Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
That particular shot doesn't knock one's socks off with edge performance compared to the center shot of the same subject. It seems about average, but certainly acceptable. The Canon shots grab one more, but it is also hard to ignore the more vibrant settings of the Canon JPEG rendition.
fair enough with the Canon rendition. however, it will be interesting to see how it will perform with a Pentax camera.

10-25-2010, 11:53 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Some amazing images!

BTW, I don't think corner performance is that important, in particular for a portrait lens like the 85/1.4. A lens designer may even opt against perfect corner performance in order to improve the overall rendering.

I'd be more than happy to own this lens. I hope the production samples live up to these pre-production images.
10-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Some amazing images!

BTW, I don't think corner performance is that important, in particular for a portrait lens like the 85/1.4. A lens designer may even opt against perfect corner performance in order to improve the overall rendering.

I'd be more than happy to own this lens. I hope the production samples live up to these pre-production images.
I forgot to mention, the girl photos were from the production copy. you can find more images from the production copy on this thread >>> Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM - Page 33 - Canon Digital Photography Forums.

feel free to browse the entire thread.

as far as corner sharpness is concerned, personally I think Sigma made the lens more than just a portrait lens but a well-balanced lens that can be used for other purposes or even more useful for portraits (e.g. people shot in the corners). this gives the lens a lot more room in terms of composition and shooting at wider apertures for nice and balanced sharpness (f1.4 to f2.8). for me, this makes the lens much better.

I do agree that Sigma could had opt to improve more sharpness at the center, however with the CA control that the Sigma has and balance, how can one complain? unless of course you are a fanboy that says this and this will always be the best lens no matter what.