Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zeiss ZK Lenses Showing Up...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I stumbled upon an interesting eBay auction today, for the Zeiss ZK 85/1.4 lens. Does anyone here have this already? Is there much interest in it? I'm surprised at how quickly they've come out.

Here is a link. (I'm in no way affiliated, nor do I condone the auction itself.)
Zeiss 85mm Lens on eBay

09-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

yes! im SO f*ing interested in it.,

unfortunately i cant get it yet. i dont own enough fast glass so i can only spring for a fast zoom and im going for the 50-135.
but zeiss is some of the best glass in the world

if you are thinking about it GET IT
09-04-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
i don't think i've seen this one before. being a Zeiss, i'm sure it's quite good but way out of the budget for me being at 1000usd alreadiy
09-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i am on the road to not wanting any lens that is cheap

1000 seems to be a number that some very good lenses are priced at. i know, there are plenty from 200-800

but i would buy this for 1000 just like i am going to get the 50-135

the ONLY reason im not getting the zeiss first is because with the pentax i will have the versatility of the zooming....

but
im hoping in about one year ill have that lens. but i need to put it after a couple of fast zooms first

i think it is third on my list

09-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

by the way, ive been drooling over the zeiss K lineup since the press release. it is a really good sign that ZEISS GLASS will be available for pentax!!!!!!!

what next? leica?

hope so
09-04-2007, 09:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

here is a link to the zeiss site

you might have to navigate to the cine/photography lenses....but if you are interested it will be easy

Welcome to Carl Zeiss Camera and Cine Lenses
09-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The Zeiss website on line store shows the entire Pentax mount lineup in stock.

09-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

i might become a gigilo if thats what it takes to get one
09-05-2007, 03:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

That Japanese store tends to sell lenses a lot more expensive than the market values.

I would rather wait and see for the time being.
09-05-2007, 03:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You're right but they seem to stock alot of the rarities that you'd spend ages on ebay/keh/wherever tracking down...and it's buy-it-now.

So how are current 85mm 1.4 prices at the moment? It seems that these lenses run such a high premium this days that seeing a $1K US price tag doesn't quite blow my mind away anymore.
09-05-2007, 03:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Given the lumiscape review giving KZ 85mm 1.4 a thumb down comparing to pentax A* 85 f1.4 or Canon 85mm f1.2L, the price could be lower ... Then that could be a bad copy as well

I would wait til the in-flux of new batch of KZ 85mms to be released simultaneously into the market especially on internet - the price could be cheaper or competitive.

The main dilemma is Da* 50-135 f2.8 is quite light to carry, producing really pleasant bokeh and images in the right hands. KZ 85mm f1.4 or A* 85 f1.4 do not seem to have that much advantage over the zoom as manually focusing 85mm focal length with f1.4 or f1.8 is rather difficult. With protraits, the eyes could be in focus but not for the ears or tip of the nose etc.

09-05-2007, 05:49 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Sean, if you get one of the Zeiss's, I want to check it out! Still owe you lunch in Phoenixville, Molly McGuire's (sp?) is supposed to be open this month, so if you're tired of Iron Hill
09-05-2007, 08:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Sean, if you get one of the Zeiss's, I want to check it out! Still owe you lunch in Phoenixville, Molly McGuire's (sp?) is supposed to be open this month, so if you're tired of Iron Hill
I won't be getting the Zeiss 85. After the Photozone review of the ZF version I lost all interest and went after the Pentax FA* 85. After spending some time with a friend's ZF 85, the Pentax, it turns out, is a much better lens. The ZF isn't as bad as the copy Klaus reviewed, but the FA* is just something out of this world.

The Zeiss 25mm looks interesting, as do the Zeiss macro lenses. They're a bit pricey though, and since I also own several quite decent 24mm lenses I'm not sure there is room for the 25mm in my bag. The FA* 24/2 is fast and sharp but suffers from some CA (not anything to cry about though) and the A 24/2.8 is also tack sharp with no CA at all. (The S-M-C Takumar 24/3.5 is a stellar performer for neither sharpness nor CA, but is reasonable at f/5.6 and smaller.)

I'm also still on the fence as to the Voigtlander 125mm macro, it certainly seems to be a bargain compared to the Zeiss prices.

I do hope the Zeiss line sells well, perhaps it will nudge Pentax to understand that there is a market for high-end glass even without a 'pro' camera.
09-09-2007, 01:47 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I think photozone have updated the review, praise and performance through the roof -

Zeiss Planar ZF T* 85mm f/1.4 - Photozone Review / Test Report
09-09-2007, 03:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
I think photozone have updated the review, praise and performance through the roof -

Zeiss Planar ZF T* 85mm f/1.4 - Photozone Review / Test Report
No, this is the same review that I mentioned earlier. It is indeed a sharp lens, but some of his sample pictures are the worst that I've seen from any lens. Especially when talking about 'portrait' lenses, sharpness takes a back seat IMO to other rendering qualities - and this is where I feel the Minolta, Pentax, and indeed even the Zeiss ZA 85mm lenses are much better.

(To clarify - the Zeiss ZA 85/1.4 for Minolta/Sony mount is a completely different lens design from the ZF/ZK one. You can find a review of that lens here.)