Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2010, 03:10 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Need help from Tamron/Simga Users

I'm planning on purchasing three new lens within the next couple months. My question is in regards to the Tamron's build quality. I'm going to purchase a 17-50 2.8, 28-75 2.8 and 70-200 2.8.. I do have the SP DI 90 which I purchased a year ago and really like the lens.. I use the lens a couple twices a month and mostly on a tripod, so I'm not really hard on the lens. I'm looking for people that use the above mentioned lens on a regular basis and that have had the lens for a couple of years. They will be able to testify as to how the lens may hold up.I'm looking a the Simga's in similar focal lenghts as well,I currently have the 10-20 and IMO the Simga appears to be the better build of the two, but Tamron would win out in optical quality according to many reviewers.I can save a several hundred dollars and receive a 6 year warranty with the Tamrons.I have looked over most all the reviews I can find, but just looking for some current opinions on Tamron or Simga. I would love to purchase the 16-50 and 50-135, but the 1 year warranty and problems with focus motors have scared me away for now. Any comments will really help!!
Mike

09-18-2010, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #2

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
I have had the Sigma APO 70-200 f2.8 EX DG HSM II version for a little while now, (got it early this year) & find it to be a great lens. It's well built but a little on the heavy side (1.3kg) but I don't mind. The IQ is pretty good I think it wouldn't be to much lower than the Tamron. The HSM setup is great & really helps with the focus speed, specially on a Pentax, (main reasons I got it). Mine is mainly used for motorcross. There were a few versions that had problems but the version I have is good. With this model some had problems with the front lens element but the problem was fixed & the lenses with a serial number starting with "104" were good ones, I would guess the higher number serials would also be good to. This lens has been upgraded though & is probably hard to get now & the newer version is more expensive because it has had OS added & better glass. The Sigma OS on some of there lenses will work on the Pentax cameras so you can use the SR function or turn it off & turn the OS on instead, but not both together.
09-18-2010, 05:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the useful info!!!
Mike