Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #1

Best Lens

Hi Guys,

I was going to change my K200d, for a camera that i could get cheaper lens for.. but looking around i have not found anything that i really like.. So ive decided that i am going to just buy a new lens instead.

I want to get a good all round lens, one that can stay on the camera almost 90% of the time. What kind of choices do i have? Budget is not really a problem, but something fast would be nice.

All Advice is greatly appreciated

09-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I am not sure that there is anything fast that you could leave on almlst all the time, though the closest thing might be the Pentax 17-70 f4 or the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 (slightly faster at the wide end). Those might work for 90% of your shots, and either will extend your zoom range to 4x from the kit's 3x and both considerable additional speed from 50mm out.

Soon to be announced, apparently, is an 18-125 WR lens; we won't know for a couple of days how fast it it but it is likely to be the same as your kit lens at the wide end and somewhat faster by 50mm. The main selling points of this lens will be the combination of a fairly wide zoom range (between 6x and 7x) with weather-sealing, which would go nicely with your K200D.

Last edited by Impartial; 09-18-2010 at 02:30 PM.
09-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The type of photography that interests you will steer you to the most appropriate lens. If you are interested in landscapes a * 300/f4 may not be all that useful, for example.

If its an all around lens for a bit of everything, then probably a zoom 16-45, *16-50, 17-70, 18-200, 18-250 - some of these have been discontinued. If you are looking for something fast then the *16-50/2.8

09-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The best lens is the lens that you use. The worst lens is the lens that you don't use. With a simple P&S, the decision is made for you. With a SLR, you must decide which lens is best for any occasion. Some of us have many many lenses and get to make many choices. No single lens (or even any ten lenses) is/are best for all situations. That's why we have interchangeable glass.

My story: When I moved up to a dSLR a couple years ago, I asked myself: What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have? (Which was a 5mpx Sony DSC-V1.) The answers led me to a DA10-17 fisheye zoom, a DA18-250 walkaround superzoom (now discontinued), and a fast FA50/1.4. A hundred lenses later, those are still what I use most, especially traveling. The 18-250 stays on my K20D much of the time. I may use a 16/2.8 more than the 10-17 because it's faster there. That Fast Fifty is great for low light. I'll minimally supplement that set with an 85/2, or a 90/2.8 macro, or whatever else begs to be used that day.

Go ahead, buy many DA* and Ltd lenses. Keep the PenHoya management and shareholders happy. The more lenses, the merrier.

09-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

when I don't know what i'm going to shoot I just put on the sigma 17-70 and that covers everything from wide angle to portrait. If the rumoured 18-135WR is any good I would probably go for that. On the other had if I am planing on shooting a specific subject or want plan on trying to get the best possible photo then i break out the primes.

If your more interested in zoom then i've always thought the idea of ultra wide zoom plus 24-70/28-75/2.8 plus telephoto zoom would be ideal.
09-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The best lens would be one that knows the sensor, and can read your mind. It would then change the mm length from 0-inf. Auto: aperture, iso and shutter. Then would allow focusing from any distance. That would be the best lens.
09-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troglodyte Quote
The best lens would be one that knows the sensor, and can read your mind. It would then change the mm length from 0-inf. Auto: aperture, iso and shutter. Then would allow focusing from any distance. That would be the best lens.
You forgot, it should be a pancake, with a max aperture of f1 and a minimum of f44, with physics-defying diffraction-less sharpness all the way through the range.
09-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Any Canon Body and a 24-105 f/4L

For Pentax though I can't really call anything to mind, it's a gap in the line, and no third party manufacturers fill it in either

The only things that might fit the bill are the DA* 60-250 F/4, DA* 50-135 F/2.8, Tamron 28-75 F/2.8, or a Tamron 17-50 F/2.8

With my personal style of photography I'd probably kill for the 60-250, it all depends on the individual though, those are just some of the few fast lenses that maintain their speed over a large zoom range, you'd be hard pressed to find any more modern lenses like those

Last edited by future_retro; 09-18-2010 at 11:25 PM.
09-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If budget doesn't matter, I would go with the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM. I have been lusting over that lens for a while now, but don't have $800 to spend on it. It is a little tighter at the bottom than some others, but the less focal range you have, the less distortion you have as well...
09-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As always, the question you need to ask yourself is, what *specifically* about the lens(es) you own already is limiting you, and what are willing to give up in order to address that limitation? If the problem is simply the kit lens not being fast enough, then faster zooms in the same range exist (eg, Tamron 17-50/2.8), but at a cost in dollars and size/weight. If you want speed but would rather not pay that much or have a lens that size/weight, then a prime makes more sense. Or if you want more range (the usual thing people have in mind when they speak of wanting a lens to leave on all the time), there are plenty of other slow consumer zooms to chose from, from 16-45, 17-70, 18-125, 18-200, 18-250, and apparently a new 18-135 to be announced tomorrow.