Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
What filters to get?

I'm thinking to up the quality of my photos, so filters might be good way to do that.
I think CPL filter and safety filter would be good choice, so what kind of 52mm filters to get, that would be good for my lenses? (see my sig.)
If you think i should get something else too, please tell me. Thanks.

09-18-2010, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All you need is a CP (Circular Polarizer), and no protection filters.

Because not only do lens hoods give you the protection you need for the glass, but UV and skylight filters degrade your image.

When you're into this big time, you may HAVE to get into Neutral Density (ND) filters, but for 99% of shooters, you don't.

Of course, if you walk into a camera store that SELLS skylight and UV filters, they're going to tell you that you NEED skylight and UV filters.

So the next step you take is up to you, but don't say that I and others haven't warned you.
09-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Oh. no need for protection filter? well more money for CPL
So what is the best polarizer filter for my gear? Maybe Marumi DHG Super Circular?
09-18-2010, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What Ira said. Software pretty well covers the filter arena except for polarizers, special effects (e.g. star filter, etc, and that's arguable) and ND filters for reduced shutter speed. Hi-end graduated filters are possible exceptions too. Check out the free trials of Nik Software's Color Efex Pro plug-in as a good example.

I've cannibalized just about all of my old color filters to make various ring adapters. And I'm not one to bad mouth good quality UV filters under the right circumstances -- very high altitude UV conditions (not FL, Ira!) or risk of physical lens damage (where I'd use "lesser" lenses anyway).

One or more empty (glass removed)filter rings can provide a modicum of shade and a lot of prophylactic protection against 'filter ring bashing' mishaps.

H2

09-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Anklee Quote
So what is the best polarizer filter for my gear? Maybe Marumi DHG Super Circular?
There are threads here about this, grading the different brands, but this is where I'm coming from:

If you look at my signature, you'll see my many lenses, most with different filter sizes, although 49mm is the most common amongst them.

So...

I can buy a $100 (and more) CP filter at 49mm to handle those lenses, but what about my others? I can buy a 52mm and use it on my 49mm lenses and others with step-down ring, but now you need to use a step-up ring to use your lens hood. (And properly sized lens hoods are VERY important. They dramatically increase contrast and kill flare.) So unless you can afford the properly sized CP for all of your lenses at $100 and more a pop, what's the answer?

I use the Cokin system, with filter rings for all of my lenses and just one CP. And while the Cokin CP might get a bad rap from some folks, my Cokin allows me to use my CP and lens hoods for every lens I now own and any that I'll buy in the future.

It's a compromise, but one that I can afford. And a real life situation:

I'm out shooting with my 50 Tak, and I now want to switch to my 90. All I have to do is swap out the ring on the Cokin assembly, pop off a hood modules (on the Cokin, you configure the hood for your focal length as you need it), and screw that into my 90.

If I could afford high-end for CPs in every filter diameter I need, I might do it, but that ain't the case now. And using step-down rings, plus step-up rings to accommodate the hoods, I just find the Cokin to be an easier and more practical solution.

A CP helps you reduce water glare, darken skies, and get more saturated colors. And even though the camera can help with color saturation, it's always better to do this naturally and not in post processing.

Two examples below of the Cokin CP with my Super Tak 50.

09-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm thinking to up the quality of my photos, so filters might be good way to do that.
I think CPL filter and safety filter would be good choice, so what kind of 52mm filters to get, that would be good for my lenses? (see my sig.)
If you think i should get something else too, please tell me. Thanks.
For your K2 film camera you do not need a CPL, you can use a cheaper Linear Polarizer.

Recommending other filters depends on what type of film you shoot.

Phil.
09-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
For your K2 film camera you do not need a CPL, you can use a cheaper Linear Polarizer.
Why would you?

09-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Why would you?
Example:

At B&H Photo a 52mm B+W MRC polarizer filter costs:

Circular - $79.00
Linear - $55.00

You can use the savings to get another filter.

Phil.
09-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Example:

At B&H Photo a 52mm B+W MRC polarizer filter costs:

Circular - $79.00
Linear - $55.00

You can use the savings to get another filter.

Phil.
79 minus 55 equals 24.

What filter for 24?

And does a linear come with the rotating assembly?
09-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

79 minus 55 equals 24.

What filter for 24?

And does a linear come with the rotating assembly?
Yes a Linear & Circular polarizer work the same way, it’s the filter optics/coatings that are different.

As for what the OP can do with $24.00, if he/she shoots b&w film you can get a Hoya HMC 52mm red or yellow filter for $23.85.

Phil
09-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I can buy a $100 (and more) CP filter at 49mm to handle those lenses, but what about my others? I can buy a 52mm and use it on my 49mm lenses and others with step-down ring, but now you need to use a step-up ring to use your lens hood. (And properly sized lens hoods are VERY important. They dramatically increase contrast and kill flare.) So unless you can afford the properly sized CP for all of your lenses at $100 and more a pop, what's the answer?

I use the Cokin system, with filter rings for all of my lenses and just one CP. And while the Cokin CP might get a bad rap from some folks, my Cokin allows me to use my CP and lens hoods for every lens I now own and any that I'll buy in the future.

It's a compromise, but one that I can afford. And a real life situation:
But all my lenses can use 52mm filters so i dont have to think about getting different sizes of filters or put my money on elaborate systems like Cokin rig.

Recommending other filters depends on what type of film you shoot.

Phil.
Why get two different types when i can use same CPL filter for both cameras?

Yes a Linear & Circular polarizer work the same way, it’s the filter optics/coatings that are different.

As for what the OP can do with $24.00, if he/she shoots b&w film you can get a Hoya HMC 52mm red or yellow filter for $23.85.

Phil
i have blue hoya 80B filter its useful indoors with k2, but is that any good for bw photos?

btw. thanks for all your help.
09-18-2010, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why get two different types when i can use same CPL filter for both cameras?
Getting a CPL is not necessarily the way to go for both your cameras. If you shoot mostly film then I would get a linear polarizer. You can still use a linear on your DSLR, especially since most of your lenses are MF K series. (You may have some metering issues though.) It’s a trade off, as a linear is more effective as a polarizer.

i have blue hoya 80B filter its useful indoors with k2, but is that any good for bw photos?
Your 80B filter is for using colour daylight film indoors in tungsten lighting. It changes the colour temperature of the light to match daylight (5500K), so you don’t get yellowish pictures. You do not need this filter for b&w film.

Phil.
09-19-2010, 02:23 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Getting a CPL is not necessarily the way to go for both your cameras. If you shoot mostly film then I would get a linear polarizer. You can still use a linear on your DSLR, especially since most of your lenses are MF K series. (You may have some metering issues though.) It’s a trade off, as a linear is more effective as a polarizer.

Your 80B filter is for using colour daylight film indoors in tungsten lighting. It changes the colour temperature of the light to match daylight (5500K), so you don’t get yellowish pictures. You do not need this filter for b&w film.

Phil.
I use mostly my K-7 so i need the light metering. I'll go with the circular one.
thanks for the info.
09-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

You can recreate a neutral density filter by using two stacked circular polarizers. I think the neutral density filter is one of the most important, especially with low sync speeds.

But get a good one. And I'd buy a larger filter than 52mm, I'd get a 52mm to 58mm step up ring and get that size.
09-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
You can recreate a neutral density filter by using two stacked circular polarizers. I think the neutral density filter is one of the most important, especially with low sync speeds.

But get a good one. And I'd buy a larger filter than 52mm, I'd get a 52mm to 58mm step up ring and get that size.

Then why not buy 1 CPL and 1 ND filter then?
What is exactly the benefit of getting step up ring and bigger filter?