Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 12:47 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would recommend against DA* 50-135/2.8 due to its SDM problems. However, if you shoot portraits and willing to spend money, then either DA 70/2.4 Ltd or FA 77/1.8 Ltd could be viable options. If you're willing to engage in manual focus (including verifying and potentially fine tuning your camera(s) for that purpose) then A 50/1.2 is a wonderful optic that can be used with great success for children portraiture. Also FA 50/1.4 although reportedly soft wide open is not badly soft. And if you close it even to f/1.8 it tightens up nicely. But with apertures wider than f/2.0 you would have to manage the focus very accurately.

Just few cents from my modest experience.

09-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I'd probably keep the Tammie, whatever I did. I wish I'd gotten hold of one before the prices of everything went up: I ended up with an old Sigma 28-105 for a substitute (Which I actually like a lot but can get really fussy in the bright, and for events and stuff I'd rather have more consistency-requiring-less-of-my-attention. The 'extra' length is fun and handy, though. )

Since Pentax isn't currently making anything in that range, I don't know if there's an upgrade *from* that Tammie unless you wanted more wideness, which it seems you don't. In film days, my preferred standard zoom was a 35-105, and the Tammie basically does that job.

The lineup I'm looking to assemble would include the FA 50 and probably that Tammie.

For longer lenses, I'd have no particular suggestions: I'd be likely to want to just use like a 77 or 85 for the longer end of portrait work, and how nice a longer zoom I might or mightn't need, and in what range, would depend a lot on what I was doing.

The 50-135 might be in the running, (Nice lenses, though the SDM-only might be inconvenient for me) or perhaps I'd prefer to spend the money on something longer, or either a longer prime+humbler tele zoom.

My suggestions are, a) That Tammie's just so useful you may as well hang onto it, unless it's not doing it for you in some other way, and b) Consider what else you might be wanting to use these lenses for: it might help you figure out a good combination for you.
09-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the tammy and am happy with it. Now, you say that you shoot baby portraits. If you are talking about your kids, they grow up and then the tammy does not seem wide anymore to take the full person in (at least that's what i felt when my daughter started walking and running). At that point I added a 18-50 2.8, and that has been very handy.
09-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
If bokeh is the reason you want the FA50, you might be surprised your 28-75 might not be as poor as you imagined.
I have both the 50 1.4 adn the Tammy 28-75.

The Tamron hardly leaves my camera. I do a lot of portrait work and family stuff, and the tamron has been a jack of all trades for me.

I will say, though, that when I do shoot with the 50 1.4, that I find myself admiring the bokeh much much more.

I also have the sigma 70-200, and while I love the image quality and focus speed, It somehow rarely gets on my camera.

09-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'd probably keep the Tammie, whatever I did. I wish I'd gotten hold of one before the prices of everything went up: I ended up with an old Sigma 28-105 for a substitute (Which I actually like a lot but can get really fussy in the bright, and for events and stuff I'd rather have more consistency-requiring-less-of-my-attention. The 'extra' length is fun and handy, though. )

Since Pentax isn't currently making anything in that range, I don't know if there's an upgrade *from* that Tammie unless you wanted more wideness, which it seems you don't. In film days, my preferred standard zoom was a 35-105, and the Tammie basically does that job.

The lineup I'm looking to assemble would include the FA 50 and probably that Tammie.

For longer lenses, I'd have no particular suggestions: I'd be likely to want to just use like a 77 or 85 for the longer end of portrait work, and how nice a longer zoom I might or mightn't need, and in what range, would depend a lot on what I was doing.

The 50-135 might be in the running, (Nice lenses, though the SDM-only might be inconvenient for me) or perhaps I'd prefer to spend the money on something longer, or either a longer prime+humbler tele zoom.

My suggestions are, a) That Tammie's just so useful you may as well hang onto it, unless it's not doing it for you in some other way, and b) Consider what else you might be wanting to use these lenses for: it might help you figure out a good combination for you.
I got the 50-135 for some theatre work, but it just wasn't wide enough. Then i got the Tamy 28-75 and it does all my theatre work. Yesterday i was at a film festival and taking shots for the fun of it. Because there was evening outdoor movies and indoor stuff, i used the DA 21 a lot, and the FA 50 even more. Just carried the 21 and 50 around with me, one of them being in the jacket pocket.

But i like your thinking. the 21, 50 and 28-75 would make a nice travel kit. perhaps with a manual 135 if I wanted reach.

Saw some folks carrying some heavy zoom lenses that would make a 28-75 look like a prime - felt some sympathy for them :-)

Last edited by philbaum; 09-27-2010 at 12:37 PM.
09-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #21
Forum Member

The Tamron 28-75 is my primary walk around lens. The price/performance ratio would make it a keeper for me.
09-29-2010, 05:48 PM   #22
m8o
Veteran Member

@ the OP...

Well as Pentax ownership usually goes hand-in-hand with LBA, I don't think you should be asking/considering "upgrading", rather "supplementing". We expect you to have a 1/2 dozen or more lenses at minimum.

Stick with the Tammi and never get rid of it as it's plain excellent at the range it covers and is the best value at that. Get something wider or narrower in focal length, or get yourself some fast primes if you're feeling LBA take hold. (I guess you're not addicted to eBay then/yet either )

p.s. the Tammi 28-75/2.8 was what I decided on as my 'kit' lens when I bought the K10D body; i.e. it was the 1st lens I owned. I'd never get rid of it.