Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Opinion on Chinon/Chinar manual lenses

I've decided to jump headfirst into some manual primes so might as well begin with some oldies before investing the millions on new glass. Local guy is getting rid of these as they were a gift from the Ex years ago .

Chinon f1.9 50mm lens close focus to 45cm
Vivitar f2.8 28mm close focus to 50cm
Chinar f2.8 135mm lens

I contacted him about the 28mm and he's selling it to me for $20. I figure if I offer him 50-60 I might get all three.

Any opinions on these? I'm not familiar with Chinon/Chinar's performance. Are they worth bothering with?

I'll be meeting with him later today or tomorrow to examine the lens.

As always input is appreciated!

09-05-2007, 02:19 PM   #2

Don´t know about the lenses you are referring to, but as you´re mentioning Chinon stuff, there´s highly regarded 55mm f1.7 Chinon with M42 mount, if you could live with manual stop down metering.

I friend of mine is using one of these on his 350D and it´s really a good lens. Dirt cheap too...

// Mats
09-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
i have a friend that swears by the 50mm, the viv rates very good, most all 135mm are good. kind of like macro lenses.
09-05-2007, 10:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am picking up the Viv 28mm tomorrow morning on my way to work.

Had I not just bought an apparently unused Sears 135mm f/2.8 w/ macro and an SMC-M 50mm f/2 the day before I found this guy's post, I would have been able to take all three lenses plus a Pentax PZ camera for less than what I paid for those two.

09-06-2007, 08:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Picked up the Vivitar 28mm and all I can say is wow. It's in excellent condition and smooth yet firm, like farm fresh butter

I slapped it on the K10d, adjusted the settings to allow manual aperture (allow other than A), and took a few quick test shots. It feels incredible to have a "real" metal lens on it (just like with my Canon AE-1P).

I told the guy I would pass the information on, to sell the other equipment, so I will post it in the for sale forum.
05-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #6

UMMMM, what is the serial number on you Viv?

I'm surprised you didnt go with the Chinon. Chinon glass performs extremley well, even the Chinar glass is very good.

Look at Manualfocuseslenses.com. You'll see side by side comparisons there. If not, I'm sure others will post samples for you.

In my experience the Chinon is a better lens than the Viv, unless your lucky to own a Vivtar (Komine) lens. Serial number starting with 28. The Komines are very nice.

My Tokina made Viv's are pretty standard in performance. I own 28mm and a 200mm. I like them, but my collection of Chinons and Chinars out perform them in every aspect.
05-29-2009, 06:19 AM   #7

Hi Spiralciti.

Yes. I agree with you. Chionon lenses are a very good ones, and better than the vivitar.

But I have a vivitar - tokina made - pre set 85/1,8 and it's marvelous (although not a komine).

Rino.

06-03-2009, 02:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Opinion on Chinon/Chinar manual lenses

I have the Chinon 50 f1:1.9 and I have to say I love it. Build wise they are pretty strong, my one is beaten up quite a bit but still takes a nice image. Focussing is not as tactile and smooth as say a K series or Super Takumar but workable nontheless.

I am looking around for a few more of these Chinons, I think they are amongst the bet bang for buck you will get on the K mount!

An example:
Evening at my local woods, wide open at f1.9

08-19-2009, 05:34 AM   #9

I bought a Chinon 135 mm PK mount someone known if this lens are some problem with pentax digital body?