Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2010, 07:34 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Sigma Mini-Wide 1:2.8 28mm set to "A" position

Hello all,

My first post in the forums although I have been using them for a quite a while.

I was hoping someone could let me know if I am missing something.

I have recently bought a K20D - still have my old K110D and had an old Sigma Mini-Wide 1:2.8 28mm manual lens.

I have not used the lens in a long time and I dug it out to try it on the K20D. It mounts with no problems and I have the aperture ring set to the "A" position but it does not seem to open up passed F4 on the K20D display (I also tried it on my K110D and it is the same - will not open up on the camera display passed F4).

It has been so long since I used this lens that I cannot recall if it was doing this previously - any ideas why it won't go to F2.8 on the camera display?

Thanks!

09-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Sadillah Quote
Hello all,

My first post in the forums although I have been using them for a quite a while.

I have recently bought a K20D - still have my old K110D and had an old Sigma Mini-Wide 1:2.8 28mm manual lens.

I have not used the lens in a long time and I dug it out to try it on the K20D. It mounts with no problems and I have the aperture ring set to the "A" position but it does not seem to open up passed F4 on the K20D display (I also tried it on my K110D and it is the same - will not open up on the camera display passed F4).

It has been so long since I used this lens that I cannot recall if it was doing this previously - any ideas why it won't go to F2.8 on the camera display?

Thanks!
Try cleaning the contacts on the lens with a pencil eraser.
09-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I have exactly the same issue using a Sigma mini-wide 2 PKA fit lens on a Samsung GX20.

The lens works perfectly well on a Pentax P50 Film SLR - opening the aperture and holding down the DOF preview button the iris opens nicely wide open and operating the aperture ring manualy and opening up to F2.8 shows a corresponding faster shutter speed as expected.

A Pentax 50mm F1.7 PKA lens has no problem on the GX20 displaying all apertures.

A mystery that I am very keen to try and resolve.

Any comments would be appreciated.
09-30-2010, 06:36 AM   #4

Original Poster
Tom - sorry for not responding sooner. I tried cleaning as you said and unfortunately no difference.

Phill - exactly the same here - I have the 50mm F1.7 also and it along with my other old manual lenses work without any problems - it is a bit weird.

Thanks

09-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
FWIW, I don't have this problem with the 24mm mini-wide.
09-30-2010, 06:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sadillah Quote
Hello all,

Thanks!
mine works just fine, note that if it only goes to F4 on the aperture control the camera thinks that it is an F4 lens, to me that suggests a dirty contact on either the lens or the body.
10-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
Tom & Lowell,

Well it appears that you both may have been correct regarding dirt contacts, as things seems to have rectified themself (or whatever piece of grime or gunk on the contacts has dropped off!) F2.8 can now be set on the K20d and my K110D!

Thanks!