Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alinla Quote
I have a gallery full of 10-20 images here:

sigma_1020 Photo Gallery by alinla at pbase.com

I recently learned how to correct for the distortion in PS so most of the images in the gallery are uncorrected.
thats enough for me

my shopping list right now is thenew 50-135 and the sig10-20

then ill need a fast midrange and tele.....8)

and suggestions?

im thinking 16-50 (of course) and....i dont know about the tele

09-05-2007, 02:35 PM   #17
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I recently learned how to correct for the distortion in PS so most of the images in the gallery are uncorrected.
very nice pics on that page, really really nice...
I think I'll buy this lens, I've seen lots of nice pics, and I think it's kind of lens I'm looking for...
09-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Was just going to post a question about this lens and saw this thread. Thought that this lens might suit my needs; the photos posted and Alinla's gallery pretty much answer my questions. The only question that remains, is whether or not any of you that own this lens ran into QC problems and had to go through more than one in order to get a good one?
09-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
Was just going to post a question about this lens and saw this thread. Thought that this lens might suit my needs; the photos posted and Alinla's gallery pretty much answer my questions. The only question that remains, is whether or not any of you that own this lens ran into QC problems and had to go through more than one in order to get a good one?

Not with the 10-20, but on my 70-200 F2.8 APO the bayonette for the tulip hood was canted 45 degrees.

Store exchanged it with no questions asked

09-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Ivoire

I'm purchasing one of these Sigma 10-20mm lenses in the next week or so. Unfortunately a friend of mine bought this lens for his C****n 30D a couple of months ago and has been constantly banging on about the excellent image quality he's getting.......irritatingly, he may have a point ! Naturally I am slightly concerned, having read about quality control issues surrounding 'decentering' and 'soft' images issues in some early examples, so I shall certainly ensure that I get hold of a 'good' one ! I hope you'll forgive me, but I've taken the liberty of briefly 'improving' (i.e. straightening up) your first image........so comments please ?

Best regards
Richard
No problem, Richard. These were the quick and dirty images. I have deleted them as they are considered private property and not for the public use/sale. since they were very low rez i don't worry too much about the upload, but i don't want to upset a client in the event that they happened to see them online. I am very satisfied with the images produced with this lens and the k10d. As a result of the purchase I am doing more 'part time work' (i am semi-retired i.e. no more full time employment) and the camera and numerous lenses are now paid for within 8 months of purchase. very nice to have a hobby that pays for itself for a change.
09-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Hi Ivoire

If you'd prefer that I delete the 'altered' images of the originals which you posted, simply let me know and of course I'll do so immediately. Incidentally, am I correct in understanding that you used a tripod for both of the interior images, or were either of them perhaps hand-held ? They were very interesting nonetheless and I can't wait to get my 'feverish little hands' on a 10-20mm Sigma super-wide......it looks like I'm going to have hours of endless fun with my new toy !!!

In reply to "MJB Digital"....I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure. I simply copied the images and then pp'd them slightly through Paint Shop Pro v 8.10. Incidentally, I'm still waiting for Corel to finally 'pull their finger out', in order that I can upgrade to a version of PSP XI which is capable of processing my Pentax K10D RAW files !! Any news on that score yet ?

Best regards
Richard

P.S. You will find a 'shed-load' of Sigma 10-20mm user reviews at:

FM Reviews - 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM

Last edited by Confused; 09-05-2007 at 04:38 PM.
09-05-2007, 04:49 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Love the Sigma 10-20mm!
EDIT: Oops! Below was shot with my Tamron 28-75mm @31mm

It can be tricky though, so watch your composition!

Oh, and make sure your feet don't end up in the frame!

Last edited by egordon99; 09-05-2007 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Oops, one was the Tamron 28-75mm :)
09-05-2007, 05:05 PM   #23
Inactive Account

In reply to "egordon99"

I particularly like the second image of the multiple cannons........but I regard all these images as 'torture' on an unbearable scale. I implore you all, PLEASE don't include any more photos on this post until I've got my very own Sigma 10-20mm to play with ! It's utter hell...........well, you 'get the picture' and so could I, if only I'd got this lens in my kit-bag !!.......the frustration is simply driving me totally 'nuts'....

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 09-05-2007 at 05:15 PM.
09-05-2007, 05:06 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Liked your pics and you have such a variety that it gives a great overall feel for what can be done with this lens. I think it will be excellent for my upcoming vacation. thanks, mike
09-05-2007, 05:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Love the Sigma 10-20mm!
EDIT: Oops! Below was shot with my Tamron 28-75mm @31mm

It can be tricky though, so watch your composition!

Oh, and make sure your feet don't end up in the frame!

very nice pics, again the quality comes out. thanks for sharing these. mike
09-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Incidentally, I'm still waiting for Corel to finally 'pull their finger out', in order that I can upgrade to a version of PSP XI which is capable of processing my Pentax K10D RAW files !! Any news on that score yet ?
nothing I have heard yet. I went through the process of sending them sample photo's etc, at their request, and when I inquired about the status, they responded that giving tem sample files etc. was no gaurantee they would correct the problem.

I've been waiting since february
09-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Hi Lowell

So it seems I'll have to keep nagging Corel until I get a satisfactory response ! Tempus Fugit etc

Best regards
Richard
09-05-2007, 11:56 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
very nice pics on that page, really really nice...
I think I'll buy this lens, I've seen lots of nice pics, and I think it's kind of lens I'm looking for...
Thanks.

I always suggest getting a Grad ND filter with this lens. It does wonders to balance the light from the sky with the darker areas on the ground. Especially with how much sky you can get in a 10mm image.
09-06-2007, 12:00 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
I was good on the 10-20. I got it early on and read a Nikon guy got one that was off center. I checked mine by shooting a newspaper and comparing the sharpness of the print in the corners & sides. No focus issues either.

I did have a problem with my EX 24mm 1.8 though. Backfocused (a little bit) so it went back to B&H. 2nd one worked great out of the box and I couldn't be happier. I think it was more likely to happen with a wider aperture lens than a slow lens.
09-06-2007, 12:03 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Liked your pics and you have such a variety that it gives a great overall feel for what can be done with this lens. I think it will be excellent for my upcoming vacation. thanks, mike
You're welcome.

Have fun on vacation. And share some photos afterwards.