Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
M 50 F1.4 and K20d Problem

Hi,

I wonder if there are any of you who have problems with using the K20d and A 50 F1.4. I've had the shutter release freeze on me a few times. This seems to be an intermittent problem. I've since found out that when I turned on my K20d after mounting the 50 then scrolled through a few focal lengths first before choosing 50mm to tell the camera what lens was mounted on it, the problem would disappear.

Does anyone have the same problem? What about other lenses in the M range? I ask because you can usually purchase a used M lens for a very good price and the quality of the optics is quite good.

Any feedback appreciated!

Cheers,

Ramon

09-20-2010, 02:09 AM   #2

I use a few M lenses on my K7 without any problem. The shutter fires fine no matter which focal length is specified.
You have to make sure the aperture ring is set to "A" and the focus mode is set to "M". (Sorry if this advice is too trivial.)
09-20-2010, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

With the M lenses and the camera in AFS mode, the shutter wont release unless the camera thinks it has focus lock. So you need the green hexagon lit. This can be used to your advantage by using it as a "catch in focus".

If like me you want full control over the shutter with Mlenses, make sure the camera is in manual (focus) mode.
09-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Ramon, think Peter is on to something there,have had mine long enough to make
me sound old. guess theres couple of ways to 'fix', as Peter suggest or disable
catch in focus in custom menu selection. that nifty 50/1.4 is my favorite.
Bill

09-21-2010, 05:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
ilan, Peter and Bill,

Thanks for your advice. I now know what I was doing wrong - I hadn't switched the AF to manual. This explains the intermitten nature of the problem. The shutter fired when I was spot on with my focussing but did not when I was off. Makes sense!

Ramon
09-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rortiz Quote
ilan, Peter and Bill,

Thanks for your advice. I now know what I was doing wrong - I hadn't switched the AF to manual. This explains the intermitten nature of the problem. The shutter fired when I was spot on with my focussing but did not when I was off. Makes sense!

Ramon
Welcome to the world of Catch In Focus (focus trap). Set your camera to AF-S, press the shutter release while turning the focus ring. As soon as it sees focus, the shutter will trip. I think you have to turn it on in the custom menu for it to work though.