Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Quincy,Ma.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 224
SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR

This could prove to be a good walk around lens for those who wish to have one lens and keep the long ones aside until needed

09-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,981
SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database

Any with money in their pockets...

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised to see the price that high. Guess it's not going to be sold as a 'kit' lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member
macTak's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 759
Well, I said I thought it would be in line with the DA17-70 (which is around $480) or a bit more, so I cannot say I'm surprised. After all, if anything its features are upgraded over the DA17-70, only the focal lengh is different, and it is not a constant f4 lens. So I think in the end they balance out and should be priced roughly togeather (which is not to say that they aren't both a bit steep).

Accoring to dpreview, the new DA18-135 will be in a K-5 kit, but kit lens it is not.
09-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,146
Man, I really hope the performance on this lens is lame because it's zoom range is right down my alley...and I'm too old be be coming down with LBA!

09-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
What the heck is KAF3, further crippled KAF2? Well, it doesn't matter to me, this new 18-135 isn't going to be on my horizon anytime soon, if ever.

Thanks,
09-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
What the heck is KAF3, further crippled KAF2? Well, it doesn't matter to me, this new 18-135 isn't going to be on my horizon anytime soon, if ever.

Thanks,
The KAF3 is the SDM only mount, so no screw-drive (same mount as the DA 17-70).
09-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,782
I had, until recently, a Sigma 18-125 lens with very similar numbers to this lens. It was a good length and a good performer. I let it go because I wanted more length but I have to say that the WR feature is not without interest to me. I think this is a good addition to the lens options.

Last edited by blackcloudbrew; 09-20-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: I had the wrong length on the Sigma lens.
09-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,631
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Any with money in their pockets...

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised to see the price that high. Guess it's not going to be sold as a 'kit' lens.
It's pretty close in price to the DA 18-250 isn't it? Seems reasonable to me; less range, but with WR and silent motor. The only thing we don't know now is how the IQ compares.

09-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
Not just IQ.
SDM performance on the K-7/K-5/K-x/K-r and how tough it's gonna be...
09-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
Senior Member
older not wiser's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: East Yorkshire
Posts: 120
Hopefully the DC motor will be an improvement on SDM that I notice is not mentioned on this lens.
I really hope this lens is as good as it sounds because this would be my ideal lens range.
09-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
Since this is about lenses, not cameras, I'm moving it to the proper forum,
09-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 523
I am also curious to see how IQ compares to competition, price will have to bring something more to get/keep my attention
09-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Well, I said I thought it would be in line with the DA17-70 (which is around $480) or a bit more, so I cannot say I'm surprised. After all, if anything its features are upgraded over the DA17-70, only the focal lengh is different, and it is not a constant f4 lens. So I think in the end they balance out and should be priced roughly togeather (which is not to say that they aren't both a bit steep).

Accoring to dpreview, the new DA18-135 will be in a K-5 kit, but kit lens it is not.
I think it might be an extended version of the 17-70. the aperture would probably drop a lil around past 70mm, so for the price, it would be the more ideal choice over the 17-70 if the IQ performance is the same on identical focal lengths.

I share the same sentiment that it is part of the kit but far from being a mere kit lens. fingers crossed.
09-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I had, until recently, a Sigma 18-125 lens with very similar numbers to this lens. It was a good length and a good performer. I let it go because I wanted more length but I have to say that the WR feature is not without interest to me. I think this is a good addition to the lens options.
Yes I have that lens too, it is absolutely perfect as a walkaround lens (though IQ and speed could be improved, but it's an inexpensive lens so great value) and this 18-135 is therefore right on the money.

A very respected poster on another site said this DC is a new motor and has shown up in the new patents list. Supposedly faster than SDM. I'm sure Snostorm won't mind me copy / pasting his post :

QuoteQuote:
is supposed to have the next gen in-lens-motor focusing -- "DC". This is rumored to be a Pentax patented motor design which is essentially a ring motor that can rotate quickly and stop very quickly at at a pre determined position. That, and WR might make this lens something of interest. Apparently the focus ring doesn't rotate with the motor, and the design retains instant MF capability. It's rumored to have better MF feel, maybe because of a coupling to the outer ring of the motor adding mass to the manual focusing ring. Here's a link to the patent description:

ROTARY ACTUATOR
09-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #15
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,763
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I think it might be an extended version of the 17-70. the aperture would probably drop a lil around past 70mm, so for the price, it would be the more ideal choice over the 17-70 if the IQ performance is the same on identical focal lengths.

I share the same sentiment that it is part of the kit but far from being a mere kit lens. fingers crossed.
That would be nice, because the IQ of other lenses in the 18-135 range has been disappointing.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lens, pentax lens, slr lens, smc pentax-da 18-135mm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advice: Pentax SMCP-FA 135mm f/2.8 vs smc PENTAX DA Star 50-135mm F2.8 ED bladerunner0427 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 35 12-03-2010 07:17 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax-M SMC 135mm f/3.5, will trade evenly for SMC-M 75-150/4 wallyb Sold Items 3 06-22-2009 06:23 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax SMC-A 70-210mm/4 Macro, SMC-A 50mm/2, Takumar Bayonet 135mm/2.5 wallyb Sold Items 10 03-12-2009 12:46 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:08 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top