Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Senior Member
climit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kalamata
Posts: 224
In need of new low lights

Wouldn't it be nice if Pentax would produce some specialized low light zooms?
They needn't reach f/8. Not even f/5.6. A working range of f/1.4 - f/4 would be just fine. Optimized for wide open. I would like:

1. 24-36mm f/1.4
2. 80-120mm f/1.4

Within such limited ranges, they could even be cheap.

09-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member
AndrewG NY's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chappaqua, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 679
I'm assuming these aren't feasible, at least not at sizes/weights/prices that people are willing to bear. Notice that none of the fast zooms are faster than f/2.8 except for a couple of Olympus four-thirds designs -- 14-35/2 and 35-100/2. The 35-100/2 is even heavier than a Nikkor 70-200/2.8 (FX/135 film coverage), and the 14-35 is comparable to a Nikkor 24-70/2.8. As for Pentax, they don't even make any f/1.4 primes in those ranges.
09-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 523
Haha, cheaper than prime in same range at same aperture of F1.4?
- Zoom at same aperture --> larger (and more expensive) and/or worse IQ
09-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 523
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I'm assuming these aren't feasible, at least not at sizes/weights/prices that people are willing to bear. Notice that none of the fast zooms are faster than f/2.8 except for a couple of Olympus four-thirds designs -- 14-35/2 and 35-100/2. The 35-100/2 is even heavier than a Nikkor 70-200/2.8 (FX/135 film coverage), and the 14-35 is comparable to a Nikkor 24-70/2.8. As for Pentax, they don't even make any f/1.4 primes in those ranges.
Yeah indeed, why doesn't Pentax make a full frame digital camera with fixed 10-500 mm F1.4 zoom lens as small as that new Fuji with OVF that corrects for parallax?
- If below 1000 USD then it would be a big hit!!!
- But of course only if it had full HD, external stereo microphone connection and is weather resistant...

09-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,134
You are out of your mind. What you are asking for would cost about the same as a new Ford Pick-up and the truck is what you would need to carry the things.
If this could be realistically built, someone would have done it by now.
Go out and take some pictures and settle your mind a bit.
09-22-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian
hcc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,526
It seems that the thread develops on zoom versus prime lenses. Mechanically, it is very difficult and expensive to build large aperture zoom and the resulting lens is usualy heavy. Let me ask then:
What is wrong with a fast prime lens ?

The main advantages are a fast prime are:
+ reasonable price (as low as $50 for 2nd hand)
+ little lens distortion
+ excellent IQ for the better fast primes
+ excellent low light capabilities (eg f1.4)

The advantages of a large apture zoom would be :
+ convenience (focal length range)
but the inconvenient would be:
- price
- weight

Lastly, do not get me wrong. I love the convenience of a good zoom lens: the 18-250mm is my prefered choice. But I learned to use a fast prime (MF) and I love it...
09-22-2010, 01:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 523
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Lastly, do not get me wrong. I love the convenience of a good zoom lens: the 18-250mm is my prefered choice. But I learned to use a fast prime (MF) and I love it...
You love more than one?
09-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Outside of Philly
Posts: 1,564
QuoteOriginally posted by climit Quote
Wouldn't it be nice if Pentax would produce some specialized low light zooms?
They needn't reach f/8. Not even f/5.6. A working range of f/1.4 - f/4 would be just fine. Optimized for wide open. I would like:

1. 24-36mm f/1.4
2. 80-120mm f/1.4

Within such limited ranges, they could even be cheap.
A 120mm lens @ f/1.4 would require a 85mm front element. That's pretty big. That's not even taking into account making it zoom from 80 to 120mm.

It would be nice if Pentax discovered the laws of physics/optics were wrong

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
f/1.4, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sports Under the lights MaKettle Post Your Photos! 8 12-23-2009 12:32 PM
Low light shooting capabilities GX20 at low ISO cabstar Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 12-04-2008 11:01 AM
Lights CagomoC Post Your Photos! 1 06-07-2008 04:09 AM
Da Lens Prices ! Low Low Low 247nino Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 41 04-14-2008 11:55 AM
Low Light - Low Experience - Fix $$$ ? daacon Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 35 04-26-2007 07:52 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:45 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top