Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What caught my eye was the rounded aperture blades. If this lens is weather resistant with nice smooth bokeh, and the images turn out to be sharp and contrasty with Pentax colors, I may have to adjust my longstanding views against all-in-one zooms.

09-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure if it is a step backwards. since it has some things that answer a photographers' need in a zoom lens.

very good versatility - the 18mm-135mm focal length is the ideal choice for general purpose single zoom lens setup for most occasions. eliminates the need for the 18-55 completely, 55-200 (almost) and DA55-300's 55-135 focal length (the strong focal range or sweet spot distances) of the lens.
the 18-250mm has a bit more versatility but has some major issues in some important aspects that is important for the above novice user.

promising optical construction - we could only hope that the optical quality of the elements produce some outstanding images that deserves more than a kit lens status but a bang for the buck, budget version of an above good consumer grade or high-end lens. I wish it's even better than the DA55-300 already very good and sometimes/occasional great rendering. I hope that it does solve or not have the awful distortion of the 18-55 and 18-250 at 18mm.

DC Auto-Focus - this is a promising new development. silent, yet still fast. eliminates the annoying screwdrive noise while shooting in public.

WR - not that I really need it but still a great addition on those occasions you least expect, especially when travelling.

IF - atleast it doesn't extend while doing focusing.

rounded aperture blades - possibly for stopped down portraits.

compact size - it is smaller and lighter than it's other zoom lens equivalent. I believe it is even smaller and lighter than some of the zoom lens with less reach.

on a sidenote: the $550+ price premium seems to be a bit much for a lens with a variable aperture speed, unless it's a slightly above consumer grade lens. but still a $400 would be more of a reasonable price.
also, this could jeopardize the future of the 16-45, 17-70 and coul have an impact on the sales of both DA16-50 and DA50-135.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 09-20-2010 at 09:28 PM.
09-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
everyone is bashing pentax left and right for not giving them what they want, but believe it or not what pentax is offering is really appealing to a lot of people.
The outbreaks of virulence and negativity particularly on the 'other' forum seem weird to me - with both new camera announcements and this new lens it seems to me that Pentax have been sitting there with a notebook writing down exactly what everyone has been asking for and now giving it to them. There seems to be have been a bit of a screwup with the initial K-5 price announcement but as we all know prices initially announced mean very little.
09-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Nikon has the 18-105 as a kit for the D90 and new owners are pretty happy with it. Pretty good optical performance as well from what I have tried.
So a 18-135 is a right step forward for entrant users.

We can't expect Pentax to always give the lenses we old birds want. Give some thought for the new ppl.

09-21-2010, 10:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
hey're talking about a new DC motor- maybe it'll actually be fast?
I'd rather hope it were more reliable over time ...
09-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Nikon has the 18-105 as a kit for the D90 and new owners are pretty happy with it. Pretty good optical performance as well from what I have tried.
So a 18-135 is a right step forward for entrant users.

We can't expect Pentax to always give the lenses we old birds want. Give some thought for the new ppl.

The Nikon 18-105 kit lens that came with the D90 has the plastic mount. Let's hope that this 18-135 with WR has also good optical performance that I can use for traveling. Does this come with metal or plastic mount?
09-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Certainly a metal mount. DA-L are the only ones with plastic mounts.

09-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #23

The DC drive is a mystery

With Pentax calling it a direct current motor, it definitely isn't SDM.

Some of us are wondering whether it is the first lens to have the direct drive described in a recent Pentax patent. This patent shows a phased pulse-drive motor that can be coupled both to the normal screw drive and quick-shift system.

If it's just an el cheapo DC motor driving a gear train, I won't be as excited.

Mike
09-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
what is the lens' msrp? I can't find it anywhere.
$529.95
09-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Anyone knows what focal length the variable apertures changes ?
09-23-2010, 12:34 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Lenses with variable maximum aperture really are variable. They don't suddenly change from f/4 to f/4.5 (or whatever) at some particular focal length; the camera just makes it seem that way because it rounds off the actual aperture to the nearest half stop. It's really just a long slow steady decline, not a series of steps.
09-23-2010, 12:46 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
With Pentax calling it a direct current motor, it definitely isn't SDM.

Some of us are wondering whether it is the first lens to have the direct drive described in a recent Pentax patent. This patent shows a phased pulse-drive motor that can be coupled both to the normal screw drive and quick-shift system.

If it's just an el cheapo DC motor driving a gear train, I won't be as excited.

Mike
Do we actually know for sure that "DC" stands for "Direct Current" here? It strikes me that a lot of people might be jumping to an obvious - but wrong - conclusion.

It could easily stand for something like "Direct Coupled", for example.

Whatever - it sounds like a highly desirable lens to me, I just wish I could afford one!
09-23-2010, 04:39 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two or three years ago, Pentax said that they were planning over time to move to in lens motors for zooms and continue to screw drive for limited primes. I would say that lenses like this one, the DA 17-70 are in line with that. There are still plenty of lenses that are useable with pre-K100super camera bodies and I am sure will continue to be for a long time to come.

There has been some conjecture that having both screw drive and SDM capability in the 50-135 and 16-50 increased their complexity and made them more prone to failure. Not sure if that is true, but it probably didn't help matters any.
09-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
SDM only will make a lot of people leery of this lens, myself included.
Get used to it. Pentax users are feeling the pain now, but look at Canon. They made the change in the late 80's, and Nikon has been making the change for a few years (especially in the lower consumer models like the D40).

A couple body revisions from now there likely won't be a screw drive in any new bodies, and it will all be SDM/DC (or whatever).

It will mean that lenses with only screw drive AF will become manual focus lenses. Such is life. They will still be usable, just like a K lens is usable with stop down metering (if not the same way as designed).
09-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Get used to it. Pentax users are feeling the pain now, but look at Canon. They made the change in the late 80's, and Nikon has been making the change for a few years (especially in the lower consumer models like the D40).

A couple body revisions from now there likely won't be a screw drive in any new bodies, and it will all be SDM/DC (or whatever).

It will mean that lenses with only screw drive AF will become manual focus lenses. Such is life. They will still be usable, just like a K lens is usable with stop down metering (if not the same way as designed).
All this is probably true, but as an "enthousiast" brand, they will have at least one body with backwards compability.

Nikon did it NOW with the D7000 as a direct response to demand.

The voices of pentaxians is quite loud so Pentax will never get away with removning screw support.

Personaly i look forward to the 18-135 and will most likely buy it. And i hope the do continue in that direction. But i think they will support screw in the future to.