Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

af teleconvertor

Does anyone know of or could recommend a TC for my KX that will still allow AF on my DA L 1:4-5.8 55-300mm lense. Thanks in advance. Thinking of buying a longer lense but was going to try for this first.

09-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any of these will do the trick (I especially recommend the Tamron):
SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database
Sigma 1.4x DG EX APO Teleconverter Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database
SIGMA APO 1.4x EX Teleconverter Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database
Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is an extremely rare post where I disagree with Adam who knows far more than I in general.

I used the Tamron 1.4x Pz MC4 with my DA55-300 but after running some tests quickly realized that the quality of my shot was BETTER without the TC using the lens alone and cropping to the desired field of view. Although the TC physically and electrically works with the lens, I could not recommend it as a better system than the lens alone. Tried and failed. Not the fault of the TC as I had 4 other kinds to play with. The lens just is not high enough quality even though its fine stand-alone.

I think my findings here represent the majority of those who have posted on the same topic in the past.
09-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Lee. Find a TC that works - physically fits, allows AF - is not hard. Finding a TC that actually produces better results with a typical consumer zoom like the 55-300 than simply shooting without the TC and cropping - *that's* the challenge.