Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lenses for Pacific Northwest Vacation

I will be going on a vacation next week to the Pacific Northwest. We will be spending a few days at Mt Rainier and then probably Mt St Helens then back to Seattle for some sight seeing. As time draws near, I find myself second guessing my lens selection. I would like to keep it at 3 max.
I have:
18-250mm
10-17 fisheye
55-300mm
16-50mm
50-135mm

I know that I absolutely want to take the Fisheye. It always gets some use. I have thought that the 55-300 and the 16-50 should be the other two but then there is that pesky 18-250 that I hardly ever use anymore.
I will also be bringing my Travel Angel Tripod

Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions regarding lens selection??

09-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I live in the PNW and while your mileage may vary I use my telephoto most often, but I haven't been to the mountains much lately though

My first thought was the last 3 on the list, our weather has been pretty good but in case the rain comes you might want those sealed lenses in your bag, or you can replace the 16-50 with the fisheye and then you'll have the wide range covered
09-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Would you take the K20 instead of the KX in anticipation of rainy weather?? I am trying to make everything fit into a Lowepro Classified .
09-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm originally from the PNW and just spent the summer up there. I think you're right on the money. I'd take the 10-17(since you're sure on that one), the 16-50 for weather-sealing and the gorgeous landscapes you'll be visiting, and the 55-300 because it's more versatile for travel than the 50-135. And yes, I'd take the K20 for the weather-sealing...there's a reason I live in Tucson now, and it ain't because I don't like mountains and trees.

09-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not quite the PNW, but I did san Francusco and north along the california coast a few years ago

Took Sigma 10-20, Tamron 28-75F2.8 and Sigma 70-200F2.8 with 2x TC.

Used the 10-20 in SF and in the forest for some neat shots, the 28-75 for general shooting. and the 70-200F2.8 plys TC for wild life.

In your case, the 10-17 and 16-50 are a given.

depending on your wild life choices, take either the 55-300 or the 50-135
09-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It looks like it's going to get a little wet, I'd take the K20d

Have you thought about the K20D with the 16-50 attached and the the Kx with the 55-300 attached?

I feel bad that I keep tossing the fisheye to the side but using two bodies would be fun, going from wide angle to telephoto without switching lenses...plus the Kx and the 55-300 are a rad combo
09-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
Would you take the K20 instead of the KX in anticipation of rainy weather?? I am trying to make everything fit into a Lowepro Classified .
I also live in the Northwest (grew up in Seattle) and would take the K20 in preference to the K-x if the purpose of the visit is simply photography and the intent is to photograph under all conditions, do or die. If the intent is to stay inside if it is raining, then it is a toss-up.

Regarding the lenses...It depends heavily on what kind of shooter you are. I was recently shooting 35mm film at Mount St. Helens and the 28mm did not come off the camera. Ditto for my last visit to Rainier. That being said, I tend to have a wide vision in the mind's eye. I think your good compromise would be:
  • 10-17
  • 16-50
  • 55-300
If weather sealing is a consideration, I would take the K20D and your two DA* for a two lens kit and throw in the fisheye if there is room.

Remember too, to bring your polarizer if you have one. Even on clear days, there can be a persistent bluish haze in the atmosphere. Ansel Adams spent a month up here "back in the day" and left with nothing but closeups of plants and tree trunks. The clouds and haze stymied his best efforts to do landscape work.

BTW...if your itinerary allows, you might want to consider visiting Pt. Townsend and/or Whidbey Island. Both places are very photogenic and not that far from Seattle. The city itself is also has a ton of photo ops, so go crazy! I am looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Steve

09-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the Replies. Looks like my Classified 160 might not be big enough if I take two cameras. I am going to check it out.
We will have my Mother In law with us and she is kind of a slow mover these days. I would like to get some good shots while I am there if possible. Last year we went Whale watching and I rented a 60-250 just for that purpose. After one snap, an "O-Ring" came loose inside and it would not Zoom or focus. You could see it hanging down inside the lens. Ended up taking whale pics with a Sigma 17-70....not too great.
Anyway, I might just try to stretch in another lens and maybe take two bodies. I have been enjoying good IQ lately with my equipment and worry that the 18-250 might be a little set back for my liking.
09-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
BTW...if your itinerary allows, you might want to consider visiting Pt. Townsend and/or Whidbey Island. Both places are very photogenic and not that far from Seattle. The city itself is also has a ton of photo ops, so go crazy! I am looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Thanks for the info. I see Pt. Townsend is close to Marysville. That is where her mother lives. I am going to try to work it in if we can.
09-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Close as the crow flies, but across the Puget Sound...check the WA State Ferry website to find the quickest way across.

In fact, from Marysville, a nice scenic trip would be to drive up to Mt. Vernon, take HWY 536/20 out to Whidbey Island, seeing Deception Pass (really cool) in the process....then down to Coupeville for the ferry across to Port Townsend. Pretty drive and destinations.
09-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

Took Sigma 10-20, Tamron 28-75F2.8 and Sigma 70-200F2.8 with 2x TC.

Hi Lowell, Do you have the earlier version of the 70-200? I am asking because I have the HSM version which is not compatible with many TCs. If you do have the HSM version please let me know what TC works with this lens. Thank you!
09-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
Close as the crow flies, but across the Puget Sound...check the WA State Ferry website to find the quickest way across.

In fact, from Marysville, a nice scenic trip would be to drive up to Mt. Vernon, take HWY 536/20 out to Whidbey Island, seeing Deception Pass (really cool) in the process....then down to Coupeville for the ferry across to Port Townsend. Pretty drive and destinations.

Wow. Thanks for the info. Gonna talk to my wife and see if we can work that in on our last day there. We were wanting to stay close to Marysville that day anyway.

I have spent about an hour arranging and rearranging. I think my kit will be the
10-17
16-50
55-300 and both the KX and K20
Had not considered bringing two bodies before this inquiry.
It all fits in a Kata DR 467i and I will pack my tripod and Classified 160 in my suitcase.....hopefully have room for toothpaste
I had never tried two bodies with the DR 467 but it holds them plus 3 lenses and my back up drive and charger. Along with all my other little items like remote, Cleaning supplies rocket blower and filters.
My 50-135 was a little snug and I thought I might like the extra reach of the 55-300 rather than leaving it at home and bringing the 50-135. Using two bodies will be a first for me since the film days. It should be a great combo though.

thanks for all the input.
09-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I

I know that I absolutely want to take the Fisheye. It always gets some use. I have thought that the 55-300 and the 16-50 should be the other two but then there is that pesky 18-250 that I hardly ever use anymore.
I will also be bringing my Travel Angel Tripod

Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions regarding lens selection??
Those three are what I would suggest as well. Also selling the 18-250 that does not get used much as many people are looking for one.
09-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Those three are what I would suggest as well. Also selling the 18-250 that does not get used much as many people are looking for one.
Believe me, I have thought about it from time to time. Might see what the K5 looks like then maybe unload it and the K20 to help with funds.
Since Getting the Bigma last year, and moving to Louisiana, I have gone nuts over nature photography. I keep the Bigma on the K20 and use the KX as my everyday gig with the 16-50 and 55-300 or 50-135.
Actually the 50-135 could probably go too but I think I might start using it more in the future. It sure produces some nice images. I just overlook it often trying to get more reach....
09-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow. Thanks for the info. Gonna talk to my wife and see if we can work that in on our last day there. We were wanting to stay close to Marysville that day anyway.

I have spent about an hour arranging and rearranging. I think my kit will be the
10-17
16-50
55-300 and both the KX and K20
Had not considered bringing two bodies before this inquiry.
It all fits in a Kata DR 467i and I will pack my tripod and Classified 160 in my suitcase.....hopefully have room for toothpaste
I had never tried two bodies with the DR 467 but it holds them plus 3 lenses and my back up drive and charger. Along with all my other little items like remote, Cleaning supplies rocket blower and filters.
My 50-135 was a little snug and I thought I might like the extra reach of the 55-300 rather than leaving it at home and bringing the 50-135. Using two bodies will be a first for me since the film days. It should be a great combo though.

thanks for all the input.
Either you take those three, or just the 18-250. Taking those three is a higher quality choice, though. I always take a back-up body.