Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Funny you mention this because when I saw the lens itself, I told myself that there must something missing inside!

JP
I enlarged and checked the two pictures and I think the focusing helicoid is jammed. Reason for that is the second picture with all the paint that is missing off the focus ring. looks kinda like someone took a strap wrench to it in an ungentle manner.

09-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Guess that means it won't be as good as my Sigma, lol.
09-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
"parts only" it's broken for sure
09-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #19

So you did take a look at the lens?

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Funny you mention this because when I saw the lens itself, I told myself that there must something missing inside!

JP

09-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Yeah, I saw that listing earlier and I'm watching it.

Impossible to tell by the pics what the problem is. Hell, it's an A*300/2.8, if it still lets light in, how bad can it be?

But on the other hand this is the biggest camera chain in Canada (I think). I'd have to guess that they'd at least have a crack at fixing it since it's a $2k lens when it works.

Focus ring won't turn? Aperture doesn't work? Fine. But if it's missing several elements, well, then it's obviously a paperweight. :P
eBay and PayPal buyer protections do require the disclosure of obviously known issues...just because it's listed in as-is/as-found condition failure to disclose any obvious issues such as broken or missing elements would be fraud and the buyer would win a dispute. I have had this conversation with eBay's head legal counsel. In fact he was quite specific in this area of as-is/as-found. He showed me several examples of intentionally deceptive ads that were real and had been tried over the years. And yes, I once had that level of access to eBay top execs as I was a consultant to them for a number of years. Doesn't mean I trust them completely but know they are not all bad folks, some are genuine and care, of course most of them have left the company over the past few years...sad, very sad...but that is a whole different topic...hehehehe....

Still the parts alone are worth the current price. I could see it getting to the $1k price eventually, people have the money and like to tinker and can't resist a deal. If I had the cash I would go for it just to tinker and hope to eventually be able to fix it and have spiffy bit of glass.
09-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #21
Veteran Member

you guys had been warned. it says it's not working and for parts only. so don't expect that you could use it.
09-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #22
Veteran Member

exactly Pentaxor...it's prolly totally borked so buyer beware, it's likely going to be a long term repair job or very spendy if you try yourself. I would think the odds of an easy fix situation is higher from a private seller compared to a place like Henry's...unless it was a rental and they simply don't want to put more money/effort into repairs, or does Henry's not do local rentals?

But I mentioned what I did because there are limits to what a seller is allowed to get away with using the as-is/as-found comments, especially sans photos of any outward physical damage. In other words anything that can be seen has to be shown to allow the potential buyer the chance to make the most informed decision possible.
09-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Henry's doesn't do rentals themselves, they have another company offer rental pickups and drop offs through their stores. They don't offer Pentax rentals to the best of my knowledge, and certainly not something as rare as an A* 300mm. There isn't much in the way of rental options for Canadian Pentax shooters.

09-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Henry's doesn't do rentals themselves, they have another company offer rental pickups and drop offs through their stores. They don't offer Pentax rentals to the best of my knowledge, and certainly not something as rare as an A* 300mm. There isn't much in the way of rental options for Canadian Pentax shooters.
Thanks for the details...so likely it was not a rental, maybe a estate/tag/yard sale sort of thing a staff member found or the rental company found it under a bunch of stuff in the warehouse/lense morgue in the basement and just did not want to screw with it considering the money is likely better as an outright sale...

It will be fun to watch and hope someone here wins it so we can find out details later on...I seriously wish I had the cash to toss around and go for it, but I don't and won't...still living through someone else is cheaper!! hehehehe....
09-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #25

lol maybe i'll get another 300mm 2.8...the first one I bought turn out to be a Tokina 300 2.8 for Canon FD mount...Then I still have K20 so I try to convert to K mount...but didn't get to it, right now try to make it EF mount lol...Maybe I'll get this one and make a "Pentina" 300mm 2.8 lol....
09-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Well someone won it and for less than a grand but what about shipping cost.? HHMMM So that pushes a broken lens really high in price to about, well you can see. WOW! I notice no one asked any questions of Henry's, well at least by way of the regular eBay form for questions about an auction. So I guess this really does work for Henry's. I even went to the trouble of check one local lens repair shops and did find out that 2 will work on AF only and one other on MF only plus there are a couple more. So probably someone will have a great buy I guess. They did top out a way above what I could have dreamed of affording. I hope someone on here won it!! That way we can find out about it!
09-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #27

I ask questions but no reply. only bid up to mid $400, i need money for a house down payment so can't really go any higher...Come on, who got it?
09-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Final price: $663 US plus $25 for shipping (and whatever taxes come out to, if applicable).

Not a bad deal if the lens is complete and can be repaired for under $1000 or so, but awfully expensive if it turns out to be a paperweight. I wouldn't want to be the one sourcing parts for it.
09-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Final price: $663 US plus $25 for shipping (and whatever taxes come out to, if applicable).

Not a bad deal if the lens is complete and can be repaired for under $1000 or so, but awfully expensive if it turns out to be a paperweight. I wouldn't want to be the one sourcing parts for it.
it says there specifically for PARTS only. so there is no way that it won't cost the buyer to have it repaired or have replacement parts, especially the optics. the lens is already discontinued so that makes it much harder. anyway, it's a dangerous deal indeed and $700 is no joke.
09-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #30
Site Supporter

I asked them about what was wrong earlier in the week. No response = no interest.