Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
Thanks guys

Mr. B - to me it isn't silly because I spent over 20 hours editing 37 portraits these past two weeks. I wanted to see if I could cut down the editing time, maybe it's just my workflow process...Thanks for your reply though.
Everything's cool I didn't mean to sound disrespectful

Hope my silly answer helped

09-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I thought about getting the best laptop I could afford, but in the end I bought a $600 Vaio. It has 4gb of RAM, a 320gb hard drive, and a newer i3 processor running on Windows 7. It works good with Lightroom (beta when I still had it), GIMP, Raw therapee (possible the slowest program on Eath), and Paint.net. It is SOOOOOOO much fast than my old Dell that was running 2gb of RAM, a 2.xx Ghz Intel processor (single core, but cant remember the type....it was good for 2005), and Windows XP Media Edition. I saved some money and have some left over for lenses or whatever.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by StephenMerola; 09-22-2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Typos on RAM amount (Vaio) and processor speed (Dell).
09-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I agree with the big hard drive tip. I have an external as well as the 320gb in the laptop.

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Hard drive is another important one--your computer makes use of your hard drive not only for permanent storage, but also for temporary items and 'virtual memory.' If your hard drive starts to get full, many tasks are going to take longer and you'll see a lot more hanging.

Make sure you have enough room on your hard drive for your photoshop 'scratch disk.' Upgrading to a larger hard drive helps speed things up because PS can cache things on your hard drive more easily.

If you have an external drive (also pretty cheap), you can also use that as a scratch disk.
09-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #19

Original Poster
Cool thanks everyone for your input!

09-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Marc - So you don't think the image quality, sharpness, contrast, etc. would be better on the 50-135mm than on my 28-75?
Might be; I don't know, as I don't own either lens. I'm saying the answer to that question is irrelevant, as a 50-135 won't improve the shots you take in the 28-50mm range, which is probably the majority of your shots.

So I wasn't making a particular recommendation; except to suggest that you think about this a bit differently.
09-23-2010, 11:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
Dell and HP are NOT as good as people think, they are more problematic, not as reliable. I know somebody's brother who works for HP, he told him that DO NOT buy a HP... True Story
sounds like a disgruntled employee.
09-24-2010, 12:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
for the similar price, you can get an i-7 processor Toshiba laptop at Best Buy, it's 16" screen.
Toshiba - Satellite Laptop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 16" Display / 4GB Memory / 640GB Hard Drive - Slate - A665-S6070

or this refurbished Asus Gaming laptop
Asus - Factory-Refurbished Laptop with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor - Black - G72GXRF-RBBX05

Dell and HP are NOT as good as people think, they are more problematic, not as reliable. I know somebody's brother who works for HP, he told him that DO NOT buy a HP... True Story
agree and disagree with this comment. Do not buy ANY mfg's CONSUMER GRADE SYSTEMS...stick to business grade systems but avoid Dell and Gateway, especially Gateway. The build quality is night and day different. Consumer grade systems, the crap you see in stores and on the "For the Home" part of the online stores for HP/Dell/Whoever....instead head over to the BUSINESS grade section. I am using nothing but laptops, been that way for well over a decade...my current systems are some 5yrs old HP nx9420 laptops with Win7 x64 on just C2D's at somewhere just over 2Ghz and I run PS CS3 as well as LR3 fine with the 256mb video card. But LR3 shows me I am at the max in terms of usefulness for what was supposed to be a hobbyist software package...sigh, Adobe makes everything better... yeah, right...

Consumer grade laptops are beta test devices not sold or built with the idea that they will ever be taking out of the home. Seriously just press on the case behind the display panel is it will flex...it should NOT flex.

I paid under $1000 each for these 5-yrs ago when they were new and bought them direct from HP on their Outlet store.

With Dell, I stopped using them when I bought the first of these nx9420's because even Dell's business builds went in the toilet. Not sure where they are now but back then it was their Latitude builds that were business systems.

But really the only company I would never buy from is Gateway because as far as I know they haven't built decent systems since about 1993.

Even the once pinnacle of laptop systems IBM (Lenovo today) or Toshiba have for crap consumer build systems. Business builds cost more but use magnesium alloy cases and stainless steel frames just like you want in your cameras...that alone saves 90% of the potential issues of the cheap plastic case failing within the first 2-4 years.

something for the OP to consider is how adept are you with hardware? I ask because today one can easily repair their own laptop thanks to eBay as a parts source. I have extra motherboards, video cards and whatever on hand in the event something breaks...it's cheaper than a warranty, unless you travel in which case you want a Next Day On-site 4-yr warranty which covers accidental damage. This is going to be a must have on any consumer grade system if you travel and an coin toss if you travel and your computer is important to your work. If so then spend the $300 for the extra 4-yrs coverage, it's cheaper than a new laptop even at the end of the lifespan...but these days I figure a system should work for my needs at least 6-years. Heck I am using some 15-yr old laptops for all sorts of things around the house. But they are kinda, well not the best thing anymore but in an emergency I can still do some work on any of them. Just not as fast.

Just some things I have picked up over the years that can be useful or not...

Last edited by brecklundin; 09-24-2010 at 01:02 AM.
09-24-2010, 01:09 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I've got an HP EliteBook 8730w for sale around that price, if you're interested. PM me for details.

C2D 2.53ghz, 4gb ram, 17.3" 1920x1200 (WUXGA) matte screen.
that would be a beautiful system for photo work....and it's a business build system....I went with WSXGA in mine laptops because, well, I don't see the teeny text on the WUXGA all that well anymore...hehehehe...my first try at WXUGA was on a, gasp, 15.4" laptop and WOW was that hard to live with!!

09-24-2010, 02:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Hey everyone,

I have a HP laptop that is about 3 years old and it works but sometimes hangs when I apply actions in Photoshop so I was wanting to upgrade my computer to this Dell FRYS.com*|*DELL , I also want to buy the DA* 50-135mm f2.8 lens for my K-X but can't buy both. What do you think the best investment would be...saving editing time or having a superior lens for shooting portraits. My current lens is a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 which is great but I keep hearing amazing things about the DA* 50-135mm F2.8. Thanks.
I cant comment about talking you on buying a new laptop since I don't know the specs of your current system.

for me, I just replaced a 2 year old laptop with a 2.10GHZ processor with a maxed out 4GB DD3 RAM and 256 VRAM graphics unit (maxed 512 MB) with an i7 1.6GHZ (OC'ed 2.6 GHZ) with 8 GB RAM and 1 GHZ graphics unit engine.

the 2 year old laptop have a significant slower loading time especially with a lot of images. but still capable and decently fast for post-processing and photo editing needs.

I usually buy a new every laptop every 3 years which is just enough time before new softwares catch up with the computer's age. this year was an exception simply due to more demanding multi-tasking operations.

so if you have the same specs as I have with the older system or slightly lower or faster, then you are good for about another year with it.

although the hang-up is a sign of wear of the electronic equipment. could be due to processor, memory card nearing their breakpoints. also the fan, heat generation, and capacitor leaks. if this gets worse, then its time to change your system, otherwise, buy the lens.
09-24-2010, 03:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member

something else to consider that can cause hang up on a laptop especially is a clogged exhaust fan. One needs to crack the case now and then and blow out the dust and stuff so the air flow keeps up. But something is causing the lockups and what not...if the OP has the hardware in the system I would suggest a version of Win7, especially if running Vista or XP, Win7 just runs much better.

BTW, pentaxor, I am running with about the same system as you upgraded and yeah, it's at the very edge of not really useful for the new version of LR. But it's not a time for me to spend on a laptop again...plus more apps are starting to do the multi-treaded thing for the first time...but dang I am just tired of the upgrade treadmill.
09-24-2010, 04:54 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
something else to consider that can cause hang up on a laptop especially is a clogged exhaust fan. One needs to crack the case now and then and blow out the dust and stuff so the air flow keeps up. But something is causing the lockups and what not...if the OP has the hardware in the system I would suggest a version of Win7, especially if running Vista or XP, Win7 just runs much better.

BTW, pentaxor, I am running with about the same system as you upgraded and yeah, it's at the very edge of not really useful for the new version of LR. But it's not a time for me to spend on a laptop again...plus more apps are starting to do the multi-treaded thing for the first time...but dang I am just tired of the upgrade treadmill.
believe me, it can get worse. besides, it is the only way that the computer industry can earn bigtime. let's just say that software companies and computer manufacturers are in cahoots with each other. it is costly for the consumer.

there is also now a fine line whether to upgrade or update your software. if it's really a necessity, but most often it is nowadays because it's better and makes life easier in the expense of spending more. the price for convenience or making life easier. but atleast, it is a 2 1/2 to 3 year upgrade and not annually. so there's enough time for you to save for the next workstation.

as far as annual upgrades are concerned, you have options such as RAM upgrades (which aren't cheap as well) or you could OC you current system to run berserk at the cost of stability and longevity. but since you'll replace it after 3 years, then OC'ing your system doesn't sound so bad, as long as you know exactly what you are doing.
09-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #27

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree that something needs to be done about the workflow, because that is really too long to spend. Do you know a reputable pc person? I personally wouldn't call a rent-a-geek place, unless it was a last resort. Dh is one of the best in his business, and is constantly going behind those guys to clean up after and fix what they have broken. (No offense if any of you are in IT and employed by one of those companies. Perhaps you are better at what you do than the other guys.)

As far as the lens, Marc expressed it best, I think.