Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shortage of rare glass? Who feels like living dangerously...

A* 300 f/2.8 listed for $23.27 with about 6 days left at the time of writing...

SMC PENTAX-A* 300mm f2.8 ED IF LENS/PARTS AS IS/$1 - eBay (item 300471811748 end time Sep-30-10 09:51:51 PDT)

Reputable seller (they have retail stores across Canada), but they aren't willing to offer any explanation of what's wrong with the lens.

Are all the parts there? Has it been dropped? Is an element damaged? Or is it something simple like a sticky aperture? Who knows.

How much would you be willing to risk on a lens that could easily be worth $2-3 thousand, or that could be a 3 kilo paper weight?

09-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
A* 300 f/2.8 listed for $23.27 with about 6 days left at the time of writing...

SMC PENTAX-A* 300mm f2.8 ED IF LENS/PARTS AS IS/$1 - eBay (item 300471811748 end time Sep-30-10 09:51:51 PDT)

Reputable seller (they have retail stores across Canada), but they aren't willing to offer any explanation of what's wrong with the lens.

Are all the parts there? Has it been dropped? Is an element damaged? Or is it something simple like a sticky aperture? Who knows.

How much would you be willing to risk on a lens that could easily be worth $2-3 thousand, or that could be a 3 kilo paper weight?
Yes, that is interesting. I think I will email them and try for details even if they do say in that description that it is "Non working". I once bought a Tamron lens that was listed as damaged for .99, yes 99 cents and shipping of $10 and it turned out to need a rubber ring around the zoom ring and an Adaptall-2 unit. But in every other way the lens is in perfect condition. Taking chances can pay off. I doubt i will pay anywhere close to $100 including shipping for this for I am not a lens repair person.
09-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Yikes! Sitting in that aluminum box it looks just like the a*400/2.8 I picked up off the bay this year. I promise not to let the a*300 go for $23!
09-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
Yes, that is interesting. I think I will email them and try for details even if they do say in that description that it is "Non working". I once bought a Tamron lens that was listed as damaged for .99, yes 99 cents and shipping of $10 and it turned out to need a rubber ring around the zoom ring and an Adaptall-2 unit. But in every other way the lens is in perfect condition. Taking chances can pay off. I doubt i will pay anywhere close to $100 including shipping for this for I am not a lens repair person.
Yes, I think good lenses are listed as non-working more often than we might think. I ordered a "non-working" Pentax lens from KEH for $20 just to disassemble and play with. Turned out to be the Nikon version of the lens, thus it didnt work worth a hoot on a Pentax camera. It was flawless and I easily resold it for real money when KEH did not even offer to pre-pay shipping to get it back.

None of this leads me to believe that the a*300 is fully functional however unless Henry's tells you they tested it on a D90!

09-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have members here in this site who brag how they intentionally inflate worth of pentax
len's for bid on E-bay with no thought of buying, just driving up the price.Part of it is effort to 'scare' off people, no doudt. Other parts sound like some loose knit 'drunken'
conspiracy to have some young folks spend a whole bunch of money needlessly.
You get what you pay for I guess.Didnt take a look at link, if they offer unconditional return, what the heck? Ive bought my last Pentax piece new or used.
09-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Didnt take a look at link, if they offer unconditional return, what the heck?
Ah, but that's part of the mystery. No returns, no refunds, no warranty
09-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It' well indicated and this is why the low price or no refunds
QuoteQuote:
Item specifics

Condition: For parts or not working: An item that does not function as intended and is not fully operational.
09-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I saw that listing earlier and I'm watching it.

Impossible to tell by the pics what the problem is. Hell, it's an A*300/2.8, if it still lets light in, how bad can it be?

But on the other hand this is the biggest camera chain in Canada (I think). I'd have to guess that they'd at least have a crack at fixing it since it's a $2k lens when it works.

Focus ring won't turn? Aperture doesn't work? Fine. But if it's missing several elements, well, then it's obviously a paperweight. :P

09-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I've been wanting a lens like this for quite some time and now, here's one .... that doesn't work!?!??

I know this store very well; Henry's is a place where I bought a lot of Pentax stuff while residing in Ottawa.
The staff is great and knowledgeable but, this time, it is their online "eBay" store, so no technicians, as they well mention, to tell what's wrong with it.

I think I am going to start bidding on it anyway!

Thanks for the hint guys!

JP
09-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Current bid 35 bucks, I'd bid 40 just to use it to beat Canikon users over the head with!
09-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Worst thing you can do with it if it doesn't work is to make a cup (or would this be a stein?) out of it.

For that price the case alone is worth it.

jpzk, I hope you win it at a very low price. If you do, please let us know what (if anything) is wrong with it.

Last edited by chalion; 09-24-2010 at 04:46 PM.
09-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
It' well indicated and this is why the low price or no refunds
IT also states they have no technicians on site and will be unable to answer questions about the lens.
09-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chalion Quote
Worst thing you can do with it if it doesn't work is to make a cup (or would this be a stein?) out of it.

For that price the case alone is worth it.

jpzk, I hope you win it at a very low price. If you do, please let us know what (if anything) is wrong with it.
I am waiting a "couple" of days -- auction ends September 30th at 09:51:51 PDT (what is that ? Pacific Day Time? Partially Disturbed Timing?), so that gives me some room to move in when the time is ripe.

I'll most likely make it automatic bidding to a max I feel will satisfy my curiosity.

Sure, I'll let you all know what happens.

JP
09-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

One wonders if this might be like the one a couple months ago that reputedly was sold and returned with all but the front element missing...
09-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
One wonders if this might be like the one a couple months ago that reputedly was sold and returned with all but the front element missing...
Funny you mention this because when I saw the lens itself, I told myself that there must something missing inside!

JP