Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
Inactive Account

m42 adaptor is loose in the mount- regularly falls out?

Hi, I recently bought a m42 adaptor and as far as I can tell it shares the same design as the official pentax model. It goes in the mount fine, the leafspring stops the adapter rotating counterclockwise- but there is nothing to stop the adaptor (and lens) from rotating clockwise- i know there is no locking pin to secure the lens, but surely it can't be this precarious?

this is the adapter
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

thanks

also, while we're on the topic of m42- how does the super takumar 1.4 compare to the pentax m 1.4?

09-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is not the same design as Pentax Adapter K. The official Pentax adapter does not require a tool to remove and remains locked in place until you depress the locking spring with your fingernail.

Which Super Tak are we talking about? There were 4 different versions. The Early 8 Element, the 7 Element, the S-M-C, and the SMC. Consensus opinion in the lens reviews gives the Super/S-M-C/SMC Tak a slight advantage over the M. The 8 element receives a perfect 10 from all 5 reviewers.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/

Last edited by boriscleto; 09-24-2010 at 07:58 AM.
09-24-2010, 07:59 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
Hi, I recently bought a m42 adaptor and as far as I can tell it shares the same design as the official pentax model. It goes in the mount fine, the leafspring stops the adapter rotating counterclockwise- but there is nothing to stop the adaptor (and lens) from rotating clockwise- i know there is no locking pin to secure the lens, but surely it can't be this precarious?

this is the adapter
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
In my experience the over-rotation of an m42 adapter can be prevented by making sure the machined junction between the adapter's ears and its barrel is squared rather than rounded. Here's a photo with the pentax version on the left and a third party version on the right.

Use a small file to square off your adapter's ears where the join its barrel, at least near the little screw that holds the spring. This will prevent much of the over-rotation events - but not all - it is possible to over-rotate a genuine Pentax adapter as well.

A better scheme is to put a groove or indent into the base of your lens so the mount's locking pin holds the lens in the correct place.

Dave in Iowa

PS the tool used for the third party adapter is just an added convenience. It works with a genuine Pentax adapter as well as with the third party adapter. You can use your fingernail instead of the tool in either case. In all the 3rd party adapters I've seen the spring design is the same as in the genuine Pentax version.
09-24-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Great tip, thanks Dave. Rep given.

09-25-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thank you

he's sending me a replacement adaptor so i'll try that, and i'll try it on a different k mount body
if it still doesn't work then i'll have to decide whether to file it off or get a refund and buy a genuine adapter, hmm

thanks for the tip, rep given
09-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I just did the ebay thing and found this and ordered one...looks "genuine"? I keep missing the ones sold here

original Pentax M42 PK adapter DS DL K110D K100D super - eBay (item 110324244970 end time Oct-30-10 17:01:25 PDT)