Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens Hood for Voigtlander?

Searching for a hood for my VL 180mm APO Lanthar. Aftermarket or original would be suitable. Can someone suggest a source?

09-19-2010, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Searching for a hood for my VL 180mm APO Lanthar. Aftermarket or original would be suitable. Can someone suggest a source?

Camera Quest? Contact Steve Gandy directly. He may have one sitting around.
CameraQuest Home Page

Steve
09-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

hi jeff.... someone else in the forum (can't remember who).... had used an asahi 49mm hood.... i just purchase one on fleabay... in super condition, for 11 bucks...
Asahi optical co. Takumar lens hood for three different lenses, the 135mm f3.5, 150mm f4, and the 200mm f5.6. It takes a 49mm thread
... much better than the rubber hood i'd been using.... much !!
check fleabay..... there have been a few of these for sale...
dave m

...http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=takumar+49mm&_sacat=0&_odkw=asahi+49mm&_osa....c0.m270.l1313

Last edited by dcmsox2004; 09-19-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: more info
09-19-2010, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Dan

Searching for a hood for my VL 180mm APO Lanthar. ...
The original, round, bayonet-mounted LH-75S works really well with this lens. Steve Gandy has them in stock for $69. The hood is listed at the bottom of this page:

FOR SALE

Admittedly, $69 is a bit steep for a lens hood, but it is a very high-quality hood.

Dan

09-19-2010, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I may be the member to whom dave m is referring. I just sold my V 180mm with the tak hood. It was a kind of geeky-looking combo but it worked.

09-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I may be the member to whom dave m is referring. I just sold my V 180mm with the tak hood. It was a kind of geeky-looking combo but it worked.
You Sold It??

:huh:

This is one of the nicest lenses I've ever owned. I actually didn't mind selling my Vivitar S1 105 to pay for it (someone in Australia is now enjoying it)..

Anyway, Thanks all for the suggestions. I think I'm going to go for the original. I want the bayonet mount type. I'll just have to bite the bullet and empty the paypal account on one.

09-21-2010, 03:51 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

You Sold It??
What's worse, I didn't use it much when I had it. I'm not sure why but it just never found a niche in my kit. Just out of curiosity, what kind of subjects will you shoot with it?
09-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So far, I've only made test shots with it but I'm hoping to use it for it's closeup capability as a longish macro (type) lens. I've removed the glass from a cheapo automatic 2xTC to use as an extension tube and can focus down to about 30 inches. What I like about the lens, aside from it's rendering, is that it's tac sharp, even wide open (aside from me missing the focus a bit at times) and is about half the size and weight of my FA*200 f2.8. So if I want to take a limited lightweight kit along, it fills the mid-tele range very nicely.

With the 180mm and the TC extension tube, I've only done a little bit of testing (the red berry) but it looks promising to me.

Voigtlander 180mm f4 APO Lanthar - a set on Flickr

I basically traded the Vivitar 105 for it (by selling it) because I wasn't using that lens. After having it for 3+ years, I think I did about 50 shots with it. I don't think I ever put it on my K20d and only tested it out on the K7. The guy who bought it got a basically new lens for a fair price (or at least I think so).

09-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the response. It's funny how we just 'click' with some lenses and not others, isn't it?