Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #16
DMH
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Long story but ended up with Pentax DA 50 -200

A strange twist to it all. When it seems things are too good to be true, they usually are.

It turns out that the lens I was going to buy is a rare 62mm filter ring version of the 4th edition made by Conina, not the 3rd edition made by Komine. No misrepresentation by the seller, just the wrong questions asked. It's supposedly quite rare and very little has been written on it except to mention that they do exist.

So, I bit the bullet and bought the Pentax 50 - 200 f/4-5.6 ED I'd been eyeing and have been quite pleased with it so far. I'm really liking how compact the new lens is.

09-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well From what I've read and heard regarding that version, you made the right move. You'd have been better off getting an SMC 70-210A series instead if that were the only other choice. The DA is a fine lens and to some it is not up to par but for most it's great and for the money can't be beat. One of the guys here recently posted images of a hummingbird in flight that were very close to his others using an FA*200mm f2.8 and that lens is worth more than 10 times the price when it was new.

The size is a real plus as well since it is small enough to fit in the leg pocket of my pants and not be a bother.
10-24-2007, 06:57 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Hello everyone, I am a new member here.

Yes, I am aware of this page having been devoted for the question "Vivitar Series I or Pentax DA 50-200" but I would take the liberty of asking here the following:

some Vivitar Series 1 (Kiron, Tokina or Komine) or Pentax A 70-210 F4?

As far as I know, all of these lenses are very highly rated on Pentax digital cameras, but I should like to know which one of them is more worth buying? I suppose the Pentax but I am looking forward to becoming aquainted with other opinions!

Thanks!

and I am sorry if my english was bad... (it may be a special dialect spoken only in Eastern-Europe...)

Last edited by Buksikoma; 10-30-2007 at 11:35 AM.
10-24-2007, 07:01 AM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
From the lenses you listed the Pentax or the Komine versions would be the best to hunt for. The Komine version is most likely one of the sharpest lenses out there and is faster than the Pentax but both are good and the Pentax is usually about half the price on today's market.

Just and FYI. When you have a question about something it might be a good idea to post your own thread in the correct sub category so more people will see what your question is.

10-24-2007, 07:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote

Just a note as to value. I sold both my Vivitar Series 1's this year. The "A" version (3) sold for $212.70 USD and the "M" version (1) sold for $47.00. optically both lenses are very similar but it would seem that few buyers will pay much for a non A lens these days unless it is something super special.
Peter,
You are so right. Even though the "A" versions of both Vivitar and Pentax are easier to use and record the aperture setting, the real buys are in the "M" series if you can live with their shortcomings. If Pentax ever comes out with a FF sensor I wouldn't be surprised to see prices go up significantly. Even without the FF, the number of K series camera that have been sold in the last year will probably drive price even higher.

I doubt if most of us could see the difference between the Vivitar series 1 or any of the Pentax 70-210 lenses that are available. All heavy but very good performers.

Regards,

Ken
10-24-2007, 08:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Great, now I feel inadequate for having the 2nd Gen Vivitar S1 70-210/3.5 (tokina)... lol.
10-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I take this review with a pinch of salt. He has not owned any of the later versions and yet come to the amazing conclusion that they aren't as good as the earlier versions (para 2). Having once owned a Ver 4, he is definitely incorrect in his assertion. They are sharp. Unfortunately because this is posted in cyberspace, lots of people take what he say as being correct.
10-25-2007, 06:40 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Peter,
You are so right. Even though the "A" versions of both Vivitar and Pentax are easier to use and record the aperture setting, the real buys are in the "M" series if you can live with their shortcomings. If Pentax ever comes out with a FF sensor I wouldn't be surprised to see prices go up significantly. Even without the FF, the number of K series camera that have been sold in the last year will probably drive price even higher.

I doubt if most of us could see the difference between the Vivitar series 1 or any of the Pentax 70-210 lenses that are available. All heavy but very good performers.

Regards,

Ken
I have both the M & A series zooms and both are really good. I use the A because it is easier, but I will not be selling the M as it is too good for the money I would get.

10-25-2007, 08:04 AM   #24
roy
Inactive Account

another very good lens that is looked over so much is the M80-200/4.5.
i thought this one was excellent. there are 2 versions tho and the first is the one you want. as far as i can tell it's identical to the older K model.
i've also seen a number of great images from the cosina model. cosina makes lenses for MANY manufacturers to their specs. they make the Zeiss line for Zeiss that's world reknowned for their build and IQ.. i've tried a number of lenses in this range including a f2.8 model and i keep coming back to the A70-210/4....