Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2007, 06:58 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I won't be getting the Zeiss 85. After the Photozone review of the ZF version I lost all interest and went after the Pentax FA* 85. After spending some time with a friend's ZF 85, the Pentax, it turns out, is a much better lens. The ZF isn't as bad as the copy Klaus reviewed, but the FA* is just something out of this world.
Sean, how does the FA* 85 compare to FA 77 limited, if you have ever used one? I have the FA 77 but have always been tempted by the FA*85. I have read all the reviews praising this lens...just wondering about any head to head comparisons, especially for portraits. Thanks for any insight. Hope all is well. Apologies for taking this thread off topic.

09-09-2007, 07:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
Sean, how does the FA* 85 compare to FA 77 limited, if you have ever used one? I have the FA 77 but have always been tempted by the FA*85. I have read all the reviews praising this lens...just wondering about any head to head comparisons, especially for portraits. Thanks for any insight. Hope all is well. Apologies for taking this thread off topic.
The FA* 85/1.4 is better in sharpness, bokeh, purple fringing, CA, (lens) speed, (focusing) speed, and build quality. The 77/1.8 Limited is (much) smaller and lighter.

Once I wrap up my Normal Lens Shootout, I plan to do a small-and-quick comparison between:
  • Pentax 77/1.8 Limited
  • Pentax FA* 85/1.4
  • S-M-C Takumar 85/1.8
  • Super-Takumar 85/1.9
  • Helios-40 85/1.5
  • Jupiter-9 85/2
  • Minolta 85/1.4 G
  • Zeiss ZF 85/1.4

My only problem is finding a body that will take all those lenses, otherwise I'll have to shoot it with at least two different camera bodies.

Until then you'll just have to take my word for it!
09-09-2007, 08:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
The FA* 85/1.4 is better in sharpness, bokeh, purple fringing, CA, (lens) speed, (focusing) speed, and build quality. The 77/1.8 Limited is (much) smaller and lighter.

Once I wrap up my Normal Lens Shootout, I plan to do a small-and-quick comparison between:
  • Pentax 77/1.8 Limited
  • Pentax FA* 85/1.4
  • S-M-C Takumar 85/1.8
  • Super-Takumar 85/1.9
  • Helios-40 85/1.5
  • Jupiter-9 85/2
  • Minolta 85/1.4 G
  • Zeiss ZF 85/1.4

My only problem is finding a body that will take all those lenses, otherwise I'll have to shoot it with at least two different camera bodies.

Until then you'll just have to take my word for it!
What about an Olympus? Of course at $100 plus per adapter it could get a bit pricey.....