Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is this?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I found this on KEH and wonder what it is. Is it a lens, or attachment? Description says:
ATTACHMENT LENS (85-210 F4.5) 58MM

Of course there is no photo of it. And no other info on it either. I was looking for extension tubes.

Pentax Manual Focus ATTACHMENT LENS (85-210 F4.5) 58MM - KEH.com

09-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Maybe this. http://cromignon.pagesperso-orange.fr/objectifs/alpa/alpa%20m42%2085-210mm%20f4.5.jpg
09-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Could be but it says Attachment Lens. I once had a Sigma MF zoom in that range (don't remember exactly what it was) but that lens came packaged with a closeup lens in the case. My guess would be something similar to that closeup lens.

09-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
If they still have it in stock next week, I'm going to order it just so I can see what it is.

Thanks Jeff for your comments. As there is no photo all any can do is suggest what it might be and being as Danny up above there, shows a lens, I'm not sure that's what this is either.

09-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
Inactive Account

This may answer your questions..

Pentax SMC Takumar Zoom 85-210 f4.5 M42 w/ BOX- PERFECT - eBay (item 170544399403 end time Sep-28-10 16:40:04 PDT)

It says:

QuoteQuote:
It comes with front and rear cap as well as the original lens shade and the close-up attachment stored in the Pentax fitted leather case w/strap.
Just like the Sigma I was talking about.

09-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can always call them up and ask. I've found the sales help there pretty knowledgeable and actually helpful.

NaCl(what a novel idea! helpful sales help)H2O
09-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I came across that info Jeff when using google search. I wondered at the time if that you posted was the same thing. I guess that would mean they are both the same thing. I still thinking about getting it. I could use an in between lens too.

And yes, NaClH20, I know/knew I could call KEH and ask.

Last edited by photolady95; 09-23-2010 at 05:44 PM.
09-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Your link still works...

09-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, I was looking in the wrong place when I thought it was gone.

Also, actually the one you posted at ebay is M42 and the one at KEH is K mount....I think. It's listed under Pentax Manual focus lenses. It doesn't say M42 on the description.

And it's added to my wish list.
09-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
Inactive Account

You mean like This one?

SMC Pentax 85-210mm F4.5 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database

There doesn't appear to be an M version of the lens, only K and M42..

Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR-ZOOM/Super-Takumar Zoom 85-210mm F4.5 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database

The lens database makes no mention of the attachment for the K lens but does for the M42 lens.

09-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'll call KEH tomorrow to verify it's not M42. Even so, I think it would worth having for the price and I can buy an adapter for it if it is M42.

As I said, it's listed under Manual Focus lenses/converters. KEH has a separate listing for screwmount/M42 lenses.

I'll let you know tomorrow what KEH said.
09-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Good luck with it but I'm not getting the impression that this is actually a 'lens' but the Closeup attachment that was once Included With the lens. I could be wrong though.. I would be extremely shocked to see a K zoom in any condition (other than filled with dirt) for $17 these days. Especially from KEH.

09-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I'll call KEH tomorrow to verify it's not M42. Even so, I think it would worth having for the price and I can buy an adapter for it if it is M42.

As I said, it's listed under Manual Focus lenses/converters. KEH has a separate listing for screwmount/M42 lenses.

I'll let you know tomorrow what KEH said.
Photolady, it may be that they are selling the macro lens only. No 85-210 zoom, just the "attachment lens" = "close up filter". In that case you need to have a camera lens that takes 58mm filters to be able to use it. No m42 adapter will help.

The DA55-300 for example has 58mm filter threads if I remember correctly, and it could work well on such a lens to decrease the close focus distance and give you better macro capacity.

About the (K) SMC Pentax 85-210mm f4.5 (aka SMC Takumar...). It had a close focus distance of 3.5m (!) which is why it was sold with this "attachment lens", which was just a good quality (SMC) close up filter. It was replaced by the SMC Pentax-M 80-200mm f4.5 which was both smaller and had its close focus minima distance reduced to 1.6m.

I believe the "attachment lens" was marked exactly like the text in the add, and when people try to sell camera gear without knowing what it is it often happens that they just copy what is written on it. I may be wrong, but check this first. It would be sort of dissapointing if you expect an 85-210mm zoom and get a single close up filter.
09-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Jeff and Douglas, thanks. I believe you're both right and it's just the close up lens that is for sale. I will call them tomorrow and find out what it is for sure. When I first posted, I thought why would they have a lens in their closeup equipment list. The other thing was the zoom capabilities were enclosed in parentheses.

So tomorrow afternoon I'll let you all know for sure.

Douglas, my Sigma 70-300mm is 58mm thread.
09-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Jeff and Douglas, thanks. I believe you're both right and it's just the close up lens that is for sale. I will call them tomorrow and find out what it is for sure. When I first posted, I thought why would they have a lens in their closeup equipment list. The other thing was the zoom capabilities were enclosed in parentheses.

So tomorrow afternoon I'll let you all know for sure.

Douglas, my Sigma 70-300mm is 58mm thread.
Looks like you can give it a good home then... The price is not bad for a close up filter if it is good. I sometimes cary some 58mm close up filters with my 55-300 when I travel light, as a low weight macro option. It is not as good as a real macro lens of course, but better than nothing.