Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #1

Help! m42 adapter stuck on camera

I've got a photo shoot for school in like an hour and I can't get the m42 adapter off my K-x.

I attached the adapter (Pentax brand, not 3rd party) to the Super Takumar 50mm and then when I went to take the lens off, the lens simple started unscrewing from the adapter. I am unable to get the adapter off and don't want to force anything.

Please help if you know how to fix this!

Thanks!!

09-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Unlock with your special tool just like shown here:
Removing an M42 adapter from a Pentax | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

After this, you could consider to remove the locking mechanism from your adapter
completely. I did so with mine and find it much easier to use, the lens won't fall
off because the lock is missing.

Stefan
09-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You don't need to remove the locking spring from the genuine Pentax adapter. The lens is supposed to unscrew from the adapter. Use your fingernail, or a pencil/pen, to depress the locking spring (slot next to mounting mark on camera). Use another fingernail to grip the other slot and turn counter-clockwise. When it stops turning lift the adapter out.
09-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What Boriscleto said - you don't even need the tool with the Pentax original. Just depress that spring and use your fingers to twist just a fraction then PULL it up - don't try to twist it off ! After reading the LBA thread I have had my Tak 50 / 1.4 on there for an hour and only just now taken it off (and the adaptor).

09-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
Couple more questions about M42 adapter and Super Tak

I understand now that the adapter is not permanently attached to the screwmount lens, that you've got to unscrew the lens and then remove the adapter from the body. I thought this was the complaint about the off-brand models but I guess those are even worse.

Couple more questions after my first day using the lens. I've heard complaints about the yellowing of the lens and its impact on images. I'm not particular good with color but I did notice some strange coloring on a few of the pics. I'm guessing it might be sunspots or something, because as you can see it's not on every pic, but if you're reading this what's your take on whether my lens should be color-corrected? It appears yellow to the eye, the lens itself, that is, but the images seem OK.

I forgot the terminology on this next one, but to focus at infinity you need the lens to be the correct distance from something, exactly what I forget, but I do remember that it's a reason you should get the official adapter, not the offbrand. My only question is, how do you know when to stop screwing the lens on. As you screw it on and off, it would have a (perhaps) negligible effect on that distance, but regardless when the lens "feels" appropriately tight, the middle/top of focal-depth chart is not flush with the middle/top of the lens. It's off to the side, and to have it centered it'd either be too tight or too loose. Is this making sense? Does it matter where exactly the lens ends up (with regard to its position on the clock, so to speak) or am I overthinking things? I just want to make sure I can focus to infinity properly. If I focus to infinity now, it's a bit blurry, but when I pull back the tiniest bit, it's in focus. I've read this is normal but I've also read it's not normal. What's the truth, Internet Pentax Gurus?

Thank you all so much for your help. When I get the decent pictures from today's shoot uploaded, perhaps I'll post a few that aren't so blah. Thanks again.

Last edited by ADHWJC; 11-02-2010 at 09:59 AM.
09-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Another thing that helps me get the adapter off, is to push down on the lens release button on the camera while using your finger nail to turn it a little and then lift it up and off.

When my lenses are screwed on firmly, they are not centered, which from what I have read here, is normal.

I screw the adapter on the lens first, then attach it to the camera because I find it easier to seat on the camera that way. Just be careful to not screw it on backwards, it was really hard to get off!
09-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DEWEY Quote
Couple more questions after my first day using the lens. I've heard complaints about the yellowing of the lens and its impact on images. I'm not particular good with color but I did notice some strange coloring on a few of the pics. I'm guessing it might be sunspots or something, because as you can see it's not on every pic, but if you're reading this what's your take on whether my lens should be color-corrected? It appears yellow to the eye, the lens itself, that is, but the images seem OK.
Flare from shooting into the sun.

I forgot the terminology on this next one, but to focus at infinity you need the lens to be the correct distance from something, exactly what I forget, but I do remember that it's a reason you should get the official adapter, not the offbrand. My only question is, how do you know when to stop screwing the lens on. As you screw it on and off, it would have a (perhaps) negligible effect on that distance, but regardless when the lens "feels" appropriately tight, the middle/top of focal-depth chart is not flush with the middle/top of the lens. It's off to the side, and to have it centered it'd either be too tight or too loose. Is this making sense? Does it matter where exactly the lens ends up (with regard to its position on the clock, so to speak) or am I overthinking things?
Register distance. If you're using the original pentax adaptor, just screw in the lens till its tight. Not overly tight, else u'd have problems getting it off. the alignment of the lens on your DSLR does not affect infinity focus.

I just want to make sure I can focus to infinity properly. If I focus to infinity now, it's a bit blurry, but when I pull back the tiniest bit, it's in focus. I've read this is normal but I've also read it's not normal.
As you stated, you can focus to infinity. It is not uncommon to find lenses that are built to focus slightly beyond infinity
09-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to dramatically reduce the amount of lens flare from the sun and increase contrast, buy or make a lens hood. 49mm diameter screw on lens hoods are fairly inexpensive. Another trick is to keep strong point light sources (like the sun) out of the picture. You should be able to see strong flaring through the viewfinder as you compose a photo.

09-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you. I bought a B+W filter and lens hood yesterday, arriving tomorrow via Amazon.