Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The New Bigma APO DG OS HSM, anybody tested one

Do any of you own the newest incarnation of the Bigma? or have any of you tested one? I'm asking about the Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM. I'd like to know if the optics have been improved in comparison to the prior lens. I've been debating on a K5 body, but a lens in the same $ range seems like a better idea. There isn't much info on the net about it. I see the optical formula has changed as well as the MTF. I would like to know if the new Bigma is worth the xtra $s

The readings at 10 lines per millimeter measure the lens's contrast ability (red lines), repeating fine parallel lines spaced at 30 lines per millimeter measure the lens' sharpness ability (green lines), when the aperture is wide open.

Fine repeating line sets are created parallel to a diagonal line running from corner to corner of the frame, are called Sagittal lines (S) and sets of repeating lines vertical to these lines are drawn, called Meridional (M) line sets.

Last edited by ivoire; 03-14-2011 at 07:17 PM.
09-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter

TCOM Has

Edited with correct link

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=35961776&page=1

Last edited by GaryH; 09-18-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: wrong link
09-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I tested one on a 7D for a few days and have to say, IQ wise, I couldn't see much (if any) difference to my older Pentax version. All the pics taken with it are HERE if you want to see any.
09-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This was posted on the long lens club. Some very nice shots posted by Freak.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/55946-300mm-pl...lenses-46.html

09-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the links and info. It looks like the original Bigma is better for Pentax shooters due to in-camera SR. I may rent one for a few days to see if I like the resulting images
09-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Thanks to all for the links and info. It looks like the original Bigma is better for Pentax shooters due to in-camera SR. I may rent one for a few days to see if I like the resulting images
I have had mine since last December and have really enjoyed it. I look back at some of my first shots compared to last week and find that my technique has gotten better with time. Its not a lens you can throw on the camera and fire away with great results and no effort on the photographers part. Mine practically lives on a tripod or a monopod now and it does a respectable job. I have tried to talk myself into selling the Bigma and getting the DA*300mm but I really do not want to give up the 500mm or the Zoom capability. Unfortunately, my finances do not allow me to own both.
09-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
I have had mine since last December and have really enjoyed it. I look back at some of my first shots compared to last week and find that my technique has gotten better with time. Its not a lens you can throw on the camera and fire away with great results and no effort on the photographers part. Mine practically lives on a tripod or a monopod now and it does a respectable job. I have tried to talk myself into selling the Bigma and getting the DA*300mm but I really do not want to give up the 500mm or the Zoom capability. Unfortunately, my finances do not allow me to own both.
i have the f*300mm and its excellent. i would like flexibility and the Bigma looks like the best trade-off. The only advantage i could see to the new version is HSM which i don't think is worth another $600
09-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
The only advantage i could see to the new version is HSM which i don't think is worth another $600
And the fact you can see the IS working through the viewfinder (some people find it helpful).

09-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
And the fact you can see the IS working through the viewfinder (some people find it helpful).
I guess that may be beneficial to some, but still not worth $600 to me. I was wondering if you thought the HSM made a big difference. A dramatic difference in speed and locking onto the target might sway my $s. This must be quite a beast to hold steady at 500mm.
09-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, Guys... Yes i took delivery of the new Bigma with my K-7 on Friday arvo, I have now have had 4 days with the lens, and have a few thoughts on it...

I don't have time to write them all for you here, but give me a day or two to give a summary, as i have a LOT of feelings with this lens & combo with the K-7, and would appreciate the chance to discuss some of my findings.

I have been blogging my experiences for the last 4 days, So i will try and edit it down to provide some relevant info for you guys.

But quickly I do believe it's good optically, and slightly better than i was expecting based on reviews and my own expectations... The sharpness even at 500mm is better than i expected. I have read and looked at images, which suggested the older non OS EX designated version was sharper, but actually don't think the newer lens is any worse.

The OS system is a must have, without it... It's unlikely the K-7 could get decent shots without it. I don't have 3 or stops to play with to add a higher shutterspeed, also it's amazingly effective at what it does.

PS... The Moon shot can be improved: