Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member
hockmasm's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 354
Just got my Tamron 70-300mm Lens!

this is an early birthday present...so i only was able to test it out to make sure it wasn't broken.

took 3 shots and checked them in photoshop. Seems like a good lens. I do see the Purple Fringe that people complain on this lens - chromatic aberration, however I found an easy Photoshop trick to remove it!

Cant wait to really use this lens in about a month when i 'officially' get it on my bday.

Anyone else have this lens?

09-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member
chalion's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Photos: Albums
Posts: 628
It was my first AF zoom. I still have it, but now use the Pentax DA 55-300mm in it's stead. It's first use was taking pictures of bald Eagles roosting near where I worked. Alot of purple fringing at 300mm, but stopped down and on a tripod helped some.

I mostly use it now on my K200D in macro mode with a +1 lense filter for photographing circuit runs on telecommunications equipment.

I hope you enjoy the lens. It is a good quality lens for the price.
09-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
In my experience, and for the money, it's also one of the fastest Focusing lenses I've ever had, especially in zoom lenses. This was done with a K10d.



09-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
It is definitely a great lens for the price (probably the best <$200). The images are very sharp, have great contrast, color rendering, comes with a hood, has a 1:2 macro feature, and is <$175 brand new (or something like that). All in all, one of the "best bang for your buck" lenses out there.

**So what trick in Photoshop are you talking about to get rid of the CA? I use the clarity tool because I find that the lens correction/CA does nothing for CA in my photos (maybe I don't know how to use it). Either way I find that the clarity tool helps a little bit but find it impossible to completely remove it.

09-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
What I do is play with the WB, Exposure, the clarity, and the PF/CA corrections in ACR.. The WB is the big one that does the most but they are all used, in the order I list them.





You can browse the peeper versions here

Show Tamron - a set on Flickr

It comes at a slight loss in colors sometimes but it still generates a nice image. I think so anyway.

09-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,695
It's a good start.
Reviews on this forum's lens review database have been positive and expected for this consumer telezoom.
Enjoy it.
09-23-2010, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member
hockmasm's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 354
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
It is definitely a great lens for the price (probably the best <$200). The images are very sharp, have great contrast, color rendering, comes with a hood, has a 1:2 macro feature, and is <$175 brand new (or something like that). All in all, one of the "best bang for your buck" lenses out there.

**So what trick in Photoshop are you talking about to get rid of the CA? I use the clarity tool because I find that the lens correction/CA does nothing for CA in my photos (maybe I don't know how to use it). Either way I find that the clarity tool helps a little bit but find it impossible to completely remove it.

in photoshop all you have to do is open up the Hue/Saturation tool, then go to the BLUE channel. Then eyedroppers on the bottom of the window will show up. click on the very left one. then sample the purple fringe area (zoom into the photo to get close). that will select only that color of the photo. then drop the saturation slider to -70 or so. goes right away!
09-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
QuoteOriginally posted by hockmasm Quote
in photoshop all you have to do is open up the Hue/Saturation tool, then go to the BLUE channel. Then eyedroppers on the bottom of the window will show up. click on the very left one. then sample the purple fringe area (zoom into the photo to get close). that will select only that color of the photo. then drop the saturation slider to -70 or so. goes right away!
Holy $hit!!!! You are a F'ing genius. The CA correction tool for both RAW and JPG photos are garbage. They do nothing, absolutely nothing to help fix CA but your method is by far the best I have ever seen/used and it is extremely easy to do.

**That deserves a reputation bump.

Seriously, this makes my Tamron 70-300mm lens the best 300mm tele ever (just my opinion). Because the CA was the only thing hindering the lens. The sharpness, contrast, color rendition, over IQ is just as good as any other tele in its class and now that CA is not a problem, I cannot ask for a better tele.

09-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member
hockmasm's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 354
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Holy $hit!!!! You are a F'ing genius. The CA correction tool for both RAW and JPG photos are garbage. They do nothing, absolutely nothing to help fix CA but your method is by far the best I have ever seen/used and it is extremely easy to do.

**That deserves a reputation bump.

Seriously, this makes my Tamron 70-300mm lens the best 300mm tele ever (just my opinion). Because the CA was the only thing hindering the lens. The sharpness, contrast, color rendition, over IQ is just as good as any other tele in its class and now that CA is not a problem, I cannot ask for a better tele.
glad you liked the tip. are you using it now?
09-25-2010, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member
hockmasm's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 354
Original Poster
Since so many people messaged me for a more in-depth explanation of how to remove purple fringing, I posted a tutorial on my website here: How to Remove Purple Fringing in 2 Easy Steps
09-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian
kyteflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,337
Thanks for the tip, I use the 70-300 often, and in fact of the 9 shots I have on PPG, 5 were taken with it... so that says a lot about how good it can be, IMO. think its probably one of the more under-rated of the non-Pentax lenses. And, its relatively lightweight as well, so easy to handhold and still get decent 300mm shots.
09-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
QuoteOriginally posted by hockmasm Quote
glad you liked the tip. are you using it now?
I've used it on many pictures past/present and it works like a charm everytime. Thanks again, one of the most useful tips I have ever received.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lens, pentax lens, photoshop, slr lens, tamron 70-300mm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Tamron 5.6 300mm lens wildlifephotog Sold Items 4 09-18-2009 10:55 AM
Best budget tripod for a K20D kit lens and a Tamron 70-300mm lens. shaolin95 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 13 08-29-2009 11:53 AM
Question about Tamron TAMRON AF 28-300MM F/3.5 - 6.3 XR DI LD ASPHERICAL LENS zone24russ Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 01-07-2009 11:18 PM
I got the Tamron 70-300mm DI lens - do i keep this??? cruiserlan2000 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 03-15-2007 10:42 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:32 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top