Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Raynox 150 not giving me better macro :(

Hey guys! I got my Raynox 150 in the mail today. I've tried it with my pentax 50-200, and sears 135mm lens on my K-X, and it seems like I'm having to move even further away to focus on objects! I am very sure I put it on correctly, as it matches what is on the box.

Anyone know what could be the culprit? Thanks in advance

09-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #2

Original Poster
Actually it does give me close pictures, but the DOF is VERY VERY shallow
09-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #3

Stop down and use a shorter focal length until you geta better handle on using it. DOF will look very thin when focusing because the aperture will be wide open, but will improve when the lens stops down for the photo.
09-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SirJangly Quote
Actually it does give me close pictures, but the DOF is VERY VERY shallow
That is the nature of the beast. At 1:1 magnification at f:10 you can expect a DOF of about 1mm.

At f:20 it'll be about 2mm, but maybe not as sharp because of diffraction effects.

Dave in Iowa

PS it is the result of lens optics - The only thing you can do is to stack multiple images if you must have more depth at the same horizontal resolution - or abandon traditional lens type optics.

Last edited by newarts; 09-23-2010 at 03:57 PM.
09-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the world of macro! As Dave says, yes, DOF is very shallow. i'd suggest getting a book on the subject, or just browsing aorund - there are some decent online references on the subject as well. No one ever said it would be easy...
09-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys I know I should do more reading, but as I'm in my second year of nursing school, I tend to do little reading and a lot of complaining I will go outside and use the tripod, I find the slight movements while doing his by hand make it near impossible to keep what I want in focus
09-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is an attempt at doing closeup/macro with an FA31mm Ltd on an extension tube (A 2x TC with the glass removed). The lens glass was nearly touching the part in the center. Taken at f8.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
09-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SirJangly Quote
Thanks guys I know I should do more reading, but as I'm in my second year of nursing school, I tend to do little reading and a lot of complaining I will go outside and use the tripod, I find the slight movements while doing his by hand make it near impossible to keep what I want in focus
There is quite a lot of learning and practice required for good results wth close-up or Macro (I do only close-up) photography because:

DOF becomes very shallow.

Light falls away, so have to use wider aperture, which makes DOF even shallower.

Subject movement (due to wind) intrudes, so need faster shutter speed (which means a wider aperture, so shallower DOF)

(Of course, using digital, you can simply increase the ISO and use stacking in PP)

With handheld, you really have to polish up your focusing and shutter release technique (as well as your ability to gauge subject movement and prevent camera shake -VR &SR are useful here)

I simply use film (hand-held) and just try harder.

All good fun: you do improve with practice.
09-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When shooting macro's its a constant battle against DOF, light, sharpness, colors, bokeh, etc.

More so than any other type of photography I can think of

Its not easy, but it sure is fun
09-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #10

Original Poster
Would I be better off getting an older macro lens, or should I just stick with the raynox?
09-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Everything that has been said about the difficulties of macro shooting apply to *all* methods of macro shooting. The Raynox is no different. Well, DOF might be even shallower, but still, no matter *what* you use, you have to accept that you will need to stop way own to get much DOF, and that means you will need to figure out how to get enough light and how to hold the camera steady enough, etc.