Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #1

First photo with my Tamron 500mm

First photo i ever took with my $7.00 Tamron 500mm i found at a garage sale. I finally got the pentax adaptall in the mail.
Handheld, no tripod or monopod.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
09-18-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mmmmmm... Doughnut Bokeh.
09-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't read this EXIF data without downloading the image and opening (I'm on a Mac with no browser EXIF reader available), but I'll say this:

1) You should never expect to hand-hold a 500 and get good results.

2) Based on your image, you CAN expect good results when it's mounted on a tripod.

The IQ looks VERY acceptable, but when you get into this focal length, forget it. Even with SR, Superman would have a problem doing anything at 500 hand-held.

Hell, most of us have problems starting at 200.
09-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I can't read this EXIF data without downloading the image and opening (I'm on a Mac with no browser EXIF reader available), but I'll say this:

2) Based on your image, you CAN expect good results when it's mounted on a tripod.

The IQ looks VERY acceptable, but when you get into this focal length, forget it. Even with SR, Superman would have a problem doing anything at 500 hand-held.

Hell, most of us have problems starting at 200.
What are you seeing that I am not seeing? It's in good focus, you can see the chipmunk's whiskers, and the scar on it's shank is very distinct. I downloaded the image, resized it by 10x and there are still details to be seen in the image. As for the donut bokeh it's the nature of the beast with mirror lenses and out of focus vegetation attests to the shallow depth of field of f8.0 fixed aperture of this lens.

OP, this is a good image, I'd be happy with it considering you shot this at 1/100th of a second hand held. If you think the bokeh is distracting you have to compose the image where the back and fore ground is sufficiently away from the subject, but nature seldom cooperates as we would like. An aerial shot is hard to do with a mirror lens, but no need to worry about bokeh in most instances then.

Thanks,

09-18-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
That's the whole point of a mirror lens - you can handhold it and get good results:

09-18-2010, 11:23 PM   #6

Nice stuff folks.

Damn, now I am going to have to get one of these!
09-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
What are you seeing that I am not seeing? It's in good focus, you can see the chipmunk's whiskers, and the scar on it's shank is very distinct. I downloaded the image, resized it by 10x and there are still details to be seen in the image. As for the donut bokeh it's the nature of the beast with mirror lenses and out of focus vegetation attests to the shallow depth of field of f8.0 fixed aperture of this lens.

OP, this is a good image, I'd be happy with it considering you shot this at 1/100th of a second hand held. If you think the bokeh is distracting you have to compose the image where the back and fore ground is sufficiently away from the subject, but nature seldom cooperates as we would like. An aerial shot is hard to do with a mirror lens, but no need to worry about bokeh in most instances then.

Thanks,
Well, i did take about 15 shots of the chipmunk in quick succession while VERY slowly moving the focus. This is one out of 2 shots that turned out good. Just so everyone knows that i didn't take 1 or 2 shots and get it like this the first time.
09-19-2010, 05:38 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Good shots; Good Price

I had to pay a LOT more for my 500mm mirror than you. I always use it handheld, little point in having it otherwise. I have also found that Pentax's 4 stop claim for SR is no idle boast. With f8 you need to be able to shoot at 1/60, 1/125 or the ISO noise will be too high.