Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
LBA 24mm dilemma

Okay. Here's my problem....

I own the Sigma 24mm Super Wide. Great lens.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/Sigma-24mm-F2.8-Super-Wide-II-for-Pentax.html

An FA*24mm F2 has just come up locally for sale at a pretty good price.

Can I justify it? I've read the reviews. Sounds like a beautiful lens.
The sigma is great because of its size. I take that and the FA 50 1.7 hiking, but I'm not sure about the size of the FA 24.

I don't think I could justify holding onto the sigma and the FA.

Has anyone who has owned both these lenses got any feedback for me?

Also, how does the Fa 24 compare to the DA 21? Should I consider this as an option? It'd be a similar outlay.

I also own the sigma 10-20mm. Which I love.
I'm an Architect and I love to shoot buildings so wide angles are what I love.

Thanks in advance.
Andrew

Last edited by lats; 09-18-2010 at 12:46 AM.
09-18-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you do happen to go for the FA, I also live in Vancouver, and would definitely love to take that Sigma off your hands depending on what you ask for it
09-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I used to have the Sigma 24/2.8 and then the FA*24/2. IMHO, the Sigma has better sharpness, contrast and colour, but really weak on flare control and built quality (rubber & contact pin worn out very fast). The Pentax cannot focus as close and the overall image quality is just inferior to the Sigma, with pronounced donut bokeh. I have never used the DA21, but I am confidence if you are looking for the best wide in this range, the ZK 21/2.8 will beat just about any lens available. ZK18/3.5 is another option. I have found the photozone test results match my experience pretty well so you might check them out.
09-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the da21 and love it. It makes for a great portrait, environmental portrait, tight spaces like museums and landscape lens. It's super sharp at f5.6 and very useablle past that for more DOF. Unless it's impossible to get close enough,get it!

09-18-2010, 03:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I used to have the Sigma 24/2.8 and then the FA*24/2. IMHO, the Sigma has better sharpness, contrast and colour, but really weak on flare control and built quality (rubber & contact pin worn out very fast). The Pentax cannot focus as close and the overall image quality is just inferior to the Sigma, with pronounced donut bokeh. I have never used the DA21, but I am confidence if you are looking for the best wide in this range, the ZK 21/2.8 will beat just about any lens available. ZK18/3.5 is another option. I have found the photozone test results match my experience pretty well so you might check them out.
You probably own a damaged FA*24 as well as I do. I tried out other FA*24 and the bokeh as great. I regretfully missed the opportunity to buy them and replace my "donut bokeh" copy.
I Pentax service I was told that repairing the problem would be too expensive and long.
09-18-2010, 03:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Possible, but I have owned 2 brand new copies over the years and they are identical in optical performance.
09-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A while ago, I too had a similar question that I started a thread on. There were quite a few that responded and posted a lot of wonderful information that may be useful here.....

09-18-2010, 06:12 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

I have been lusting after FA*24 for a while, one has been sitting in my local shop for a while, but I can't make myself spend another £500 for lens....
Anyway, FA* is not all that much bigger than Sigma 24/2.8 AF SWII ( I used to own one). Bit taller and slightly heavier but nothing horrible. IQ, I can't comment all that much, only tried the FA* on 1 occasion and was pleasantly surprised by the IQ right from f2. I never liked the output from my copy of the Sigma 24....
IMO - go for the FA*
09-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
Inactive Account

The FA* 24 is an excellent lens. It out performs any sigma at f2.0. Its flare control is excellent and personally I like its rendition.

That said I don't use it that much. I prefer the 20mm focal length and there I used the Carl Zeiss Flektogon at f2.8. Or I just go for the Sigma 24-70 HSM EX EG IF.

But if you are sure you need a prime at 24mm then there is no better option in my mind.

˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜
And for those of you who are frothing at the mouth at an infrequently used FA* 24mm, no, I'm not giving up my copy. You never know when it will make just the right lens choice!
09-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own the Sigma 24mm F1.8 and have owned two flawed copies of the FA* 24. Both were somwhat decentered and were incredibly soft at F2.0 to F4.0. F5.6 was barely useable. Needless to say, I've given up on the Pentax. The Sigma 24mm F1.8 works quite well. It is quite sharp even at F1.8 focuses much closer than the Pentax and has decent bokeh. It's also a bunch cheaper, and a half stop faster. I had a typical wide angle hood on it but that didn't help too much with flare so I went with a "normal" rubber hood and flare control is much better. IMO it is a good to excellent indoor low light performer, and makes a decent landscape lens.