Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pro Optic lenses

I'm looking for a little hard information here. I just got a Pro Optic 8mm fisheye, (nice lens so far, I'll put it thru it's paces this weekend and report back). Does any one know anything about the company? I heard tell that Pro Optic is actually rebadged Samyangs, can anybody confirm or deny this? I googled Pro Optic but got precious little in the way of real info.

NaCl(real information is desirable)H2O

09-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I'm looking for a little hard information here. I just got a Pro Optic 8mm fisheye, (nice lens so far, I'll put it thru it's paces this weekend and report back). Does any one know anything about the company? I heard tell that Pro Optic is actually rebadged Samyangs, can anybody confirm or deny this? I googled Pro Optic but got precious little in the way of real info.

NaCl(real information is desirable)H2O
I don't know if it is true or not, but someone once posted that pro-optic was the Adorama in house brand, and that Bower was the B&H in house brand.

As far as I know, both are rebadged Samyang lenses.

I have a pro-optic 8mm as well, bought at Adorama last Feb.

In the fisheye photo thread, I posted a shot looking streight up at times square.

I am impressed with the lens, and the quality of the shots.

However I have since discovered that if you try hard enough you can get true purple fringing. I shot the inside of a cathedral dome in Prague, which had a window in the top. It had about 20 stops over exposure compared to the rest and is outlined by purple. It is the only time I could do this.

Normal shooting the flair control is exceptional and it is almost impossible with 180 degree FOV to not have the sun in the shot.
09-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Lowell for the info, and yes I've found flare resistance to be exceptional in the few shots I tried also. I'm going out on Saturday (for once, I've got one off) and put it thru its paces. I'll post my results here. One thing that really surprised me was the rectangular images. I was expecting a circular image, I haven't tested thoroughly but it looks like a true 180 degree image on the APS sized sensor.

NaCl(looking forward to Saturday, nothing like putting a new lens thru its paces)H2O
09-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I don't know if it is true or not, but someone once posted that pro-optic was the Adorama in house brand, and that Bower was the B&H in house brand.

As far as I know, both are rebadged Samyang lenses.
From what I've read Pro-Optic is Adorama's house branding, however that was me that posted the conjecture that Bower was a house brand of B&H, and that is not true, Bower has been a photo products importer and brander on their own for some time, and happens to rebrand the same Samyang lenses, and lots of Bower branded products are sold on B&H, but also elsewhere as well. You can read more on this topic here:

Re: Samyang 35mm f/1.2 Lens: Canon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

09-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Thanks Lowell for the info, and yes I've found flare resistance to be exceptional in the few shots I tried also. I'm going out on Saturday (for once, I've got one off) and put it thru its paces. I'll post my results here. One thing that really surprised me was the rectangular images. I was expecting a circular image, I haven't tested thoroughly but it looks like a true 180 degree image on the APS sized sensor.

NaCl(looking forward to Saturday, nothing like putting a new lens thru its paces)H2O
I should try it on my PZ-1

that shoud give circular images
09-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Good idea, I also own a Vivitar 4000 (rebranded pentak K1000) that it might be fun on.

NaCl(if I can remember where I put the film)H2O
09-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you're going to use it full-frame, you'll need to shave the hood off, as outlined here:

Samyang Fisheye Lens short review
09-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I have the Rokinon branded version from Overstock.com and I love it. Amazing lens for the price, I don't think the Sigma can really be $400+ better.

Did some night shots recently with it, had this one framed for the owner:

Minimal post processing, stray light removed from trees and asphalt and cropped it, even shot in jpeg because I was feeling lazy.