Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
a Test sample from a pre-production Sigma 85/1.4

please read before you proceed.

first, I would like to thank the person who did this test, although not enough, atleast it gives us the brief idea about the Sigma 85.

things to consider:

1: pre-production copy
2: shot with a different camera
3. image was not shot wide open
4. it's a junk shot
5. I'm not the photographer

basing from the initial tester, the build is almost the same as the Sigma 50/1.4, maybe a bit better. AF is good but since it was a test copy so we don't know if they made some significant improvement. the IQ rendering particularly the sharpness and bokeh is the same as the Sigma 50, although the 85 is creamier. so in general, the 85 is like the longer version of the 50.

Now, My personal thoughts regarding the image is that it's a fine lens but I'm still a bit reserved and would not say it is already a spectacular lens due to the lack of image samples in general, and especially wide open samples.

Although, I would take the tester's word for it and I'm going for the lens. now the dilemma is, would I buy it for the K-mount or use it for a FF body? damn-it Pentax ! make it easy for me.

09-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why can't you get a PZ1 and shoot film with it also?
09-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Why can't you get a PZ1 and shoot film with it also?
because I'm done with film. not because it's bad. but because of cost and time.
09-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Inactive Account

If it's like the Sigma 50/1.4 then it'll be a treat. The Sigma 50 is a wonderful lens.

c[_]

09-29-2010, 02:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
some new sample photos from the pre-production Sigma 85/1.4

and some test shots wide open from pre-production Sigma 85/1.4

personal thoughts,

CONS: first some minimal traces of LoCa at wide aperture openings almost similar to what the DFA 100 WR macro displays. also a few very minimal traces of pf on some of the test shots. actually these can be negligible or can easily be corrected during post-processing. since those imperfections are heavy, minor adjustments are only required.

PROS: now this is what I liked about this lens. Bokeh/OOF rendering is really nice and smooth. it's great I should say although I prefer to see more samples of it as I feel that the Samyang is a bit more creamy/buttery smooth, but still great bokeh otherwise for the Sigma as it corrects or avoided a great amount of CA that has hampered the Samyang 85.

now, IQ resolution is I should say is very sharp at wide open, especially at the center and quite good at the corners. now this clearly beats the Samyang. I'd say that this lens pretty much solves the demand for a fast AF 85mm lens for the K-mount.

I just learned that the Sigma will be available and pushed back further on November. probably they'll do a few more minor lens modifications or corrections.
09-29-2010, 04:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Wow, looks great even wide open. And that cat shot is superb, what aperture setting in that picture? f2 ?
09-29-2010, 04:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The shots look nice, but the problem with those kinds of shots (similar to those coming from Photokina) is that they don't really represent the lens performance well in the corners. The only shot that has corner detail is the license plate on the Mini, but the angle is slightly oblique so it is hard to judge corners. I suspect it is stopped down quite a bit or the corners would be more out of focus. I know it isn't an interesting shot, but I wish someone would publish a shot of a building or a wall at close to a 90 degree angle.

I've written that corner sharpness may be overrated, but that seems to be the main challenge for lens makers, so it would be good to be able to compare it.
09-29-2010, 05:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, after having seen those samples I'll gladly say that I see no need to upgrade from my humble FA* 85/1.4. It may have its flaws, but I'm not complaining as my copy is, wide open, sharper than any 50/1.4 lens Pentax has ever made. Also the Sigma does easily show PF and CA (see the OOF CA in the first bike shot and the OOF circles shots) so a big step-up from my FA* it ain't. So I seriously doubt the Sigma will cause a devaluation of the FA*

It's great to see however that we finally can buy a fast AF 85/1.4. Lots of people will be very happy!

09-29-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Well, after having seen those samples I'll gladly say that I see no need to upgrade from my humble FA* 85/1.4. It may have its flaws, but I'm not complaining as my copy is, wide open, sharper than any 50/1.4 lens Pentax has ever made. Also the Sigma does easily show PF and CA (see the OOF CA in the first bike shot and the OOF circles shots) so a big step-up from my FA* it ain't. So I seriously doubt the Sigma will cause a devaluation of the FA*

It's great to see however that we finally can buy a fast AF 85/1.4. Lots of people will be very happy!
fair assessment Asahiflex. I personally say that the Pentax and Sigma are different and both are great in their own 85mm way respectively. I guess they didn't made these lenses perfect.

I'm just wondering what made Sigma postpone the sale of the lens. I can only speculate either AF or further lens correction. anyway, I could live with it's minor existing flaws with regards to IQ.

also I like the Sigma better than the FA77 which is what I'm expecting and looking for. the IQ just made it much more easier for me to decide. it has also already beaten my M85(which I really like a lot) in IQ as well, but not in size, MF feel is still an enigma however. but anyway, my existing 85mms are probably going to end in the selling block once the Sigma becomes available. I might add the Vivitar S1 90/2.5 (still thinking about it) and the Sigma 70/2.8 (awesome lens but too bad it can't go any faster). I think my budget is pretty much settled.
09-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The shots look nice, but the problem with those kinds of shots (similar to those coming from Photokina) is that they don't really represent the lens performance well in the corners. The only shot that has corner detail is the license plate on the Mini, but the angle is slightly oblique so it is hard to judge corners. I suspect it is stopped down quite a bit or the corners would be more out of focus. I know it isn't an interesting shot, but I wish someone would publish a shot of a building or a wall at close to a 90 degree angle.

I've written that corner sharpness may be overrated, but that seems to be the main challenge for lens makers, so it would be good to be able to compare it.
here is a test corner shot with the lens. I think it's not the best example for evaluation overall sharpness across the field, but atleast it gives us some idea of it's corner rendering.

09-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well, these latest shots look pretty good to me. I canceled my pre-order for this lens quite a while ago and decided to try the 77 again. I'm glad I did as "get" the 77 now. I may still get this lens someday but I'm in no hurry and it definitely won't replace the 77. The rendering is sufficiently different that I can see wanting both, depending on what type of shot you're going for. Let's just hope that Sigma doesn't decide to rescind the k-mount version of this lens as they seem to be in an anti-Pentax mood lately.
10-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
looks like the Canonites got the first taste of this lens. sucks to be left waiting for our turn. credits to the owner.

upon seeing these images, I'm pretty much sold. now, who can I mug here for some green?
10-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #13

DO want. Although I'll probably end up getting the Samyang in the form of the Rokinon. I still can't imagine paying over a couple hundred dollars for a lens. I see greatness in high dollar lenses such as this but it's only practical for professionals.

Oh what the hell am I saying, I just don't make enough money.
10-10-2010, 01:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
looks like the Canonites got the first taste of this lens. sucks to be left waiting for our turn. credits to the owner.

upon seeing these images, I'm pretty much sold. now, who can I mug here for some green?
W O W.

Those photos are amazing
10-10-2010, 07:16 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
here is a test corner shot with the lens. I think it's not the best example for evaluation overall sharpness across the field, but atleast it gives us some idea of it's corner rendering.
That particular shot doesn't knock one's socks off with edge performance compared to the center shot of the same subject. It seems about average, but certainly acceptable. The Canon shots grab one more, but it is also hard to ignore the more vibrant settings of the Canon JPEG rendition.