Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.

This was just one example. I used iso 800 in an attempt to isolate wether the problem was the lens focusing, my movement, or some other camera problem. I was trying to eleminate any handheld jitter effects. But the results are the same no matter what ISO or automation I select. I think you have a good suggestion about zooming back a bit. I did not purchase this lens for taking bird pictures, simply got inot it for my sis and the focal length is really too short for that. Possibly I should try a 300 mm lens and see what kind of results I get.

None the less, I do feel that the results from this lens at infinity are kinda crummy, at least at the 200mm focal length.

I think that holding the camera still is something I do well. Using a monopod might work, but even when setting my camera on the old Ford PU the results are very similar.

Anyway, I do appreciate all the help. I was approaching this issue from the angle of what might be wrong with my lens/camera. I have taken pictures with my sis's Canon XTI and 70 300 zoom Canon is zoom lens under similar conditions and they seem very much sharper. But that is comparing a $1800 camera to a $650 camera.

It is a case of the bumbling leading the blind. She has retired and started a hobby of bird photography. I have been a rank amateur for too many years and am trying to help out. Together we have improved our pictures, was just wondering why my Pentax is sooooo far behind her Canon in image sharpness. She uses Photoshop and usually just accepts the default automatic enhancement, I use a iMac (no laughs please) and use SilkyPix and iPhoto.

None the less, we are accomplishing the job of cataloging the birds in the area, even recorded a few surprises! Photograph is fun, even for rank amateurs.

ALL KINDLY CONSIDER MY QUESTION CLOSED...

Last edited by Justed; 09-06-2007 at 09:32 PM. Reason: close out topic
09-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pixel peeping is the act of spending far too much time in front of the PC finding fault with photos at the pixel level and via pseudo math and shaky analysis and not enough time out and about taking photos.

Warped is used as in flawed, incomplete, incorrect--but it's not a general value or character judgment, it's just specific to this ONE issue. Of course, it's blunt in my familiar fashion.

But your situation is not hard to understand.

You can buy a $5.00 hammer at WalMart, a $25.00 hammer from the Craftsman store in Sears or a full-on $500.00 Nailgun from somebody like Porter-Cable. All do the same job--they drive nails. The first one is good for a few oddjobs around the house, the second finds it's way into the home handyman/do-it-yourselfers tool belt and will serve to raise a new shed, add an addition to the house or maybe get carried to a real jobsite; the third is used in new building developments where dwelings are manufacturored.

Your lens is like the first hammer. Maybe the second in some situations. It's still very usable, but your needs may frequently exceed its abilities. I take great exception to anyone claiming it's flawed or bad--something about a craftsman blaming his tools comes to mind. It's perfectly suited to snapshots, occasional art, or in a pinch where any image will suffice--and that's it's target intent!

You can extend it's abilities some with any or all of the aforementioned techniques, but it is what it is: a commercial grade lens; made for the masses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Justed Quote
Do not understand pixel-popping or badly warped sense of reality...I wasn't high or drunk when I took those shots...hung over maybee...but not drunk!