other. I live in Portland (50 miles from St. Helens) and live with my 16-45mm attached to my k20d.

Dunno about the more northern cascades but September in Oregon is heaven. Not a ton of rain and mild/warm (for me, probably not for you). Kx would probably be fine if you're smart about it (had a rag with you to wipe off droplets and a jacket you could throw it in if it got really bad).

Some advice, bring a shell cause there will likely be times it rains and then stops and gets warmer again. Its raining in Portland pretty bad today but was in the 80's earlier this week. Seattle is similar just a big colder (its more closely marine moderated).

Whatever you bring I hope you love your time in the PNW. If you're looking for something kinda fun and outdoorsy to do this place in Eatonville, WA is kinda cool its called "NW Trek". Went there with my in-laws who live in the area a few weeks ago and was very cool. Like a zoo that has a giant shared enclosure they do this little tours through. Personally I prefer something thats not as "manufactured" feeling but I had a great time and saw some cool animals plus, you're on vacation, why not sit back a bit =)
09-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...This is our dry season for another three weeks...
QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
As a guy who spent the first 25 years of my life in Western Washington, to this I say...HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE... Totally kidding man...

Did you take a look outside the window before you posted? It is one wet evening tonight!

Steve
09-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Mount Ranier is gorgeous. Unless you are into vulcanology, though, I'd bypass Mt. St. Helens and come to Oregon. Check out the Columbia River Gorge. If you want to drive some serious miles, visit Opal Creek and the Painted Hills in central Oregon. Or head to the coast to Cannon Beach and Oswald West State Park. Then there's....
09-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Did you take a look outside the window before you posted? It is one wet evening tonight!

Steve

This is not a typical Portland summer. Damn, half of my tomatos haven't ripened yet. And if it rains here, it will rain more in Seattle.

That's "tomatoes." I pulled a reverse Dan Quayle.

Last edited by civiletti; 09-15-2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: misspell
09-16-2010, 07:35 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Yes I have the APO 70-200F2.8 EX non DG non macro. By many accounts it is the best and sharpest even wide open
Thank you for the post. Yes, I have read that that is one of the best fast zooms around.
09-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
thanks for the tip. I might just leave one body at home at your suggestion. It would lighten the load a bit.
You don't need to carry it with you everywhere you go. On our last trip, my back-up body spent most of the time in the hotel room. I just did not want to drop a camera, get it wet or stolen and not have a camera for the rest of the trip.
09-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #29

It poured last night. It will probably pour while you're here. I've totally given up on my tomato(e)s. Bring the K20D. Leave the KX at home. Don't forget to visit the library when you're in Seattle (I'd bring the 10-17) -- oodles of really cool photo ops in there.
09-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow. So many places to see , so little time. I would like to see the Columbia River Gorge. Depends on how our Rainier visit goes we might venture further south to see it.
KI think I will bring the two bodies and work out of my backpack in the trunk and carry my Classified 160aw. I have generally carried a Tamrac holster bag with the fisheye stuck in the bottom and the 18-250 or a 17-70 in the upper part attached to the camera. I bought the Classified to hold a little more equipment and so far I really have enjoyed carrying it. I am wanting to try to get some higher quality shots if I can on this trip. Hope the weather cooperates .

thanks for your suggestions