Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Deer Pentax Forumers who hunt,

Ok I have a Deer related question.... I am going to go sit in a tree stand tomorrow morning at 4:30am til first light at 6:15am... but instead of my bow... I will have my camera, the guy beside me will have his bow...

Now my question is...

will the motor in a DA* lens be heard by a deer? I have found online the the ultra-sonic drive of a canon lens can be heard by deer... how about pentax?

I don't want to send a trophy running because I try and focus!?!

Or should I just take a manual lens? PS this is the first time I have ever wanted the feature where the mirror does not snap back unless you release the button!

09-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Just bring the DA* and manual focus it if you figure that the deer can hear it.

With a DA* lens i think you have to worry more about shutter noise. If you have anything other than K-7, I'm sure that the shutter is noisier than canon USM focusing.
09-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I hope the deer hears it
09-16-2010, 10:48 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Any 'human' noise will spook the deer. Worse yet would be smell. Any soap, aftershave, ect will send them running even quicker. Ask your friend the hunter on what you should be doing.
If he doesn't know what to tell you, call in sick. You don't need to be in the woods with someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

09-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I hope the deer hears it
Me too.
09-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh I have hunted with him before and we got the smell, colours, etc, all covered... I have used my KX before in the bush with a cover on the LCD and just a manual Tak 200mm...

I was more worried about deers hearing things we cannot... like the whin of an ultra sonic motor...

And for those who don't want the deers to die.... most of the meat goes to the local food bank... and the deer population is way too crowded... so really we are doing a service to the poor and the herd!
09-16-2010, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, yeah! At bow range they'll hear it!! How concerned they'll be is the question. Using manual focus and pre-focusing on the likely path eliminates that issue.

If you just can't resist using AF, again, pre-focus to minimize AF motor-time but don't count on a solid focus lock under those lighting conditions anyway.

Once the mirror flops around, focus noise will be the least of your worries. Think about everything that's happening at that point in time, not just the camera. Que your camera action on the sound of the bow string.

Buck a3.jpg photo - Pacerr photos at pbase.com

H2

Re the confusing EXIF: Was using son's Canon. Copied title line from other images and couldn't correct it later. That is aCanon image.

Last edited by pacerr; 09-16-2010 at 11:52 AM.
09-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
pacerr,

bow string... good idea!

BTW nice pbase images! Very impressive stuff!
09-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote

And for those who don't want the deers to die.... most of the meat goes to the local food bank... and the deer population is way too crowded... so really we are doing a service to the poor and the herd!
Pretty similar situation in New Jersey. All of the natural predators of deer are extinct, and most places are way too dense to permit hunting.

The state has opened up restrictions on bow hunting significantly, however there are still a lot of areas with deer overpopulation because it's too crowded even for bow hunting. The state has resorted to calling in police sharpshooters (I'm assuming the rationale here is that police sharpshooters have far more training in how to avoid collateral damage in a crowded area than most hunters.)
09-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

There's an old Native saying: A leaf fell in the forest. The eagle saw it, the deer heard it, the bear smelled it.
09-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
There's an old Native saying: A leaf fell in the forest. The eagle saw it, the deer heard it, the bear smelled it.
. . . and downtown a politician tried to pass legislation making the dying of leaves unnatural, illegal and subject to a $100 fine for littering!

H2
09-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
"I hope the deer hears it"

I third it!!!!!!
09-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
Oh I have hunted with him before and we got the smell, colours, etc, all covered...
Color isn't really a problem, IIRC deer are color blind and key in on movement. The biggest thing is smell, followed by sound, followed by movement. Go manual and try to figure out a wrap of some sort to kill/lessen the sound of your mirror flip/shutter.
09-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know of any deer that know how to use a computer, let alone a camera.
09-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
The state has resorted to calling in police sharpshooters (I'm assuming the rationale here is that police sharpshooters have far more training in how to avoid collateral damage in a crowded area than most hunters.)
Don't assume anything. A hunter in a stand, shooting down, is the only way to insure that a miss actually goes directly into the dirt.

Any shot taken level with a deer could, depending on gun and ammo, go miles.