Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #16
Pentaxian

It would help to better identify the subjects you want to photograph in low light. An f4 lens isn't going to help much (at the wide end at least) vs. the kit lens, which leaves me wondering if it's the ability to capture action in low light that's bothering you, or the actual optical performance. I don't have a k10d but I have a k200d with a similar sensor, and it's not an outstanding low-light sensor, even compared to my k100d. But depending on what you want to photograph, maybe even an f1.4 lens wouldn't help, if you need f4 or more for depth of field.

As far as "quality", I feel that even my k100d and the 18-55mm can produce very high quality images that are very satisfying to me, depending on what size they're viewed at, and what subject I'm photographing. There's always another step you can take - better lenses, full frame or medium-format sensors, etc. What aspect of "quality" do you seem most dissatisfied with? What would constitute "better results"? More dynamic range? Different color? Less noise?

Paul

09-20-2010, 01:56 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
You want better performance in low light, that all about one thing and one thing only: a larger maximum aperture.
Well, that and improved high ISO ability.

Assuming the K-x has even only one stop better high ISO performance than the K10D, the 18-55mm F3.5 - 5.6 can perform like a F2.5 - 4 (other than DOF). Some might say that the K-x has a two stop like-for-like ISO advantage over the K10D. It might well be that the K-r and K-5 have a three stop advantage.

It's not a coincidence that Nikon are putting energy in creating new F4 zooms... sensors have improved so much that other than for DOF requirements, large, expensive F2.8 zooms are often no longer required.
09-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
True; but I was thinking about what to be looking for in a *lens*, not a camera. One should indeed consider whether a lens or camera upgrade makes more sense. Although I'd still say that if you're shooting in low light often, you owe it to yourself to have at least one good larger aperture (aka "fast" lens). f/2.8 may well be good enough.

BTW, I think expectations of the K-7 or K-r having a three stop advantage over *any* other APS-C camera are a bit unrealistic. But the K10D is indeed one of the lowest-performing cameras Pentax made in that department. So to the extent there will be a significant improvement from a camera upgrade, it especially makes sense for a K10D owner.